Dumb financial decisions part 218: Maserati Grecale

Has anyone driven the Grecale? What are your impressions? I am curious to see if these will be blown out like the Ghibli when they launched and might make for a nice Macan alternative.

Hmmm… Porsche vs. Chrysler? Let me think :thinking:

1 Like

that “porsche” is a rebadged q5, which has a ton of VW guts…

7 Likes

They share a service bay with Ferrari, which I’m sure will be well visited.

2 Likes

Do you really think he defends Maserati by degrading Porsche? Oh, wait. He sells Alfa, so he might…

3 Likes

I haven’t driven a Grecale, but I have driven the Macan. I guess it would really depend on ones definition of “alternative”. In terms of build quality alone… I struggle with the idea that any Maserati will be remotely close to that of a Porsche. Driving experience… the Macan is one of the best suv’s on the market, if not the best in its class. I’m not a diehard Macan fan either. I didn’t fully believe it myself until I had driven one. I was blown away; there is no denying that you are behind the wheel of a Porsche.

In terms of the Grecale - I think the exterior is attractive enough, although the front end gives me Fisker Karma vibes (not necessarily a bad thing). The interior has many aspects which are “meh” to me.

I wonder if the names they’re choosing for these models are an asset or a liability in the US.

Some aren’t even correctly pronounceable by the average American.

Plus:

Stelvio: People put this in coffee.

Unless you say “Gee-oo-Leah,” Giulia is a cookbook author:

In this thread we’re pondering Greek Ale:

and then there’s everyone’s favorite:

3 Likes

Come on people. It was a joke. Or was it? In any case - it was mostly about quality and nothing else.
p.s. Hard choice, but I’d take VW’s parts over Chrysler’s anyway.

Alfa Romeo Stelvio base model has amazing handling. The QV version is on another level.

1 Like

Yes, the Stelvio does have great handling as well.

I was responding to OP’s thread, not jumping into the pissing match of whether the Macan should hold the crest or not… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Would it change your mind if a $75k Grecale was ~$700 + tax on a 24/7.5?

Loaner Macan isn’t all that far off

This is definitely a case of not judging a car by its MSRP.

3 Likes

didnt get the joke . Chatgpt doesnt know either.

Nope. Stelvio didn’t change my mind, even though I do like the design and driving. And as zaimer said - loaner Macan can be a decent lease.

Tonale, toenail.

3 Likes

lmao thanks for sending this !

The stelvio, which the grecale is based on, is superior in driving to the Macan. This is a well known indisputable fact.

1 Like