Financed BMW X7 x40i $1665 pm 60 months

, , ,

I can find out.

Thanks, asking for a friend!

Hey guys before I take delivery what should I do about tires, the unit comes with 22’ inch rims and performance run flat tires, while for the summer they might be good, not so sure about winter. I’m also worried about the harsh ride reports on the RF vs non RF
A: buy tire and wheel insurance from dealer for whatever they charge (about $1750 for 5 years but will need to confirm with them) and then stick with the RF tires they would supply
B: buy a spare tire kit from somewhere and swap tires right away for all season non run flats (and sell the RF tires). Some places have road hazard warranty on their tires for several years so only real thing I’m losing out is on the wheel coverage
C: keep the RF for now until all tires need replacing then change out to non RF

I wouldn’t buy wheel & tire insurance from a BMW dealer, you should be able to find it much cheaper via a third party. I also find this more convenient because you can just go to a tire shop to get it honored.

I think you will probably find the RFs fine for now. Especially with NJ roads in the winter.

I wasn’t even sure how their insurance would work, do you happen to know who offers tire and wheel insurance for such a long period for cheaper? Ive seen something about AAA but they are also like 1600.

Never had anything that was on RF that I can remember. Why do you say it would be fine on nj roads ,it’s winter season and these are summer tires, and the potholes here are just simply out of hand, with the 22’ inch wheel itself i’m kinda worried about the rims

I get my wheel and tire insurance from Rodo, they will sell it as a stand alone product. I paid $399 for 39 months of coverage on my GMC (aligned with my lease term). It does vary by vehicle.

My point with the NJ roads is ride quality is pretty poor on any tire (ie: high road noise). I would give the factory setup a chance first

So basically you’re saying option c. What was your experience with them, have you ever gotten tires or wheels fixed/replaced? what’s their process

Actually I am considering a similar question. My new m440i is arriving soon but it comes with non RF tires. So should I get a spare tire kit or change to RF tires?

I’m not sure about the m440i but the x7 has a space saver spare tire kit for $150 if you didn’t order yet. It’s best bang for buck you’ll get out there. Aftermarket on those will be minimum $400
Edit: hold on you got non rf without a spare tire??

Sounds TGTBT for 22” rims with RFT.

These plans are sold for massive markups but let’s assume there’s a tiny markup and the plan costs $1,500. That means the plan provider is ONE rim replacement away from being in the red

This isn’t the way insurance companies look at P&L. Every claim is typically a net-loss for an insurer, if compared against only the revenue generated by that claimant. Profit (lots of it) is derived from analyzing P&L across a group, where a very small percentage of the group are actually making claims.

Also… most of these tires and wheel policies are capped, usually something like $5000 maximum lifetime benefit, or in some cases I have seen limitations based on number of wheels or tires. So maybe you get 2 tires and 1 rim…

1 Like

The bigger issue is your X7 is being delivered with summer performance tires. Both the tread compound and the tread pattern will be TERRIFYING in a New York winter. Massive, big, heavy truck and below 40F you’re basically riding on Teflon.

You want Option D: buy a separate winter set mounted on 20" winter wheels.

3 Likes

Maybe ask the dealer to change them out with all seasons on the house for safety.

22’s don’t have the rear manufacturers size of 315/35/r22 in all season. I doubt dealer would put on different size even though people have posted it to work.

You are then messing with the cars programmed suspension, transmission, speedometer etc. lowest is 21’ and costs a lot for a winter setup.

How so? The overall diameter is the same… less rim = more sidewall on the tire.

My old X5 came with summers from the factory so I swapped to 315 width Continental DWS06 all-seasons immediately. Not a great choice, as they were bad in snow. I later switched to dedicated winters and it was a big improvement, but still not great. 315 is just too wide to dig into the snow IMO.
If you have space and budget for slimmer winter wheels/ tires, I’d recommend getting a set. You’ll prolong the life of your stock tires. In the long run, may not be a huge cost difference.

(I had a second set of 22” wheels with Pirelli 295
width tires and they were not good in snow either, so I’d recommend slimmer )

If you’re looking to save some money, 20” wheels/ tires usually cost a lot less than 21s. You may have to go aftermarket. Tirerack is a good place to research wheel sizes and offsets. Plenty of online calculators to figure out tire diameters and speed changes.

2 Likes

Going with dedicated summer and winter sets is great but the weather here is something like, two n half solid months of winter and two n half solid months of summer everything else is kind of a huge mess, one day 60 degrees next day 45 and next can be anywhere between 35-65. Going will all season will probably be the most worthwhile and money saving, maybe I’ll just go with 285’s square setup.

Respectfully, for a guy spending this much on a car you are pretty clueless.

I am 99% sure that the summer performance tires on the X7 you are getting are on staggered wheels. Meaning the rear wheels (not just tires) are wider than the fronts. The wider rears are for aesthetics. There is no performance advantage on an xDrive car.

You want a SEPARATE SET of winter wheels and tires in a “square” set up. That means the wheels and tires are the same width front and back.

The X7 is a huge and expensive status symbol. But you won’t enjoy it much while you’re driving a Kia rental while the Bimmer sits in the body shop because you rear ended a Town Car on the FDR with your Teflon tires.

2 Likes

From a quick search, fronts are 22x9.5, rears are 22x10.5.

Pirelli all seasons 285 all around will fit all 4 wheels.
I’ve run square winters on OEM staggered wheels on a 6 and 7 series before without issue.

Screen shot from tire rack