Emailing dealers with a Male Name vs Female Name - Tips

Because I’m getting a car for a lady, I made an email with her name.

I initially used my standard leasing email - male (Two emails to get quotes, one was for initial pricing to see how leases are, female email to strike a specific deal).

I noticed sales staff are willing to negotiate far more and find special vehicles with more discount when using a female name and throwing a smiley face…

Just curious has anyone run into this?

4 Likes

I bet if you send a pic with some skin, you’d get anything you wanted.

29 Likes

This is great haha! Social engineering at its finest.

3 Likes

My friends and family have had the opposite experience

4 Likes

Ah Fletcher Jones must have a thing for women then haha.

I will say the only female sales person who responded to the female email gave a worse quote though.

1 Like

You should turn your A/B test into an A/B/C test, by also emailing the dealer with a unisex name (Dana, Alex, etc.), and see what they do!

Not sure if this helped me or not, but when I emailed a dealer for them to hit my number, I just included a screenshot of my credit score (800+) and seemed to know what I was talking about, ultimately to prove that despite them not making a lot of money on the car, it’d be close to the easiest transaction they’d have to deal with.

3 Likes

I just used letters in my e-mail address and didn’t specify my name when I tried e-mailing dealerships. I found that very few would actually send me a quote, and the ones that did were ridiculously high. I would also write stuff that made it obvious I knew what I was talking about, but they just didn’t want to budge. I actually got an amazing deal when I went into a dealership and just told them I wanted to test drive and not buy. After the test drive they asked if they could try to beat the deal I was offered in LA for a demo model and sure enough they did.

1 Like

Honestly, and I could be way off with this prediction, I think that the pendulum will swing towards in person visits being the easiest way to snag great deals. With the boom in Internet availability and pricing, dealers prolly are hesitant to share details when the vast majority of people are just kicking tires. I can’t imagine what silly demands they receive through email that people would never mention in person.

2 Likes

You make a good point. In the years I’ve been on this forum, a lot of people have recommended negotiating online first, but maybe I’m just doing it wrong?

1 Like

typically women get worse deals historically speaking.
one customer that i’ll never send a good quote to is a google voice number. #petpeeve

1 Like

As a salesman I’ll say with absolute certainty, the best way to get a good deal is to be nice to your salesman regardless of gender. It motivates us to try and help you get the deal you want.

Nothing pisses us off more when clients coming in and treat us like shit.

We’re humans too. (although often not treated as such)

On the Google voice number thing… I personally hate being inundated with dozens of calls over a long period of time to my personal number so I used a Google voice number to control the stream of voice traffic to my phone. Sometimes I just don’t want my number openly floating around in the ether.

Just an alternative point of view.

4 Likes

LOL that is exactly why I give out my Google Voice number to clients. Plus it makes it much easier to tag people and conversations. Most of the contact names I get are not Gender specific. I also find that people find it easier to communicate with typing when english is not their first language. I do get a kick when I’m contacted by a forum member and they reveal what their Forum handle is. My name is Wayne. Bruce Wayne. by the way I’m Batman2020

3 Likes

Didn’t you buy a Tesla? None of that matters with Tesla…

LoL. Yes I did, but I still lease cars for my wife, so I still get to hang out with you guys on here. :slight_smile: My wife’s BMW X3 lease is up in November, so you’ll probably see more of me. I was tempted to get her a Tesla Model Y, but it’s just not big enough.

1 Like

I am pretty sure without checking that a Model X is bigger than an X3…

The Model X definitely is, but I can’t afford it. :slight_smile: If the Model X was the same price as the Model Y, I’d get it in a heartbeat.

how do you know it’s a google voice number and not a reg number?

I’d like to add that the amount of third party call centers alot of dealers use to “follow up” or “try to get you to come in to test drive” is so much these days that I personally dont have a choice but to use google voice myself.

1 Like

when you call a Gvoice it tells you that it’s a gvoice number.

Yes, I agree. Negotiation works out the best if both parties are happy.

1 Like