BMW of Macon -Dealer switched the papers and forged signature

So you got your 12k miles and $864? I’d say you made out good for a minor one day inconvenience. Maybe you can join that finance guy for a week at his permanent vacation residence in Cancun.

All joking aside hate to see people lose their job as he could have a family etc. He def knew better though, but with the way dealers hire people I’m sure he could be employed elsewhere by the end of the week, just leaving his previous position off his resume.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s a fair resolution. Not only are they making the deal right (miles you agreed to) but they are giving you money to make up for it. I personally would not get greedy. Getting it resolved from the GSM is just as good as getting it resolved by the GM. It got handled, which is all that matter.

I would ask them for a tracking number of the paperwork once they send it (should have it today if not by tomorrow). You should be fine I would think.

1 Like

I take it as a whole. First, swapped the car from the agreed upon vehicle. They did not bother to disclose this but remedied it upon notification by providing upgraded wheels. Second, did not send him paperwork with the car. Third, committed fraud. Sure, it was a quick resolution and they owned upto it but that doesn’t make it okay. $900 is a VERY SMALL price to pay for what they did.

6 Likes

Usually the best closers are promoted since it is essentially selling products with very little rapport. It is a high turn over position since the expectations are high (at most dealers, their sales profit is generated by FI products, not actual profit from a car sale) but those that are good typically make a career out of it and make great money for not having to actually prospect customers.

1 Like

So, the actual conversation was GSM was something like this. “We will redo the paperwork and fix it for you. Also, we will still honor the 3500 rebate which you do no qualify for and it will lower your payment by $24”. Well, the Finance guy when he was fiddling with numbers changed the rebates from 2750 to 3500. So, the dealership is not really compensating me anything. They are just trying to work with the numbers that were fiddled with. He also made it sound like he is doing me a favor.

I have spent about 10 hours(actual time) on the BS after paying the broker his fees with additional stress during the process. The reason we pay the broker is to stay away from all these. Does he still deserve the fees?

I am surprised that this sounds minor to you? By the way they printed my Credit app with my SSN on it and sent it to me for signature. I thought it is all processed in the online application that is secure. So, everyone had access to my ssn(All shady employees). This makes me worried.

There is a difference between deceiving and fraud. Fraud is illegal.

I did send an email asking for details but he just sent me something vague. By the way his title is similar to the person who sold me the car. All of sounded suspicious to me as I have not heard from GM yet. I responded to his vague email with all the details and copied the GM. I also demanded that the GM calls me.

Minor inconvenience? I caught it before it became irreversible. I had been scratching my since the moment I found this last night.

I feel the same here.

6 Likes

That is between you and the broker. I would just consider: how much effort before you hired a broker? Could you get this deal (what you thought you signed of what you got) on your own, on the car you wanted? You have definitely been inconvenienced, but I would take it in the larger perspective.

Most likely, the only person who handled it was whomever put the deals together (the erstwhile finance manger last time, whomever this time). They are printing and packaging the paperwork. as an aside, I always have my credit frozen:

Entirely up to you. My message back would be something like “I appreciate everyone’s quick attention and efforts to resolve: what would put me at ease is an email that details the terms of the paperwork you are sending me to sign, along with the tracking number so I can track and immediately sign and return”.

I would give the GM a day or so to reply: some work weekends and are off M/T, rarely they work bankers hours (daytime M-F) and come in to multiple fires. While I don’t dispute your characterization, a fraudy stealership would not be so responsive to make it right so quickly. They are making an effort, get the terms in writing, give them a chance to get back to you (your email asking for details might offer times the next 2 days you will be available to answer a call from GM). Most importantly, get ready to shake this off and enjoy your new car. Don’t let this sour the best part: getting high on new car smell.

2 Likes

This is a really serious matter for the store.

OP your time is likely valuable and the store is wasting/has wasted your most finite resource.

Here you go: “I am highly concerned about your business practices, and you have wasted my valuable time. In order to put this matter to bed, I am proposing client compensation for $10,000 USD, upon payment of which we will exchange mutual general releases.”

If someone really got fired over this, you’ll get paid here. There has to be a price, or else the business will never learn.

6 Likes

Immediately contact state and federal authorities for mail fraud.

1 Like

This is abit extreme in my opinion.

3 Likes

So, at this point you are not saving $24 a month = $864 over 3 years?

I’m genuinely surprised how nonchalant of an attitude some of the folks here are taking to this.

22 Likes

Some serious red flags.

This is a pretty serious matter and the GSM seems to have a nonchalant/apathetic mood about it. I would of reached out directly to the GM by now; Time is the most valuable commodity at the end of the day.

1 Like

It’s serious but I’m not sure what the damage to the OP would be here that would substantiate some kind of further compensation. At this stage, the next step would be to involve the police and lawyers. Suggesting to the GSM or owner to compensate further could lead to counter claims on the dealers part.

