EV Discussion Thread

Yeah people will charge at EA for free religiously to save money. The closest charger is like 20 minutes to my house and although I sorta pass by on my commute it’s still out of the way.

Even with 800V Ioniq 5 charge times it’s still 20 minutes or so sitting in a parking lot when I could be home charging in my garage. I did the math and each session would save me like $1-2. Time is money so I haven’t dcfc in almost a year, but my utilities only charge $0.11 per kWH.

2 Likes

Im pretty disappointed with my experience so far. One EA station had all stalls down even though it showed available on the app. The other had 1 stall down and 3 people in line. Both EA spots had people constantly coming by. Other non EA chargers seem to be in varying states of disrepair and pretty hit more miss. Id rather pay for charging and have it be available and reliable.

Coming from a tesla, I took superchargers for granted as there were always 8+ stalls and rarely a wait.

1 Like

Not sure if right thread

Congrats Texas

1 Like

California already has about $200/yr higher registration fees for EVs. I don’t think it deters people from driving EVs. I checked the EA app around 9pm and 3 were still marked unavailable, 5 in use, and 2 available. Are these people driving back home at 9 or locals just saving a few bucks?

1 Like

They won’t be the last state do this. As more people transition to EV, states have to get money from somewhere to maintain roads, bridges, highways. Not to mention the upkeep from the increased demand the electrical grid will see. ICE drivers in Texas pay $0.20/gallon tax. I don’t see why EV drivers should get to use the same roads for free.

1 Like

As more of these EV leases come down… I really was interested in the following non-Tesla EVs:

Ioniq 5
ID.4
EV6
Ariya
Mach-E
GV60

Of these, the ID.4 , Ariya and Mach-E seemed more SUVish (read roomier and higher ride)… whereas the Ioniq 5/EV6/GV60 Korean cousins were more hot hatchy.

The Mach-E just doesn’t have any good leases yet and of the ID.4 and Ariya, the Ariya has slightly better features but no true one-pedal driving and slower charge times (and also no free charging).

The GV60 also doesn’t have a good lease yet… but between the EV6 and the Ioniq 5, I preferred the roominess of the Ioniq 5 despite the hot hatchiness.

If they were all the same lease cost and disregarding free charging, I would lean towards the Mach-E (Premium trim though).

Ford now expects $4.5bill loss for EV division in 2023. Up 50% from their Jan estimate of $3bill.

Now targeting a more “gradual” ramp-up in EV production.

2 Likes

Seems like a good business decision. Reduce the number of EVs produced since you’re losing money on each EV. Ramp up when the manufacturing process becomes profitable or at least break even.

Personally I signed up and installed the FPL EV charger at home, cost me 38$/month. And don’t need to sit in a garage, or check for availability… best program ever !

Ford not selling EVs as fast as before due to many factors… I’m sure if they incentivized leases and added Fed pass through they could move their growing inventory.

I would also consider the Volvo c40. The msrp might be higher than some on your list, but the advertised lease programs look competitive.

The FPL Evolution is a pretty good program right now. There are a few long term draw backs but mostly its pretty good. You are locked in for 10yrs, only the registered car can charge, rates are not fixed, times can change, nor is there a guaranteed charge speed (thats why you have to have a steady wifi connection).
They’re not doing this to lose money and these are the people that said it was to cloudy in Florida to support solar!

So your plan for them to make more money is to have them…lose more money?

SBF approved game plan.

1 Like

Not sure what do you mean by ‘only the register car can charge’ as with all mean I charge whatever I will need to be charged.
And yes I am locked at 10y but look at the price that it cost me monthly. And if tomorrow I sell my house, trust me it I will happily pay the ‘fine’ of 800 +/- to get out …

Ford shifting priority to hybrid production from EVs.

Ford loses out to Tesla on price wars. Lost $32k per vehicle in 2nd quarter.

Long-term goal of 2 million EVs per year by 2026 no longer has a hard and fast date.

2 Likes

From my understanding only 1 car can be assigned/designated and used with the installed charger. So if you want to charge 2 cars you’ll need 2 installed. Otherwise whats to prevent someone from sharing this with all their neighbors or condos hooking a few up?

But on the flip side, I have a friend that has a fleet of trucks for his business and set up and paying for this with some of his employees that take the EV trucks home. Says its saving him over $1000 of gas per month per truck.

1 Like

How do they know which car is being charged?

That’s still less than what Rivian loses per EV, and Ford has their trucks that more than make up for the loss. I think shifting to PHEVs is the right move. PHEVs will still be allowed even after some of the states ban the sale of gas cars, and people just aren’t ready to go all electric.

Same way its done at a public charging station. A unique identifier is sent during the initial handshake which confirms its the correct car (kind of like a computers MAC address).

Its also why there needs to be a steady wifi connection, so FPL can constantly monitor and adjust or cut power output altogether if need be.

Everyone reads the big print but hardly anyone reads the fine print, which they count on.