Engine replaced during the last month of the lease

My lease is ending this month end and Engine is heating up so took it to the dealer. They diagnised coolant is leaking into one of the cylinders and they need to replace the engine under warranyy.

Is it worth buying the car at the end of the lease as it is new engine? Is new engine means like new car?

Car is Jeep Wrangler
Buy back is 35k
Mileage is 28k

I think most buyers would be extra weary about a vehicle that needs a new engine under 30k miles. I personally would heavily devalue the vehicle assuming it was abused heavily to get to that state (not the case always). You don’t have enough info at all for anyone here to determine if buying it back is worth it at $35k (Plus tax/fees). What trim is it? Some colors make a HUGE price difference. Is it stock? Does it have any insurance claims on it? Does it need tires/brakes/glass/big service?

Also…what model year is this jeep?

1 Like

A jeep with a replaced engine … That alone should give you a good idea to … complete the lease and move on with something else.

8 Likes

A Jeep with new engine at 28k. Count your luck and move on. There’s no way I’m buying that.

3 Likes

You’d be nuts to buy a car that has an engine replacement on the carfax. This is a prime example of why we lease.

11 Likes

Unless it’s a 392 with a residual value of 44k he should run :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Lol even then, im sure an engine replacement reflected on carfax takes big hit.

2 Likes

Car was giving problem from the start about coolant. went to dealer twice so far and they didnt recognise it. Finally coolant was leaking into one of the cylinders.

• Blue color
  • Jeep Sahara 4xe
  • No insurance claims so far
  • I am the original lease owner and my lease is ending soon

I get it from other posts it is not worth buying

Thank you all for the responses - I will run away

1 Like

A Chrysler with a blown engine at 30K miles? This is UNPOSSIBLE!!

4 Likes

Is it sacrasm? can you explain if it is

Yes it’s sarcasm.

then why do we see a lot jeeps? this is my first time with Jeep. never buying it. Fall for the looks never again :slight_smile:

People do all sorts of inexplicable things. :joy:

Watch the Kardashean show
Buy a Jeep
Eat at Taco Bell

The list is endless

Never owned a Stellantis vehicle. Our 4xe has the infamous paint bubbles(corrosion/rust under the paint) in three areas. $65k vehicle rusting from inside out. I actually would have considered leasing the future Gladiator 4xe, not anymore. Now I have to worry about whether I should address the paint issues or not. Will they attempt to blame me at lease return?

1 Like

I will go to the dealer, make issue on this now and get them to fix it under warranty or put it on their system before you got ding on lease return.

Can I return after they finish replacing the engine. I dont take a delivery from them. Just return them…In that case, can they penalise for any issues arise from engine issues>

Bro, You are not cool enough for the Jeep. :joy:

Just make sure there is no early termination fee.

If they’re in 3 separate areas, you can easily argue that that’s a sign of a manufacturer defect. If this is a prevalent issue, then it’s a no brainer.

Yeah, it is a widely know issue on the JL forums. Most have gotten it covered under warranty, some having to put in a fight. In most cases they have to repaint entire doors and hoods. I’ll bring it in before lease end, so at least its in the system I let the dealership know about it. Whether they want to address it, that is up to them I guess.