EV Discussion Thread

I’m comparing a Model 3 Dual motor to an Audi S4, not an A4, as that was a car I cross-shopping it with. It replaced a BMW 1M Coupe as a daily driver (the Tesla became the daily and I added a Porsche GT4 to cover the “fun” part).

I get the Tesla hate but I find much of it misguided. A Corolla doesn’t have 4wd for Tahoe trips, it has less space, it doesn’t have a sub 5 second 0-60 or passing speed that will humble any BMW short of the modern M cars. Yes the interior is austere and I take issue with some of the handling, but in no way should it be compared to a Corolla.

Covered, see my post. Less than 20% of our total energy use is in the highest rate period, something that was not hard to do. That electricity is 50% more expensive than non TOU plans during this time (so the bill would go up 10%) but we’re able to move enough high draw use to lower rate periods (washing, pool pump, dishwasher, A/C etc) that the net overall impact is low single digits percent to the bill. Overall we’re thousands cheaper on TOU even before counting the gas savings.

Did it have 4wd and a sub 5 second 60? I’ll give you that Teslas are not luxury cars but one can’t ignore the space or performance. And I suspect your 5 series isn’t a much bigger as you might think. As I said, happy to run the comparison with anything from 2018 that’s 4wd and has similar space and performance… 3.7-3.8 miles per kWh, not that it makes any difference.

As I said going in- you need to make massively poor assumptions or compare apples and oranges to get anywhere close to an ICE car breaking even. And from my perspective you’re doing both.