Depreciation of ICE cars next 5-10 years

You see, I 100% agree with you. This was the subject of one of my international relations papers. I don’t think it’s fair at all for developed nations to tell developing ones to hinder themselves because they were irresponsible.

They’re a contributor to the issue, but by far not the greatest problem. The destruction wrecked on the environment is really unprecedented and I just can’t think of the best or fairest way to push policies and regulation that everyone will be happy with.

We do have to start somewhere, however.

3 Likes

Keep it civil, stay on topic and keep the politics out.

7 Likes

This is true. Marin exists in a bubble, and the elite class coddles its kids into impractical idealists convinced they are the second coming. If they simply stared out among the traffic jam, they’d see a lot more shitboxes than EV’s, and begin to understand their goals require a more realistic timeline. I think we’re way overdue for ICE transition, but without the infrastructure there will be chaos. Incentives should be given for retail (that survived the pandemic) to provide solar panel covered parking, battery storage, and EV charging for patrons. It needs to be more ubiquitous than a ‘charger stop’ arrangement we currently have, to pull this off in the long term. It shouldn’t ALL be up to individual homeowners, but I certainly do appreciate the early adopters.

2 Likes

If only we could be so lucky to keep politicians out of industry. Until that utopia comes to fruition, almost every debate will include politics as they’re intertwined

1 Like

speaking to the original topic at hand, I don’t see ICE depreciating any more than in years past over the next 5-10 years. If anything, I think they will actually do better if there are fewer of them because manufacturers were forced to electrify a greater percentage of their production.

1 Like

You’re right i misread. But still the costs of that comparison of replacing those parts is substantially different

My EV, on its best day, gives me 15cents a mile. Unless you have super free charging at work or something, no way its 3-5 cents a mile

1 Like

I get <3c a mile if I charge at night at home. 5-6c a mile if I charge at mid-peak hours.

somehow 4xe gives almost half as much mileage as my other car. so around 5c for me.

Is this a 4xe? I get 5 miles per kwh (22c California) so roughly 5 cents per mile on my Kona

My daily driver gets 27ish MPG. At $4 a gallon that’s - let’s see carry the one, take the logarithm of the square root of pi…holy cow, it’s also 15 cents a mile. And that’s with $4 gas. When it goes back to its more rightful $3ish, it’ll be much cheaper. But let’s say you can save 5 cents a mile. That doesn’t even begin to cover the battery replacement cost of $10-20K you’ll be paying for at 100K miles, nor the $10K+ premium to buy the EV vs a comparable IC version.

2 Likes

I think EV/PHEVs being sold today will depreciate faster than the average ICE vehicle. The battery tech is evolving quickly to faster charging, more range, smaller packaging, etc. to where why would someone want a used EV that has 50% of the battery capacity it came with when new and the new cars are getting 4x the range with faster charging times. Plus there are significant regions of the country with no to very poor public charging accessibility, so ICE engines will still be desirable there. And the areas with accessible public charging will want the latest/greatest in EVs.

7 Likes

whoa! what? How much is a Kwh for you? And what vehicle is this?

The 4xe has a 17 kwh battery. Getting 20 miles on electric only in such an inefficient vehicle is 0.85 kwh/mi. So, to be 15 cents per mile, that would be an electric cost of 17.6 cents per kwh. Only 8 states are at or above that cost, per 2021 average rates.

This is a Mustang Mach-E GT. I get 2.5-2.7mi/kwh. Charging costs is approx 40c/kwh (Thanks PGE).
I could charge at office, which is 16c/kwh, but 90% of the time, chargers are booked up, so I charge at home. Am considering changing my PGE plan but in all likelyhood, my bill would go up since EV plans have very high rates for daytime usage

In all likely hood, I am going back to gas at the end of the year. I did my analysis and based on my personal driving preferences, and style, cost of driving a gas car is $200/month for a 1000miles a month. Cost of EV is $140/month, hardly any worthwhile savings. And I know most EV insurances are more expensive than their gas counterparts.

Also, can we kill slow mode please? I’d love to respond to some of these comments in more detail

2 Likes

The biggest determining factor on EV depreciation will be the battery reliability and it looks good looking at early EVs with proper temperature management and charging control software. EVs having far less moving parts, it is feasible to assume they will break down less. If I were to decide designing between systems that will involve several explosions per second along with bunch of interconnecting gears AND a large scale battery powered toy 120 years ago, i would probably start from the latter.

2021 was 15% utility inflation ago.

NJ, MI, VT, NH, NY, RI, ME, AL, MA, CT, CA, HI all have average rates higher than 17.6, today. Those states represent about 1/3 of the US population. The myth of cheap charging for EVs is just that.

1 Like

My last bill

well, it isn’t completely a myth. Some people have cheap electricity. I have solar, for example. I don’t have an EV, but just sayin. Plus, my numbers, as I said, were on the Jeep, which is horribly inefficient. A real EV should do considerably better.

This looks suspiciously PGE. But your usage is very low I guess?

Yep, PG&E in Marin, so I use Marin Clean Energy for transport, so you see the PGE transport credit listed. MCE charges roughly the same, so no real money savings, but they favor ‘clean’ energy (mostly solar). But yeah…50 cents a kwh peak, 42.5 off peak.

On the higher end of vehicles, depreciation will fall like a rock since its easier to design and build out a pricey EV. Customers wont be as price conscious.

On the lower end of vehicles, depreciation should remain the same, slightly improve. Mfgs have still yet to show they can build cars at lower price points. Once that situation changes, its going to be a rapid fall as well.