Do you share dealer offers with other dealers?

My daughter is buying a car (both of us at the same time!). She’s looking at a Kia Forte. But this goes for any negotiation with dealers.

Do you all usually share official offers from other dealers as you get to what *feels like * the final negotiations? It usually comes from the “you have an offer? can you share it?”

You should know your target and go with the first party to accept.

I personally don’t reward the time-wasters who don’t offer anything good upfront and rely on their promise to beat someone else. If they do beat it, it’s by some trivial amount. So F those guys.

6 Likes

Share it = Lets see how we can spin ours to get a better price.

I just tell them, make it the same payment as $XXX (Lower in fact) and move on if they can’t.

1 Like

My personal favorite is when I have a customer who says, “I got an XC90 for $500 a month sign and drive, can you beat it?” And I just respond, “Congrats! You have the best price ever! Take that deal”

If they are excited then great they really got that number and now know they have the best deal.

When they look crestfallen, and ask what my number is, I know they were lying

9 Likes

They will still 2/10 your ass on the survey for not playing ball even at the inflated (not lying) price.

1 Like

Absolutely share with others. Usually they tell you that they can’t match that(completely ok since no one is wasting time) and some others match it or beat it. Then you have the ones that tell you the other dealer must be lying because corporate doesn’t even allow such a deal lol. Also, if someone ever asks who the dealer is, I tend not to tell them.

3 Likes

cant get a survey if you dont sell them a car

2 Likes

#theywillbeacustomerforsure

#theycantakethebadsurveyelsewhere

#lumpofcoalforchristmas

https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/why-car-salespeople-beg-for-top-customer-survey-scores.html

It surprised me that car manufacturers haven’t yet figured out how to also get potential customers into the survey pool. After all if you’re running a business don’t you want to know not only how well your affiliates are serving your actual customers, but also whether how well they’re doing at turning potential customers into actual customers?

2 Likes

I mean we track closing percentage

It’s almost like they quoted me!

Sometimes its the deals you DON’T take that make your month!

I haven’t purchased many cars, but, w/ one purchase, I asked a salesperson who seemed quite nice when I had interacted her in the past (but hadn’t purchased) if she could match. She could, so I went w/ her.

This year, only one dealership would come close to our proposed selling price, and that salesperson was so straightforward that I didn’t think it necessary to shop around (and we were kind of in a rush to buy a car b/f our other car died).

But I don’t think there’s anything wrong w/ shopping around an actual deal. But, as @Arces mentioned, I would likely not reveal the “other” dealership.

1 Like

Sure, but does that info make it back to the manufacturer?

I mean they just want high CSI

I can tell you it makes my job a whole lot easier and more efficient when someone makes an offer and has some valid reason, such as another dealer’s offer, as to why we should do that price.

3 Likes

they’re always lying.

It’s a zero sum game. Dealers want to sell the car for as much as possible. Customers on the other hand want to pay as little as possible.

Both parties will lie and use other techniques to get an advantage.

To your question. If I have an offer that is already pretty good, I don’t reveal it. I just ask the dealer to give me his best offer. If I’m not happy I leave. If however he asks me what’s my expectation, I’d tell a number that is better than the offer I have.

2 Likes

Do you ask which dealer (or ask to see a lease worksheet), or do you just the potential buyer’s word for it, if the proposed deal isn’t crazy low?