Fair App - any good?

Hey Sean,

Please arrange with our Concierge team; they may be able to find a similar car closer to you.

@shaan I’m interested in trying out Fair, but wondering if you still have promo codes available still.

1 Like

Anyone here on LH can tell me if a deal on fair.com is good or not? First, the carfax says it was a rental before it was auctioned off in another state and is now at a Subaru dealer here in the LA area. Should this scare me away - the rental part. Secondly, can someone tell me if the lease price is “fair”?

This is the car https://www.edmunds.com/subaru/crosstrek/2017/vin/JF2GPABC0HH248044/ and on the Fair app the monthly lease is $240 plus tax 9.5% = $263.00

I also used Shaan’s promo code so I don’t have to pay the $800 start payment (thanks Shaan!).

I am interested in using Fair to avoid locking into a 2-3 year lease. Thank you.

I’ve purchased two used cars from Hertz in the past. Both were perfectly fine. I would not let that be a deal killer.

I’ve been looking at Fair as well. My sense is that it may not be the best deal possible, but you are getting a good deal with incredible flexibility.

Thank you. I did pick up the vehicle from the dealership today. Very easy transaction. I signed my name in the app and drove off after they explained all the vehicle gadgets and hooked up my phone and spotify. No dealership paperwork at all. Yes, I could have leased a new 2018 Crosstrek 2.0i base for $199/month for 36 months with $1,979 as posted on the Subaru website (or tried for a leasehackr deal) but for $30 more a month, I like the incredible flexibility as you say (and a couple of key upgrades with the Crosstrek 2.0i premium). I recommend the Fair.com app.

1 Like

So I just wanted to update LH on my Fair experience. I picked up the car linked above on Sunday. At the dealership I saw some things that I thought I could live with, and then the next day, I noticed more things that bothered me. So because I know I can cancel within 3 days of picking up the vehicle, I called Fair and let them know I wanted to return the vehicle. They told me I can only use the return within 3 days rule once every 12 months so I should be sure when I select my next vehicle, that I want to keep the next one at least a week (you can change your mind with a 5 day notice). So I spent Monday looking and test driving other vehicles until I found the one I was willing to keep a week for real.

Anyway, I just wound up with the same kind of car but upgraded the trim level. Also, I decided to avoid vehicles that were first titled as rental cars, even if they are CPO, look hard at the paint to see if any possible body work not showing on Carfax, and finally, I suggest testing your phone and the charging and audio/app settings. The first vehicle would not charge my phone nor could I see my songs playing via Spotify - I could hear them fine through the system, but the screen only showed the first song that played when attached - this was annoying. These seem fixed in the second vehicle I selected as the entertainment system is a bit upgraded. I learned to search the dealer websites for the cars listed on the Fair app and paid more attention to the Carfax dates, services, titling, etc.

Anyway, so far I am very impressed with the customer service of the Fair concierge team members. I am sure I am a pain in the ass, but they made it easy for me to just return and reselect, and I am grateful that I did not have to be stuck with a purchase that I was already regretting. It is worth trying out for sure if you are at lease end and unsure about getting into another 3 year commitment, or like me at lease end and about to be an empty nester so only need bigger vehicle until August and then I can scoop up a sexy coupe once the kid is gone to college.

3 Likes

So can we assume that your FairApp deal was for the 2018 Crosstrek 2.0i Premium at around $229/month with 1979 down ?

Shaan, Do you have any promo codes for the New Year?

CC @Jakester

Hi Leasehackr Friends!

First, a warm thank you for the discussion and reviews of Fair – we really appreciate the honest feedback!

Today we are live across all of CA, notably including the SF Bay Area, Sacramento, San Diego, and of course Los Angeles.

Please feel free to use promo code SHAANR100 for up to $1,000 off your Start Payment (expires 2/28/18). This promo does not cover monthly payments or taxes, fees, and registration.

As always, feel free to email me with questions: shaanr@fair.com

• Shaan
1 Like

My current deal is $260 + tax for 2017 Crosstrek 2.0i Limited with $324 OOP with coupon, and month to month no minimum lease term.

My first deal, which I returned within the first 3 days no questions asked, was $240 + tax for a 2017 Crosstrek 2.0i Premium with $528 OOP with coupon and month to month no minimum term.

1 Like

When are you coming to FL/ NJ ?

Hey SeanB – just wanted to let you know that we launched a Geo Filter in our app to narrow down inventory to a more comfortable radius. Let me know if you have any questions!

When is the Android app coming out approximately?

I am still on the fence.

Android will be available sometime this Feb. Until then, you can also use an iPad to get a car with Fair :slight_smile:

Just noticed the FAIR app is available for Android users.

Looks like an interesting service if they ever expand out of CA.

1 Like

Just ordered a car last week still havent heard back from them yet. The price is pretty much the same as the new one if u can find a avg hackr pricing. The only benefit is flexibility as I seen so far.

You selected a car in the App and they have not gotten back with you? Is the car you want still showing as available? I had to wait two days to get the car I selected because they were a new dealer and had to get trained, but they did keep me updated via emails and phone calls because they wanted to give me a time and day to pick up the vehicle and not come too early. That was my 2nd FAIR car. My first one was ready the next day since they were more experienced with the process.

I would follow up with the concierge at the main telephone number or email. I keep saving cars to my favorites (click on heart) in the app because I like to save vehicles I think are good deals (usually hybrids or luxury vehicles) or newer than the Subaru I am currently driving, but they become unavailable VERY quickly, I am not sure if it is because the dealer is selling it themselves or if someone is used the FAIR app to “rent” it, but now that Android is available it might become more competitive. I think it is a great way to try out a car without commitment. I am very happy, but I still look for lease deals or a good purchase price.

Hey @Stevn0816 really sorry to hear about that delay!

Please email me (shaanr@fair.com) and we’ll expedite ASAP.

1 Like

Shawn, do you have any plans to expand to NY/NJ area?