[FOR NJ] Best Tesla Deals - Lease or Purchase

, ,

In order to walk out with just ~$1k due at signing (destination fee, tags etc), do I put $4k due at signing, or do I put $0 due at signing when I order?

When you go to order, Tesla will automatically default your cash deposit amount to $4,500, and at the bottom, you will it listing the “Charge up NJ incentive” for (-$4,000, see my screenshot)

After you place your order, the app will allow you to change the terms of the lease. It was at that time that time that I adjusted my “additional charges” to amount to $4,250 (see screenshot)

Bottom line- the only thing I have paid for is the $250 deposit on my AMEX card. And no- I don’t expect to pay another cent towards the lease, less the additional 35 monthly payments for $404.48 (we only took a 10k mileage per year lease, as this will be a 3rd car at our house, with less the summer months, only 2 drivers residing in my household)

I will post back tonight after taking delivery, to validate if this held through (or not) when I take delivery, or if they insist/require that I pay the acquisition fee “out-of-pocket.” If they do insist/require the acquisition fee when taking delivery, I plan on having a “friendly” conversation of why they are contradicting the terms of the lease paperwork I signed via the app! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You may not even see a soul at pickup. Terms will be exactly the same as seen in your app.

Source: my tesla pickups

1 Like

A car made for short people

4 Likes

That’s why I bought one for my wife :smile: But don’t tell her…

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Did you just buy a Tesla and get quoted crazy insurance?

Tesla isn’t the friendliest “lease return” company out there…my friend just got dinged for four tires and curb rash (nearly impossible to avoid on the base M3 wheels).

Unlike other car companies that will negotiate or waive fees (esp if you buy another one), Tesla is not so lenient.

So take care of that puppy and don’t drive it too much! Tires are $400/each.

1 Like

I’m 6’ and stocky, don’t have much of an issue getting into or being in the car while driving. Getting out does feel a little weird though because my left foot always smacks into the sill for some reason. Might just be me being clumsy though. Seats are comfortable which was surprising. The TeslaTainment center as I call it does act a little glitchy from time to time and I’ve reset it a couple of times already. The space upfront is not bad but the back as you mentioned will not keep a full grown adult happy for more than an hour or two. The drive is definitely planted and you can feel that it is a heavy car for its size. Not too fast out of the hole but the mid range pull is very nice and can be addicting. Its not user friendly for someone who may not be too tech savvy - get calls all day about it! lol For what it is and the price, I don’t think anyone can come close to it at the moment.

1 Like

I’m sorry but your friend’s ignorance needs to be called out. They could have easily measured tread depth and seen whether they were below the min requirement.

Then they could have bought brand new tires for ~$170 each if necessary (buying them in November/December could have gotten better pricing or at least some utility out of it). Even less if they bought used tires or bargain basement brands purely for the sake of returning the lease.

5 Likes

Good to know! I will be fine as I am crazy with my cars (ie- I’m the guy that won’t park anywhere near other cars and detail inside and out all the time). Plus I plan on keeping those (ugly) plastic rims on, over the aluminum wheels (I didn’t get the 19" ones)

1 Like

The $404 ID is a little surprising to me. When I calculated it a little bit ago, I got around $360 a month.

So, you’re telling me that I’m not the only crazy guy who parks at the end of the mall parking lot and doesn’t mind the extra walk? :smiley:

2 Likes

Drives my family crazy when we are together- and yes, I’ve even detailed out my car before returning my lease or trade-in!

1 Like

Confirming that:

• I paid $250 via my AMEX for the order down payment
  • Used the $4k NJ EV rebate as my down payment
  • My monthly payments are $404.48 per month/36 months/10k

So yeah- for $250 “down” at $404 per month, I couldn’t be more pleased with this lease. Plus charger was $650 less -$250 due to the NJ EV charger rebate and my EV installation was $675 with a full NJ rebate of $675 coming my way.

Not a LH “hack”, however- just a happy guy who is thrilled with all this.

6 Likes

Exactly right!!!

Nice deal!

You couldn’t combine the charger and install costs and get the 1500 rebate, or is the 1500 for install only?

1 Like

There are (3) unique EV rebates currently in NJ:

• $4k towards the purchase/lease of an EV vehicle under $45k (thank you Tesla for lowering your prices, thus making the Model 3 eligible)
  • $250.00 towards the purchase of a home EV (select brands only)
  • up to $1,500 towards the home installation of a home EV charge (however- only eligible for select EV chargers only)

All and all- these incentives make for a good reason to consider leasing a Tesla 3- which was NEVER on my list to consider.

5 Likes

Thanks for the clearest explanation yet of the NJ EV incentives.

How did you fare on insurance? I might just get a quote tomorrow and inch closer to doing this.

Also, can these leases be transferred in case you want to get out before termination?

2 Likes

Thank you. Just out of curiosity, if you don’t mind sharing it, what was your timeline? So that I know what to expect…

If I can get the 7500 fed credit + 4k NJ on a purchase, any reason not to buy it outright in NJ?