Depreciation of ICE cars next 5-10 years

Maybe they’ve been generous, but it’s not pure market forces. They saw a window of opportunity to boost profits and return shareholder value like they’ve never seen before and took it.

I am very concerned about the rapid pace of BEV adoption. I do not think they are a viable alternative form of power to ICE and can be severely damaging to the environment. We’ve already passed the point of no return on emissions and all we can do is mitigate the damage the climate will wreck on us.

I wish governments would consider subsidizing fusion research to get a viable reactor going, the current amount invested in R&D for it is absolutely abysmal.

2 Likes

No doubt Tesla and other EVs got a boost from the subsidies and that’s a good thing. We can debate the latest bill and have but ultimately the real benefit from the latest subsidies will be bringing more battery production here not only encouraging EVs. The Blazer EV and Lyriq sold out despite a lack of subsidies and Tesla sells out and raises prices without blinking an eye.

Not a chance if there are still margins that shareholders let car manufacturers abandon ICE manufacturing. It will become more of a political debate, which we don’t need more of that’s for sure, but we could see candidates making I’ll save your V8 engine as part of their platform. That might sway some undecided gear heads.

2 Likes

I don’t disagree. Between the mining of the rare metals used in the batteries, to the coal powered plants used to power them, I don’t think they are as green as those pushing them want you to think.

3 Likes

Candidates make bullshit promises all the time to get them into office. That doesn’t mean it’ll happen or work, outside of getting someone else elected who ends up in way over his or her head.

1 Like

Oil companies owe you nothing.

1 Like

They owe the environment everything.

I’m not looking for handouts, never was. I’m just not naive and I understand where the money is going and why. Just because I’m critical of their tactics doesn’t mean I expect them to owe me anything.

1 Like

Your govt agencies are failing the people. You keep claiming that govt needs to do more yet the EPA is a joke and allowed all this into fruition by that reasoning.

Paper straws in plastic cups…

Companies are allowed to produce all this plastic but pay no penalties for their environmental impact. If they did the cost of plastics would be higher then alternatives.

Regardless the 3rd world is getting richer and using more. So any impact new policies would make are far too late.

1 Like

Evil oil companies only got greedy when Biden came into power. Weird huh?

1 Like

I keep hearing this argument and it doesn’t address cheap prices at all. That’s typically the liberal way though

ICE cars today are at their Peak performance, reliability and economy wise. EVs have a ton of room for improvement. in 10 years I bet ICE car today will hold its value much better then EV sold today not considering those $20k+ price tags to replace a battery.

6 Likes

I love arguing on the internet!

Emerging markets are in their own industrial revolution and are industrializing at a very rapid pace. This requires an immense amount of energy which is being burned off with fossil fuels because that’s what’s easily accessible and cheaper to do than current alternatives allow.

We need to reinvigorate sustainable technologies and renewables research instead of sticking to the “it’s what we’ve always done” mentality.

The policies we implement at an international institutional level always fail because the emerging and undeveloped markets that are targeted with said policies do not wish to handicap their own development for the sake of a bunch of first world countries and I don’t blame them. These policies ultimately lack real enforcement “teeth” and are usually optional.

I think among the worst issues we have right now are all these mega corporations claiming to go “net zero” when really… they are lying about it. It’s marketing to give consumers a false sense of security. “I feel good spending my money here because I’m helping save the environment” more damage is being done than if they didn’t have those marketing campaigns.

3 Likes

Putin also decided to invade Ukraine when Bidet came to power. Which is weird since Trump was under the control of Putin (so mnsbc said for 5 years). You think Putin would have invaded when his puppet was in the WH not when the fiercely anti-Russian pro American Buddy was in the WH.

So much weirdness.

1 Like

I can’t believe you just tried to blame the Ukraine invasion on Biden. Haha

2 Likes

Let’s not kid ourselves here. There’s plenty of hypocrisy to go around on both sides of the aisle. It’s not just Libs or Conservatives.

7 Likes

None of the EV fanbois ever answer my basic question. If EVs are so great why does the govt need to ban the competition in order for them to sell?

1 Like

I did? I just pointed out a weirdness. You blamed it on him. Poor Biden has so much bad luck. Ukraine invasion, 9% inflation, 20% stock market crash, highest mortgage rates since 2008. So much bad luck. Tragic.

3 Likes

I mean from a liberal economic perspective. I’m not on either side of the political spectrum, they all need to be relieved of their positions.

The issue is who is the world to tell developing countries they can’t benefit from the same cheap energy that grew our economies? It’ll never work, hence the push for more and more global governance. Which might sound good for “saving the earth” but will have so many other disastrous consequences for freedom.

None of these oligarch give a flying eff about the environment. If they did they would stop flying around on private jets to their conferences.

It is all about power and control. They have always hated the fact Americans have the freedom to jump in the car and drive 1000 miles in any direction on a whim. Even the great undesirable unwashed masses have that ability.

With EVs that is a thing of the past for all but the upper urban classes.

3 Likes