Financing a full-sized SUV (Tahoe, Yukon, Sequoia, etc)

When I was in Dubai this SUV was everywhere. In the Middle East, they have the v6 or v8. In America, families have Suburban, Yukons, and Tahoes, but on that side of the world, it is either a Landcruiser or Patrol two of the most reliable vehicles.

1 Like

I don’t really know how the cost of ownership of a Sequoia/LX stacks up against a Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade. All vehicles have some costs, and anecdotes online typically devolve into one-off experiences instead of average/normal expected costs spread across hundreds of thousands of vehicles.

My personal opinion is that while a Toyota/Lexus may be more reliable overall, the cost to service those vehicles is higher due to lower volume sold. So parts and labor with Toyota/Lexus will offset the possible cost of a premature failure on the GM offerings.

And of course, that magnetic ride isn’t going to be cheap to repair if that specific part ever konks out… so it may be worth looking at if there is an extended warranty that actually covers it.

But, if you shop for a 10k miles vehicle at least you know you’ll have some manufacturer warranty remaining to determine if that specific vehicle is worth your while to keep for the long haul once the base warranty ends.

That’s why some people just stay on an endless lease treadmill and never drive a car beyond 36k miles. Lifetime warranty spread across dozens of vehicles haha.

Patrol two of the most reliable vehicles.

Exact vehicle that came to mind during this discussion. Legendary suv.

1 Like

Yeah like me. Paying $1400 a month to sit at the shop with no end near. Wagoneer told lawyers best they can do is offer $8000 for me to keep it. I said no way… Lawyer said take it back 2-3 more times to dealer for same problem and it will be a nail in the coffin then

1 Like

Yeah that sucks. I definitely had you in mind, but didn’t want to add insult to injury. :upside_down_face: Its a shame Jeep can’t get their :poop: together. I respect the brand and I wouldn’t mind having a GW at some point… but man.

How long has it been and how many visits has it had? I would assume you have to be damn close to lemon law.

4 visits, 65 days total

Wagoneer thought process, which makes sense from their POV, is car is too new with only 2500 miles on it so it can be “salvaged” by fixing it. Lawyer said they will drag their feet because they will need to fork up EVERYTHING because usually they deduct miles, wear and tear… blah blah. She said take it in for 2 more repairs and it will be a done deal.

I think it varies by state, but I believe ours is 4 failed attempts and 30 days of being inoperable.

Its something to do with electrical I would assume. Did they at least give you a decent loaner? ha

No loaner either

1 Like

Since I bought it from TN but live in NC… I need to follow TN laws, which is 6 repairs

In most instances to qualify under a lemon law your vehicle must only have an unreasonable repair history under the warranty, including (but not limited to) 3-4 repair attempts for the same problem, 6 repairs total on the vehicle, or 30 days out of service by reason of repair.

The no loaner is the worst part of this IMO. Granted, this doesn’t apply to many of us on here… but a fair majority of households don’t have several vehicles. What does the average Joe do a situation like this? Rent for months on end? :laughing:

I’m sure everything will work out in the end. Just difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel right now.

Are my eyes deceiving me? A conversation about an non-EV at LH.

I’m buying a lotto ticket today. Something weird is happening.

2 Likes

Season 2 Carly GIF by Paramount+

1 Like

I told wagoneer that I need a loaner and will rent a car. They said they will reimburse so let’s see lol

1 Like

Does this also apply to the new 2025 QX80?

Of course not. 2024s are cheap because they’re being replaced by the 2025

1 Like

:rofl: :joy: NO.

The programs haven’t even been released yet. The QX80 also leased poorly for quite some time… I wouldn’t expect the brand new version to be any different. If anything, its going to be worse yet.

The driving experience of a grand Highlander vs a suburban is not comparable, and relative space doesn’t mean more space

The OP asked about buying used, value, and reliability issues. Unless he has to have a Sub, I’ll venture that a brand new GH is a much better value proposition than a used Sub at the same price point.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about anything under 40k miles so long as you find a unit with a documented maintenance history. Some GM trucks from 2021 had lifter issues that can cause the engine to seize up so be careful.

You can buy a GM extended warranty after the original warranty ends - a 48mo/48k mile warranty was around $3200. Big maintenance watch out would be brakes so have any unit inspected. Transmission fluid flush happens around 30k-50k miles and would be around $800 or so depending on the brand and dealer.

Overall finance rates are 6%-7% depending on your credit. Most dealers are slapping on bullshit add ons but it’s been easy to negotiate them away.