Disposition Fees got me like

So what’s up with these disposition fees ? Turned in a 2017 Equinox lease with GM Financial back in December (traded in) and released a 2019 Equinox. New equinox leased and registered in wife’s name…

Guess what? Since I’m not on the new lease GM Financial said I’d have to pay the disposition fee. $450 (with tax) . Regardless if it’s the same household since I was on the old lease and wife solely on the new lease I got dinged with that charge.

Happened to a coworker of mine as well, although he and his wife traded in a Toyota lease with TFS and released with a local credit union. TFS charged him a disposition fee.

I understand changing captives but this was my 3rd lease with GM. Had customer service speak with mgmt and they declined.

Are people seeing these captives being more aggressive with waiving these fees (if you obviously lease another vehicle)?

Sorry for the rant

1 Like

Yeah that would be really frustrating since you stayed with the same finance company

You can consider escalating within GM. Someone intelligent enough to consider the PR implications would be wise to waive it.

Your buddy OTOH can’t expect anything from TFS because he left them.

1 Like

That’s how it is what are you so mad about? Should have put your name on new loan if you didn’t want to pay disposition.

Captives give out tons of incentives that apply to anyone in the household. Disp waiver (essentially a small loyalty rebate) should be one of those. It’s not a preposterous assumption to make.

8 Likes

Agreed. It makes ZERO sense that loyalty would apply to the household but waiving of disposition would not.

3 Likes

You mention trading in. Why are you charged any disposition fee when trading it in?

1 Like

They are charging the fee to sell the car. Don’t think the dealer actually bought the car. Just covered the last 3 payments . They grounded the car and gave it back to GM

Since I am not on the new lease I’m responsible for the disposition fee regardless if it’s under the same household.

My point is loyalty is given under the same household so that should apply to the disposition fee, as well

Did you get a bill yet? On my most recent return I was showing an outstanding balance for quite a while until I got the closing statement. The adjustment for waiving the fee was on there.

Nope , saw the balance on my credit report then called into GM and asked them to send me the final bill. They showed the balance on there and the payment was due by the end of Feb. I didn’t just want to ignore it and have GM ding my credit for late/non payment.

I paid it over the phone with them.

I did call customer service and I just sent an email to their customer service dept to express my disappointment. Maybe they’ll do something for me and refund it, maybe nothing

My account showed a balance that exceeded what I owed for several months, and they kept fudging the due date until they sent me a final statement. The fee was waived on my final bill because I had entered into a new lease with GM, so perhaps there will be an adjustment. If not just send Mary Barra an email explaining what happened. GM’s executive team is very responsive. They can make that right one way or another.

1 Like

This is helpful. Can you pm her email address?

3 Likes

GM Fin Chevy disposition fee is $395.
Number 7 on the program rules says individuals residing in same household can use the program.

2 Likes

Thanks. This is what I explained to several reps.

Note: most GM Financial reps were useless.

In hindsight I should’ve never paid it but when the rep said that it was due on 2/28 and if I didn’t pay it would be reported as late. Didn’t want to take a hit to my credit then have to fight them back to remove it off my credit report. My score is ~800 for a reason.

We’ll see what they say.

Unless it spills into some sort of PR issue they won’t give it back.

retracted post

Perfect timing on this thread. I am picking up an equinox this weekend and planning to put it in my wife’s name. Returning a leased malibu. Is GM going to charge me disposition fee? I think @ElectricEliminator situation is different than OP. The equinox i got in october after returning my other malibu with a manuf pull ahead went smoothly without a hitch but that is all under my name.

They will charge you if the Malibu is in your name and the Equinox goes into the wifeys name.

I did that cause I always had the leases under my name and since it was her car I figured she have it in her name. Besides I didn’t want the credit line show up on my report as debt if I put it in my name or co-sign etc

Talk to your dealer first

Why not put it in both of your names? I made sure we were both on the paperwork on my Volt when I grounded my Malibu just to make sure. Also I needed her name on there to get the college rebate that was offered. Regardless they should be able to do something if they do indeed end up charging the fee.

They charged me tax before, but I fought it and got it back 8 months later. GM Financial in CA