Edmunds Moderators

They are doing such an awesome service to all of us :slight_smile:

replacing with bots may need some structure in place to make the BOT read the comment correctly.

Yes, that’s an interesting question.

1 Like

Yes why doesn’t edmunds just have a drop down box with all the RV MF for given cars. Why do you have to post to get this info. Seems ancient.

Because the terms of the data they provide prohibit that

9 Likes

That’s right.

Tools exist to automate this process but it’s prohibited.

Even dealer desking systems are ancient like Reynolds. You need to plug the same data in every single time you do a deal. It’s wild.

A friend of mine created a tool that automates these processes and sells it to dealers. Sold it to truecar for $27M a couple of years ago

10 Likes

Where do they get their info from?

Car dealers are stuck in the 90’s. Just like their dot matrix printers.

1 Like

Not all of them. Last time I leased I sign on a glass table, all touch screen. In the end you get a usb containing all the pdfs, I was impressed.

6 Likes

I saw that 2 years ago at a Honda dealer…signed the desk…lol…pretty cool.

1 Like

Maybe they do. Maybe Edmunds pays them both 200k/yr.

Does it really matter one way or another?

6 Likes

Tough forum…

I just see it as a very weird practice. Would have thought that things would have changed since 2001 when the legends Michaell and Kyfdx started providing info.

1 Like

I’m sure if they had the option to just publish the numbers, they would.

1 Like

Well why don’t they? Who is withholding this information and why.

This has already been discussed. They are paying for the right to access this information and it’s stipulated in contract they cannot openly publish all the numbers.

Edmunds does a huge service for the community, I don’t understand what the problem is or why it matters how they get or how they post it.

9 Likes

The captives are the ones “withholding” the information. It’s their info, and their choice as to how or when it’s disseminated.

And, as I’m sure there will be some that complain it’s such an archaic system, they should just post the info, they are all slimy, blah blah blah, from their perspective, it’s wise to keep these numbers under wraps, and each and every person complaining would do the same if you were in their shoes to attempt to protect profit. You’re kidding yourself if you think you wouldn’t.

2 Likes

That is deliberate. they want to keep you there as long as possible and grind you down.

2 Likes

It comes up a couple times a year. I even posted the link to an entire discussion from last year, yesterday. Nothing has changed since then. It’s unlikely that it will ever change.

We are lucky to get it at all, through whatever kabuki dance is possible. If you haven’t PMed the Edmunds Mods and offered to send them a gift (which they likely will graciously decline), that’s a better place to focus that attention.

4 Likes

Think about many millions of people just walk in and buy a car without knowing what a good deal is.

I didn’t know where a MF came from other than a black binder at a dealer. Didn’t know it was negotiable and they could mark it up. Thought it was all standard from the bank is what I was told.

Less info to the consumer means more money for the dealers.

Imagine if commercials and advertisements had the base MF and residuals on all their leases how many more people would ask their dealer to match those figures.

This business has very little regulation and it’s like walking into a pawn shop or flea market trying to buy a car.

A broker is the way to go if you can use one. Keeps the deal straight without dealing with sharks.

3 Likes

You have to become a member and give your email address to them. This way they have more members and email addresses. Which leads to more money and more ads.

It’s not about being simple or not. Maybe those guys work from Jamaica with endless :tropical_drink: :diya_lamp: who knows :grinning:

I say they’re both Nigerian princes… and everyone usually gets emails from them once a day

5 Likes