EV Discussion Thread

Driving an EV is so much better when one avoids EA like the plague. Back in summer 2022 I charged a few times at EA for the novelty, and I really never saw another vehicle there.

I recently met up with a friend near one of the EA chargers I used to go to and saw a line of cars waiting to charge–and this is within town and not near an interstate highway so it’s likely local people trying to save some money.

Forget free-EA would have to pay me for me to even consider it now lol.

3 Likes

Pretty much the same. There has been an explosion of EVs in the last 12 months that use EA chargers. Last year, I could waltz into at EA charger and use it. This year, guess what, 30 mins wait time, anytime between 8am and 11pm

1 Like

Everyone, everywhere seems to be angry all the time now. I charge at home, unless I can find a spot at work.

4 Likes

There are simple solutions that charging providers could implement, but they won’t. Just off the top of my head:

• use GPS to estimate number of waiting cars (all of these chargers have apps, so that shouldn’t be an issue), Do not let charging start at over x% when cars waiting
  • start charging $100 per minute for a car that finished charging and is still plugged in (arbitrary amount)
  • instead of queues, have a numbering system in the app, pull up, get a number, charger calls for a number if the car is still in the vicinity.
    I’m sure there are many more ways to deter asshole behavior, but someone must want to do it.
1 Like

Hello All,

Getting a X very soon, just wanted to know if anyone were seeing better rates for APR through credit unions/loaners in SoCal area. Looking to target something better than 6.4% for 72 mo term.

Thanks in advance.

Are you financing rather than leasing?

Edit:
Also this:

Yes, I will be financing it!

Then just charge to a 100% on the weekends. Batteries aren’t so fragile for you to notice wear by doing that in the next decade. Maybe in 15 years, but very few people keep a car that long. There’s pros and cons, so to wake up to a full tank and have it be economical is a win for me.

1 Like

You can’t complain about taking advantage of free charge and then having to plan around that. If someone lives in an apartment complex and buys an EV, then I don’t understand why they’re complaining about EVs because they had the option to not get one. I’m just curious, did you think DCFC was easier than what it is before you got your car or were you planning on getting a level 2 charger? Because I think that for many people, living off of a level 1 charger is possible, but a potential buyer would know if they need to install a level 2 charger for their needs and if they can’t, then buy a gas car.

This won’t be fixed until EA implements a policy where charging after 80%, when the station is full, costs people $1 per minute or something. Obviously, more thought needs to go into it, but the fees need to rocket for people who abuse the infrastructure. Half of this shit would go away if they took away free charging because I’ve met so many people who don’t want to spend the money to charge at home when they can just get a free charge down at EA. Crazy seeing people buy cars that cost $1000s /month and playing cheapsies for like a $100/month.

1 Like

Its painfully slow to go from 90% to 100% while you are waiting at a public charger

These are fantastic ideas and while almost everyone agrees, EA does nothing,. Even Walmart has a better queing system.

With the Mach-E, I’d either charge at home, fight people at office for chargers, or find a free one bikeable distance from home. All worked fine.
I got the I5 with the understanding that I can charge at EA for free. I understand its a bonus for me, there is a station 1.1mi from my home, but the last few times I went to EA, there was no que. Now suddenly there is an explosion.
I just moved into a new home but the I5 doesn’t come with a lever 2 charger. So now I have spend some hundred dollars in a outlet and another 500 or so for a charger. You know what, I’l jsut use EA

I once saw a guy driving a EQS 580 (not 450 but 580), come to Walmart, stay 10 mins in line, and then plug his car when it was already >90%… like why

EA is unwilling owned by VW group… A penalty requirement resulting from “diesel gate.” It’s really not that surprising a company who never wanted to be in this business is doing a poor job running this business. In NJ, it’s not uncommon for VW dealers to use EA stations to charge lot cars.

2 Likes

Sometimes you need that extra 20% to bridge a gap since EA is SLOW at buildout.

Example, Denton to Amarillo which is a 330 mile sector with two single stall bailout options that don’t take you 30+ miles out of the way which tops out at 50kW speed.

There’s a few more examples of this on the EA network but the point remains the same.

You can can get caught up reading LH just for 20 minutes. Or eat a meal… or walk around where the charger is. Or take a nap (which I see people doing).

I’ve started at 30% and it takes less than 18 minutes to get to 80%. If I take the full free 30 minutes… 95%… even on a 150w charger.

I also go at times when it’s less crowded… after 11pm or before 7am but there have been times where I’ve waited longer than I actually charge for.

I don’t mind… free to drive an EV is great and it leased for less than other ICE vehicles I had.

if you guys are banking on Chargepoint being an ongoing concern, you might need to start looking into alternatives

down to $3.58, 62% yoy.

1 Like

EVGo isn’t doing any better

Well if the govt is funding public ev charging stations it makes sense that these private companies would get crushed. I got burnt on PLUG stock when all that was announced. Lost like 50% in a week like most of these stocks did in sept 2022

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure that this is just corporate welfare. Corporations will make a lot of money installing them, but they won’t be maintained so will be useless. Even EA, CP, EVgo have a hard time maintaining their chargers.

Tesla will be a new Exxon.