Do PIN / Private Client Offer discounts come out of the dealer's pocket?

Does anyone know whether discounts offered under programs that generate PINs / Private Offers (such as from JLR, etc), actually come out of dealer pockets or are they supported by the manufacturer?

If supported/ paid for by the manufacturer, does this mean we can still negotiate with dealers for a dealer discount on top of the PINs?

There was a thread going recently, where a few brokers/dealer reps mentioned that some dealers would be apprehensive to accept some of these JLR PIN codes.

Probably depends on the specific one you have, but I got one for 10% off pretty much any JLR vehicle. It’s not very specific on how it stacks with other stuff, but I’m kind of doubting it can be used “in addition to” whatever I negotiate outside of it.

Edit: here’s the thread

That’s interesting. I have the same PIN but the dealer I’m speaking with says I can use it with the ‘holiday’ bonus but not with the lease cash on the 2019s

My understanding is that JLR dealers get a flat rate amount (like $500) when a pin deal is done.

@ethanrs can probably provide better incite

1 Like

Almost all dealer contribution. We are just reimbursed $500 (both 10% and employee PIN) and a replacement allocation.

So no, no dealer will ever discount further than a PIN. Like pretty much every other employee program out there.

4 Likes

Ouch - almost feel bad negotiating with the dealer (almost) :wink:

yes they do

Well none will negotiate past a PIN.

It’s like a cheat code :grin:

2 Likes

Seems like it’s best used on the bigger RR’s that typically only fetch small discounts.

Andre - can you add further to your opinion?

It’s not an opinion.

We are reimbursed for our discount in the form of a $500 net profit.

And that’s the same for all JLR dealerships.

1 Like

@samstar

You have an interesting “strategy.”

Can you elaborate on your goals? You’re quite active messaging brokers, myself included, for someone who doesn’t care to use them.

As a general PSA, and I am not speaking on behalf of all brokers here:

When folks wonder why brokers do not respond to them, it is often due to message history.

3 Likes

Yikes!!! Sick Burn lol

3 Likes

Mike, please use night mode when making screenshot. :grin:

And by “don’t use” they might just mean don’t pay brokers.

3 Likes

You do realize, @samstar, that a JLR car won’t be sub-$200, right?

3 Likes

@ [AP919] - really I wasn’t aware. And there’s me thinking I could get one at $150 a month. Damn now I’ll have to start the search again.

1 Like

@Michael Eisenman at Bostoncarconcierge. Nice business practice you have there.
And then people like you wonder why consumers like myself don’t trust dealers or brokers. Many brokers on here have never replied and yes, I’ve never used them in the past. this time I decided to try using a broker and, well, you can see the result.

BTW, I did PM you re the ‘woolly’ - but you will recall you told me it was SOLD. So I emailed you if you had others and you were will to sell me a twin same spec car at $50 pm more which I said I didn’t sit well with me (my exact words). Care to share those emails?

Oh, and as for contacting other dealers/brokers (and it seems Leasehackr has become a site for just a few select people and brokers) - it’s called a SEARCH.
Is it a crime to contact other brokers? Brings to mind a certain phrase about ‘‘a fool and his money…’’

Yes I’ve contacted various brokers - many don’t have the vehicle I want. Some don’t deal OOS. Some don’t reply at all. You forgot to mention that I have also…shock, horror… actually also contacted dealerships (wait…what?) - how dare I do that!

I must remember to repeat 100 times:
I must only contact ONE broker and I MUST take the first deal offered. I must not search for a vehicle because BCC / LH says I am not allowed to. I must NOT SHOP AROUND.
I must only contact ONE broker and I MUST take the first deal offered. I must not search for a vehicle because BCC / LH says I am not allowed to. I must NOT SHOP AROUND.
etc

Seems you’re sore because I didn’t pay you what you wanted for the Velar. .

Have a nice day y’all

I don’t see any PMs posted. Just the same history that shows up when anyone searches your name.

For someone who is very verbal about not using brokers and complaining about their responsiveness in your public posts, you make a lot of public posts about contacting brokers.

5 Likes

Hey Man,

1. I never posted private messages. Because, they’re private.
  2. That’s your public post history.
  3. My conscience is as clean as a whistle. I practice my business very honestly. If mistakes are made, I own them and resolve them.
  4. I told you the original car, which had extra dealer cash on it, was sold. Then, I told you there was a twin to that car for more money due to the extra cash. You said it didn’t sit well. I agreed with you and told you that is why I didn’t post it. It’s the same as a demo/loaner selling and having a similar car in new form, for a different price.
  5. You should contact a handful of brokers when shopping around. That is encouraged and it is the best way for consumers to get the best deal possible. My comment was not related to you reaching out to multiple brokers. It was related to you making posts claiming you don’t use brokers, then contacting a handful of brokers. To me, this says, “I am just looking for your numbers so I can shop them myself.”
  6. I am never, ever, sore about not making money on a deal. Not even a little bit. Good cars sell. If the deal isn’t good, it won’t sell. Why would I expect you to pay me when a car of mine you wanted sold?
  7. re: Contacting dealers. I won’t go down the road as to why this specific situation rubbed me the wrong way. I’ll leave that be.
1 Like

Yes I have never used a broker in the PAST because my experience with them has been bad - and it hasn’t improved this time round. However, does that mean I’m not allwowed to use a broker EVER ? In the future?
There ARE a few brokers on here that have responded quickly and diligently and I appreciate them - even if they don’t deal OOS or don’t have the vehicle I’m looking for.

But your comments have just reaffirmed my views about brokers in general. I’m happy if other people use your services - however I for one will not - ever. And you can quote me on that.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go any search for my sub $200 JLR product. Have a good one