Early Buyout of Acura MDX Lease

Lease, cash purchase or finance?

I am still curious if the lease-first-then-buyout is doable and how that compares with just a cash purchase? I have reached out to a few of the folks who have reported leasing in the past few months to report they buyout amounts but haven’t heard back.

The los gatos dealer didn’t care if I leased or bought. He was $12k off all mdx tech.

So I don’t have a lease through Acura, but I do have one through Honda Financial, which I’d be a bit surprised if it wasn’t the same thing.

My current pay off is quite a bit less than my residual plus the sum of the remaining payments.

@Chuck_Espinoza thanks for the info. That is a great deal. I was only able to get ~15% off MSRP for a purchase 2 months ago but I also was after a very specific car. There was only one example of it in the western US.

I now need to purchase an RDX for my parents and I assume there will be extremely aggressive pricing on those also as they start pushing out the 2019’s.

Great info! I’ll target 26% off MSRP on an RDX purchase and see if I can get there.

@mllcb42 can you share some #’s and details?

Sure can.

I’m leasing a 2019 Honda Passport EX-L FWD

13.6% off before incentives

**MSRP: $37455
**Selling Price: $32350
**Monthly Payment: $342 + tax
**Cash Due at Signing: $915
**Incentives: $500 new grad

**Months:36
**Annual Mileage:12k
**MF: .0024
**Residual: 67%

So far, I’ve made one payment after delivery, so 34 payments remaining.
If we ignore the sales tax part of my payments, the payment sum is $11560 (damn you Honda and your high MF).

Current payoff is $32070.
Residual value is $25094.
RV + payment sum is $36654.

Interesting… Looks like your Payoff is roughly “Selling prince - the payment you already made” which means you can treat the lease selling price as a cash purchase price.

1 Like

I think the purchase incentive is $5500 and the lease incentive is $8500. You might be able to get another $3k off if you structure it as a lease. Maybe they just don’t want to bother though.

I’ve always had the best luck when the next model year is already hitting the lots in some areas. Good luck.

I know this is old but I sold an mdx I leased 3 months in for a rolling profit from the msrp discounts I got at sign in and got into another mdx. The dealer brought it. So yes you do owe them the rent but it is included in the buyout. You don’t have to pay it separately from the buyout.

1 Like

Hello,

since there are conflicting answers from people. Some say that rent amount is not calculated during buy out. So, if the residual is set at x dollars and I decide to buy after one month of lease, then the buy out amount would be residual + 35 months depreciation ( yes first month payment can be excluded) ? No Money factor for 35 months ?

Also, May i know the best price (selling price) leased on Base RDX. I am planning to go this lease-buy out route if some one has done this in Acura.

Thanks !

So far, I think I’m the only that’s posted numbers, and they’re from honda financial, not acura, but I’m assuming they’re same.

The difference between my current payoff and the sum of the RV plus all my remaining payments is just about equal to the rent charge.

Thanks a lot. I dint read your values. It is clear that we can just buy out after 1 month. It saves considerable money.

Well whoever is giving you that answer is not giving you the right information. Buyout includes the rental cost. I have done this on an acura not long ago so I can confirm you that it is the truth trust me. There is a reason the buyout drops every payment you make and the contractual agreed buyout will always be lower than the early buyout value and hence that covers the rental cost. You are still liable for taxes depending on the state

May I ask if u are planning to buy yourself the car outright or use it as a trade in ?

Thanks for information. Seems i cant take a chance on lease buy out to take advantage on lease incentives. In acurazine forums, someone recently posted that rent interest was not applied for his 35 month balance lease buy out.

I am planning to buy one for myself. I am not seeing great deal on rdx purchase price so i had an idea of lease-buy out.

The loan from a car lease amortizes the same as a car purchase loan. A bigger portion of the monthly payment is applied to interest initially, with the principal portion growing as the lease matures.

This example shows that the buyout value is the remaining principal from the initial net cap cost, plus whatever buyout fee Acura charges (his net cap cost is probably loess than the selling price because of the $500 incentive). So you should definitely be able to hack the extra lease incentive to buy the car out for less than an initial outright purchase.

Thanks for the information. Will check my options.

Just signed my lease on an MDX. My plan was to lease the car anyways but I’ll see if the favorable buy out numbers are real once they post. In that case I’ll pay cash and buy the car.

I’ll post my hack numbers when I get out of the dealership! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I posted my lease numbers here: