Ford Explorer with roof rail issues

So I have a 2019 Explorer Sport with less than 15k miles on the odo. Some time ago, I noticed that the roof rails towards the back of the car have become detached from their frames. Once I put the car through the wash, and it came out with both ends of the rails 3 feet in the air, I knew this had to get addressed. Brought it in and they claimed they fixed it. Within a week, I noticed the same issue had recurred. Then I receive a recall notice in the mail for this and brought it back in for a second repair. Parts ordered, dropped the car back off, picked up the next day. Lo and behold, this time the fix lasted about two days. Been reading online that this is very widespread hence the TSB. Others have lost their rails completely in the car wash, or on the road on particularly windy days. So now I am thinking this is a safety hazard and thus a liability which I do not need. I decided to escalate this to FMC since their TSB is clearly useless, and all they are able to do is act as an intermediary between myself and the dealer. So based on FMC’s recommendation to go back a third time, the dealer flat out said that we need new rails, but they are on backorder with no date in sight. It’s a leased car, so I can’t even remove the rails without having to deal with lease end charges from Ford Credit. That would have been a permanent solution.

Anyone have any advice on how to deal with this? On the outside, a detached roof rail seems like it’s a minor problem, but if that thing blows off, it has the potential to cause a big problem. Thanks in advance.

If the dealer agreed that they are going to replace them, can’t you just ask them to take off the ones you have currently and put in the new ones when the dealer can get their hands on them? That’s the easiest solution.

Now, if you insist that you actually need those rails that’s a different matter. I don’t know if lemon law applies here…

1 Like

As someone who leased a couple Fords, I remember their quality well. Chances are yours won’t fall off, if it does it’s not your fault, and if you are that worried and they won’t put you in a loaner until parts arrive:

:point_up_2:t2::point_up_2:t2:

2 Likes

Valid point. I suppose I can ask them to take off the rails, although the frames will still remain, which in all likelihood would be an eyesore. Can deal with it for a short amount of time, but judging by Ford’s lack of commitment to resolving this issue, who knows how long it will be until the replacement parts come in (if ever).

Is it the rails or the covers? I see a TSB for the covers and the “fix” is to pour more glue in there. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10169810-0001.pdf

Unless something broke in yours, the replacements are going to have the same issue, as in hold until the glue wears out. If you are comfortable with DIY like this, just perform the same repair (sanding, cleaning) but with stronger adhesive.

But honestly check the lemon law in NY, if you are still a fit under the milage guidelines, be a pest at the dealer to fulfill all other obligations, for example number of repair attempts, etc.

Yes I guess it would be considered covers. That fix is what Ford is advising dealers to complete and it is useless. Based on a quick google search, it’s clear that everyone who has this issue is in the same boat as me with multiple trips to the dealer. It has to be a design flaw which means the replacements would also yield the same results, I agree with you there. The worst part is that I am getting the feeling that Ford is working hard to brush it under the rug. The more they do that, the more adamant I get.

Unfortunately, I think a Lemon Law claim would be a futile exercise because of this statement: “The problem does not substantially impair the value of the car to the consumer”.

Had the same issue, mine flew off in the car wash. They “fixed” it but it happened again, so the replaced it. Hood paint bubbled and peeled too and the repainted the hood, along with a bunch of other issues it had. Loved that explorer but wow did it have issues.

3 Likes

That phrase shouldn’t discourage you as it’s vague. What if you need to use the rack daily? What about the time that you are wasting dealing with this neusance. I’m not going to tell you what to do, but if everything else about the car like milage and time still qualifies for a lemon, I would drive the dealer nuts until they basically admit that they can’t fix it

1 Like

It doesn’t cost anything to have a lemon lawyer look at your situation and let you know if it’s an option.

4 Likes

How much longer is the lease for?

Honestly I’d either take the rails off or personally I’d go buy a tube of 3m 5200 and use it generously, let it cure, and you should be good to go.

1 Like

I always hated that there was a stigma with American cars but honestly, I get it. If not the quality alone, the customer service at the corporate level and at the dealer level is just so bad that it makes me say never again.

True. I think that I am going to give the dealer and corporate the benefit of a little more time to come up with a solution and if that fails, I will speak to an attorney. To not even be able to provide an estimated stock date on a replacement which they claim will work (I’m skeptical) is ridiculous.

1 Like

That’s not unique to American brands. Honda was pretending for 8 years that their transmissions are not failing, Nissan is still acting like their CVTs are not the biggest garbage in the world. Subaru declared that losing a ton of oil between changes is normal. The list goes on and on. As a single consumer in a captive contract they don’t care about you. If it wasn’t for those pesky lemon laws and litigations they wouldn’t even have a phone number listed.

2 Likes

1 year left on the lease and if not for another one of Ford’s blunders, I would have sold off the lease with equity and gone my merry way.

Taking the rails off completely with written acknowledgement from Ford and Ford Credit that I won’t be penalized at lease end would be a solution I could live with. But if I were to try to fix this on my own to no avail, I can all but guarantee that the dealer will use it against me when a future repair is needed.

1 Like

As much as I hate the saying, “you get what you pay for” does ring true.

Why? All talking to an attorney will do at this point is let you know your options, what info to keep track of, and if you are coming up against any time deadlines. No reason to kick the can down the road.

3 Likes

Fair point. This is why this forum is such an invaluable source of information. Appreciate the input from everyone.

1 Like

Was just talking to someone who used to have an Explorer Police version, and there is apparently a police edition roof rail delete kit that replaces those shit rails with a cover of some sort. He doesn’t know if they are available at the dealers, nor do I know if that’s a good idea to have that substitution when it comes to lease end. But that might be another thing to discuss with the dealer if they have them, can replace your rails with them under warranty, and at the same time if ford financtial will accept the modification.

Seems like a lot of work for a 1 year left lease, but throwing it out as having more options is always better than less.

Yeah I would definitely remove the rails - they’re useless as they are anyways. But that would be a permanent solution so I couldn’t revert back to the original broken condition at lease end.

Ford has finally recalled them

1 Like