Educate me! BMW + Mercedes SUV's

I used to consider myself an all-around “car guy” but wow I cannot tell you the names of any of the new MB and BMW SUV’s!

Long story short, I simply would like to know the mid-size equivalent to a GMC Acadia/Chevy Traverse for each of these manufacturers? Additionally, I’d love to know if there are any ridiculous leases out there on them right now?
Fwiw I’m in Northern Colorado and have both BMW and MB dealers 2 minutes from my house:)

Thanks for any info and clarity.
Mark

2 Likes

“MB - The new GLB is smaller than a Traverse but can be had with three rows. It will lease horribly”

How much do you think it will lease for? Another member is predicting $600+, thought?

Awe you’re not?! Shoot I was hoping you could tell me how much the velar SVAutobiography would lease for! All joking aside it’s definitely an interesting vehicle but only the suckers will pay that much for what it is.

It might be worth chucking in the Volvo XC90 into the list of considerations too? 3rd row isnt huge but it’s almost usable.

Also I’m not sure it’s worth including it, but it’s a thing that exists - Buick Enclave. I actually weirdly like them for some inexplicable reason but I cannot imagine there is an argument that it’s better than a Traverse in terms of value.

I truly appreciate the explanations!

Full disclosure: The actual availability of the 3rd row isn’t important at all…it’s the actual storage space behind the 2nd row of seats. My wife hauls some large bags and a large folding chair for work and when we travel we have 2-4 LARGE suitcases. All this ^ stuff doesn’t fit in anything smaller (behind 2nd row) then an Acadia. For example it doesn’t fit in a GMC Terrain.
Thanks!

I think you’d be surprised with how much room you get behind the 2nd row of the XC90. Room was the reason I got one, and it leases very well (compared to all the abovementioned SUVs).

1 Like

The seats fold down in suvs, pretty handy

Sorry, forgot to mention we need the full 2nd row for humans and baby paraphernalia:) And we need a very particular amount of space in the rear storage compartment. I wish our stuff fit in a small SUV, typically they are less expensive and get better gas mileage but we are stuck in a mid-ish size crossover as the closest option.

Cargo Volume Behind Second Row (cu. ft.):

GMC Acadia: 41.7

Acura MDX: 38.4

Audi Q7: 37.5

BMW X5: 33.9
BMW X7: 48.6

INFINITI QX60: 40.5

Lexus RX 350: 33.4
Lexus GX 460: 46.7

Mercedes GLE: 38.2
Mercedes GLS: 49.4

Volvo XC90: 41.8

The Acura, Audi, Lexus, and Volvo SUVs listed there lease decently. The QX60 is cheap, but doesn’t drive that nicely IMO.

3 Likes

You’re probably better off in a non luxary brand in a higher trim, I’ll throw the Atlas and Highlander in addition to the GM midsize variants

3 Likes

Thanks for all the help and feedback guys.

Very broadly speaking, as of today, can you give me a ballpark on the best lease figures I may see on the vehicles below. No frills as far as options are concerned, just AWD (if not standard). 24-36 Month w/ 10K miles per year. In this scenario, I’ll leave my current lease out and assume I just return it to GMC.

-MB GLE
-BMW X5

With a total uneducated guess, both the GLE and X5 are newly refreshed so they’re going to be expensive, especially in your market.

However, there are too many variables to answer the ball park figure question. Do some research, find the MF, RV for the particular model(s) you want, use the lease calculator. Approach some dealers and come back here with what offers you’ve had back.

1 Like

I’m an old car guy at heart but getting older (almost 40) and having a 2 year old daughter and contemplating another child I’ve basically lost a grip on all the cars out on the road today. The purpose of this post is to ask some general questions about what we should waste our time looking at (don’t worry I won’t be negotiating in person!!) so we can weed out some makes/models well in advance when my wife’s 2017 GMC Acadia SLT-2 lease is up.
Basically my plan is when this lease is up I want to have a list of a few vehicles we’re comfortable with and go with the best overall value we can get on a lease ie the LOWEST payment on a 36/10 lease. Chance will be left up to whatever deals are on at that time…

Thanks fort all info and feedback!!
Mark

Below are non-negotiables:
-Traditionally leases well:)
-Must have black leather interior (no tan, no gray no brown)
-Exterior must be White, Silver, Gray
-Must be AWD (We live in Northern Colorado)
-Rear cargo room must be equal to or greater than our current Acadia
*3rd row is technically not important just the SPACE back there
-Apple CarPlay
-Remote start (small item but OEM remote stare is indeed a requirement)

Toyota Highlander. Done :white_check_mark:

1 Like

Here’s a good list.

1 Like

The Acadia is a big SUV so that will limit your options. The color combos are irrelevant in this request since every brand will have black leather and those exterior colors. All large SUVs will also have AWD at least as an option so that isn’t a limiting factor either. OEM remote start however is hard to come by. Brands other than GM and Lincoln don’t have this for the most part. It is a custom order at best even with luxury brands and hard to find on the lot so this is not a small item to ask for. Aftermarket remote start is easy to add and not all that expensive so you may want to reconsider that as a must.

Michael has a good list there, I’d add VW Atlas to that. And you’re the same OP as the thread he linked to :joy:

2 Likes

Honda Passport checks every box.

I’m paying $340 a month plus tax, $900 DAS on a 36/12 on my passport ex-l. Would be a little more with AWD.

1 Like

2019 or 2020? Or either?
I live the value of Toyota’s and think there are some nice leases to be had (My local Toyota dealer does some pretty interesting bank leases). But I have owned (2) 2018 Tacoma’s (Long Story) and really was underwhelmed with their overall quality, power and technology.
Despite that, I’m not opposed if the deal is right.
Thanks.
Mark