EV or PHEV recommendation

Hello Hackers!

Just starting a hunt for a new vehicle for commuting to the train station (approx 5 miles each way). For this one I think an EV or a PHEV sound ideal, not least to save the hassle of filling up with gas. Have been out of the game for a bit and looking for recommendations - main criteria are price (sub $500 for sure), 4 wheel drive, and hopefully somewhat cool, interesting, or fun-ish to drive.

A brief search of the marketplace shows what seems to be good deals on polestar (haven’t seen in person or driven), but what about bmw i sedan (do you really need to get the higher model for x-drive?) or tesla model 3, any deals on those? Anything else to consider?

Thanks so much for any input you have!

Great prices on the ioniqs right now

1 Like

EV will have much better lease deals, PHEV will be more practical. If all you’re doing is commuting to the train station, EV will be fine.

Yeah I’m leaning towards EV too. The house we’re moving to already has 220v charger installed and I wouldn’t need to charge it more than once every other week most likely.

Are those good cars?

Id certainly consider them

Do you prefer the 5 or the 6? I’ll have to stop in to the dealership to check them out.

5 is a SUV, 6 is a sedan, it depends on YOU. BTW those specials end tomorrow, no guarantee they will be there next week.

Maybe not on these but there will certainly be more lease deals on EVs coming. There’s still a lot sitting on lots, and China is coming…

1 Like

IMO Nissan Ariya is a way to go for Your needs

1 Like

The Ariya (which also may end tomorrow) is leasing for <$300 OTD right now and it’s huge car and if you get the Evolve you have almost the same features as the 5 limited.

Some Ariya platinum trims can be had for $300-350/month OTD too.

The last day is Monday, not tomorrow (Sunday)

Thanks. I’m going to test drive the polestar tomorrow. Don’t think there’s a Hyundai dealership in Manhattan but maybe I’ll swing into the Nissan to check those out.

I’m still a couple of months out from pulling the trigger but if I can at least narrow down to a couple of cars I like then it will make it easier to focus when it’s time for me to shop for the best deal.

Then this is all moot. Every price point being discussed has an expiration of tomorrow or Monday. The marketplace could look very different in two months.

3 Likes

There are brokers offering $300ish polestars with upfronts as well as some other cheap EVs. @aronchi @nyclife

How long have these deals been going on for? If just a few weeks then I understand your point. If it’s been a couple of months already then what do you think will happen to cause things to change?

The ev mania has been going crazy this month. Its mainly on 23s that are probably about to lose lease support too.

3 Likes

Ok. Thank you for the context. Sure, understood the prices might be higher, maybe by a little and maybe by a lot. Will have to work on a deal closer to when I’m ready for a car as I assume most of these deals are for in stock cars anyway, and the deal becomes a not-deal real quick if I also have to pay for parking in the city for a few month.

Get the polestar. Had one for 3 years. Just had an ev6 rental, no comparison. Polestar just feels much better, and it’s infotainment system is much better (probably best in the field).

Hope it’s better than the Volvo one, that really sucks as an ‘infotainment’ it’s more like ‘screen jail’

1 Like