EV or PHEV recommendation

The android automotive system in the polestar is not the same as the Sensus system in most Volvos. It’s clean and intuitive. Much better than my new BMWs system.

I test drove the RWD Polestar over the weekend. Overall it seems like a good car. The infotainment was overall ok. I don’t LOVE the lock in to google maps for the main screen, it’s missing wireless CarPlay (only wired), and the backup camera kind of sucks — can’t do backup + 360 simultaneously, and neither of the views is that good. Otherwise it felt like a solid car and was nice to drive.

Agree about the wired-only CarPlay. But it worked fine and on both the main screen and instrument panel.

The google map lock you speak of I am not sure what that’s about. I never used google maps (except to nav to DC chargers for battery preconditioning).

Never had any complaints about the cameras, I thought they were great - super crisp and clear. I suppose there’s enough real estate to show multiple views, but never felt like the system was lacking.

Compared to other cars I’ve driven, it’s overall way better.

Also, my advice is to spring for the dual motor (I think it’s the same price now as the single - as a promotion). The extra power is incredible (when you need it).

Thanks for the info. It’s possible the cameras were dirty or something on the test car, I’m not sure. By the google maps lock I just mean as the default map for the main screen in the car. Good to know you can use whatever you want via CarPlay. Agreed on the dual motor, I need the AWD anyway.

If the car will be solely for commute, then going both EV or PHEV works. It sounds like you’re in the Northeast given the reference to Manhattan and your requirement for all-wheel drive or dual motor capability. I would nonetheless lean towards an EV from the use case standpoint especially for a lease given these factors:

1. Small commuting range covered entirely by EV battery even in colder temps
  2. Ability to precondition (heat or cool) the vehicle both when connected to your charging station or while parked in the commuter parking remotely.
  3. Potential EV charging deals with public charging or taking advantage of home off-peak energy rates (especially given the small daily range).
  4. EV lease deals are generally stronger given the OEM incentives surrounding ZEV credits in CARB states are a strong motivating factor vs. PHEVs
  5. No oil changes needed on an EV even after a year of low mileage / usage vs. PHEV’s which still needs to change oil after a year due to oil degradation. Depending on manufacturer, the cost could be covered in the maintenance plan (e.g. BMW) but you still need to take time to visit a dealership to get the service done.

I would vote for an EV. Hunting down a BMW EV lease deal around $500 per month is possible in the Northeast given BMW’s ZEV requirements + BMW loyalty if that applies. Best times for them are end of the month & end of the quarter. The very best deals for BMW EV’s show up at the end of the year in case your timetable is longer. From a feature and driving dynamic perspective the Mercedes Benz EQ lineup is closer than the polestar. I still prefer the Ultimate Driving Machine but the EV deals on the MB EQ lineup are hard to ignore.

Thank you for the detailed write up and suggestions. Yes your assumptions / guesses are all correct. And agreed I am leaning toward pure EV for convenience / no gas fill ups / low to no maintenance etc.

Good idea re the EQS I will look into it. Always been partial towards BMW and not a fan of the only MB I’ve driven (GLE 350), but curious about the EQS and if the deals are better then why not… no need to be too picky since I won’t be driving it much!

Why not get a BMW I4 e35? THose can be had for $500 a month.

Due to the all-wheel drive requirement of being in the Northeast then he would have to hunt down the BMW i4 xDrive40 that has an MSRP of $61,600 or the BMW i4 M50 with an MSRP of $69,700 to get the dual motor setup. The hunt is a major part of the fun and I would still prefer BMW eDrive or xDrive dynamics because the fun isn’t lost with BMW’s electric propulsion.

Personally, I’m having a garage and drove many i3’s in the snow before and I wouldn’t shy away from a RWD vehicle in the Northeast equipment with snow tires. Everyone in Europe is driving these rear-wheel-drive BMW’s with proper winter / snow tire setups and not skipping a beat in heavy snow. Then, just sell the winter / snow tire setup on bimmerforums as there’s a lot of BMW enthusiasts that snag them up. I nonetheless understand the simplicity of an AWD vehicle with all-season tires which is sufficient for the 5-mile commute the OP described.

2021 Tesla Model 3

• it’s under $25,000 so you can get the $4,000 EV Tax Credit at the dealership
• you have a year to add Tesla’s 2yr extended warranty

http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/2A69F6B0.

That doesn’t qualify

• 2 Owner Car so the rebate is rejected
  • STRUCTURAL DAMAGE - Stay away

https://www.truecar.com/abp/api/vendor/autocheck/reports/j6o9dykwtpUyivNaSgbZu-3VgzQ6-4okM8nMV6wRQLiw3aRgOzlS_Q

That’s not the same vehicle I’m showing you

The one I posted has a vin ending in 3789.

1 Like

Interesting, I wonder where I got shifted to a similar but different VIN.