EV Discussion Thread

WIll you get $14k from a dealer or 3p when trading it in today with the average of 15k/year or 75k drive miles?

I ask that because the edmunds TCO pegs the Camry and Leaf on two different stratospheres when it comes to depreciation.

3 Likes

Dealers are selling 2018 Leafs for $14k because they qualify for $4k used EV tax credit. It’s worth $10k because private party sales don’t qualify for the credit

3 Likes

Who drives this much? Give me a break. This is the land of the 7500 mile lease is it not?

Our iX already has 20K on it after 6 months :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

It’s up for transfer.

1 Like

You got me. According to the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Highway Administration (FHWA on average, drivers travel 13,476 miles per year on U.S. roads.

In seriousness, its a YMMV situation, same way not all customers are getting their vehicles on a 7500/18 month term.

1 Like

Can you get a sub-meter for a car that would be subject to TOU rates while keeping the rest of the house on the current plan?

And I recall reading years ago about dirty little secret that nobody ever talks about: CA utilities are essentially guaranteed double digit profit margin the way the laws are written.

1 Like

Yeah, with the new net metering 3.0, people that install solar now get much less for electricity sold back to the grid. When nem 1 and 2 expire for current users, it’s almost free electricity for the utilities who will just resell for pure profit

Electrons sound pretty complicated in CA. I feel bad for you guys.

Haven’t been watching much news this week and just saw this gem

1 Like

So this will be the third person I’ve met that’s tried to tell me “b,b,b,butt aren’t EVs worse on the environment?” In some stupid ass Tucker Carlson style of questioning.

First thing… ITS NOT MY JOB. I’m the consumer here, not the government nor the industry executive. My choices are limited, so don’t blame me.

Second… NO… EVS produce much less emissions from the production to the lifetime of the vehicle.

Here’s a nice study from MIT… anyone heard of them? Not as prestigious as Joe Rogan, but close, right?

MIT Study on EVS

And the US DOE says this;

“Using the nationwide average of different energy sources, DOE found that EVs create 3,932 lbs. of CO2 equivalent per year, compared to 5,772 lbs. for plug-in hybrids, 6,258 lbs. for typical hybrids, and 11,435 lbs. for gasoline vehicles.“

Bringing this up in hopes all of us EV folks can stick together and feel positive we’re making an impact here.

2 Likes

I’m not making a statement for one vehicle being environmentally better than another, but CO2 emissions is only a small part of the environmental impact.

4 Likes

The study accounts for the production of the vehicle as well. Yes, EVs are more energy intensive to produce because of the co2 emissions required to mine the materials for the batteries.

However, the total emission output is much less once the vehicle is in use when compared to a gas car.

And again… it’s not our damn responsibility as the consumer. There’s no better option — yet.

1 Like

I am saying there are other emission/environmental impacts other than just c02 emissions.

Thanks for the nice summary. With fusion technology at a more advanced stage, who knows one day you may buy a car with little reactor running inside and sufficient electric energy for it’s lifetime.

1 Like

no you won’t. not in this lifetime.

2 Likes

You never know my friend. With the rapid pace of technology advancement, we may see some form of energy independence soon…

Considering there were evs over 100 years ago I’d imagine we will only get the technology that’s most profitable. Regardless it’s important to have many competing sources of energy for several reasons.

5 Likes

It all depends on your individual situation, too many factors involved to generalize. In most cases however, EVs are not investments because they depreciate so rapidly. However if you are spending a HUGE amount of money on gas, and have access to very cheap or free electricy (via solar panels for example), then the savings could be seen as an investment in that it will save you a lot of money over a gas car. If that’s not the case then I would lease. EV technology is advancing at breakneck speed, cars released today will be almost obsolete in 5 years. Sodium Ion batteries are the next big breakthrough (made from salt and common elements instead of rare minerals and not prone to fires). China is already selling cars with sodium ion batteries. Also expect a wave of very cheap Chinese EVs to soon be flooding the market. I say lease instead of buy!

And go back and forth in the timeline too! :slight_smile:

2 Likes