I recall a user on the Audi forum who took his Q7 in for service and caught a valet at his dealership stealing money out of his glove box. He contacted the dealership and they fired the employee, returned his money and comped his service. This guy felt wronged and wanted more. The result was legal action where he was accused of trying to extort them for money and he ended up with egg on his face.

9 Likes

I’m curious what the broker’s opinion is on this. I assume that he or she has a long standing relationship with the dealer and knows the people well.

2 Likes

That is between you and the broker. I would just consider: how much effort before you hired a broker? Could you get this deal (what you thought you signed of what you got) on your own, on the car you wanted? You have definitely been inconvenienced, but I would take it in the larger perspective.

Most of the deals that the brokers have on the forum are pretty competitive with each other. There might be 1% or 0.5% difference between them but they’re pretty close to each other. However, my opinion is that you might be taking the larger perspective on this one. An employee who represents the dealership made a calculated effort and committed fraud… to which OP was the victim.

OP has spent a significant amount of time and stress dealing with this and that lays at the feet of the broker. The broker is in the business of connecting buyers and sellers and gets paid to ensure a seamless transaction for both… to which they have clearly failed.

While I don’t dispute your characterization, a fraudy stealership would not be so responsive to make it right so quickly.

By OP’s account, the dealership has done nothing more than what they should have done in the first place. They have not provided an additional discount on the car. They had an opportunity to recover from the service failure but in my view, it would appear as if they have failed to do so.

If I was OP, I would get BMWNA involved, as this has likely impacted your view of the Brand. I had a similar issue with Infiniti about 8 years ago and once Corporate got involved, things actually got moving.

@rockmyn I would also name and shame both the dealer and the broker. No matter what the end result, this experience did happen.

Future customers would want to know who it was and take it into consideration as to whether they would work with the broker and dealer. Of course, I would wait to see how everything is settled but I think that transparency is important.

I didn’t know the $900 wasn’t extra money off. In that case you didn’t get compensated at all and it’s not acceptable. I also advocated you to get your money back from the broker. I would have refunded you immediately here.

Also it didn’t sound like you spent 9 hours on it. Just a few exchanges with the dealer and time on the forum. So $100/hr sounds ok in my book but you’re not getting that.

I also said get your money back and still report this to the proper channels.

I agree but that really is between you and the broker, as someone else said not anyone here on this thread. You make a good point that you go to a broker to save time and hassle and they have not done that but also it’s not like you can just ask. They have to agree.

I have the same question. Sounds like OP is getting a $24 better deal bottom line. If not, maybe some monetary adjustment is warranted but not $10K like @mattevan suggests (IMO). If you have spent 10 hours (hopefully not including updating this thread) then $864 for 10 hours seems decent. If someone offered you $864 to stand on the corner for 10 hours (or sit on hold on the phone), would you do it?
This is classic “getting greedy.”

Agreed.

I wouldn’t call it nonchalant. The fact is that the dealer is trying to make it right and it sounds like they are paying the OP for their troubles. I would agree that the stress and hassle are an issue (though not sure how much hassle as the OP said the broker was assisting) but what else would one want? If true, someone is also getting fired. There is no reason to continue being upset if they have rectified. They even seem to be compensating a bit. I do not however, like that the GSM is acting like they are doing OP a favor.

I am not an attorney and I am not sure if you are but the fraud portion of the matter is a criminal issue between the D.A. and the culprit. The OP would only be called in to testify. OP could bring this to the attention of the D.A. but they may not care. Especially if the dealer is cooperating. Any civil action would center on whether the OP was harmed in anyway and the dealer would have to make it right. If the dealer is offering to re-write and lower the payment then what damages can the OP claim? Pain and sufferings? Go for it and good luck. Sending such a letter would only help to inflame the situation and in any case the amount is outrageous (which would probably lead to the GM or GSM to feel like they do not want to do anything for OP but re-write). I think that is bad advice. If the OP feels they are owed more than they should request it but again, if this has to go any further, what damages is the OP going to claim. All the dealer has to say is: I offered to fix the contract, I fired the individual that made the change, and offered to lower their payment. Any judge would probably look at the OP and their DEMAND for $10K and be like: What is the problem here . I keep imagining Judge Judy.

Are they supposed to? I think in reality the dealer only needs to fire the fraudster and then re-write the contract to the terms agreed to by the OP. Anything above that would simply be to make the customer happy. That is the dealer’s prerogative they are not obligated to do that. Now the OP says that they are not doing anything extra but if his payment goes down from what he agreed to in the first place with no additional money out of pocket then they are saving money but again, at the discretion of the dealership. Not needed to “make the OP right.”

They will not care and tell him to work it out with the dealer. You know this. Maybe Infiniti got the ball moving for you but in the end, it was the dealer that made things right in your situation 8 years ago, I am sure. Turning into a Karen is not the solution IMO. Only reach out to BMW if the dealer refuses to fix the issue.

P.S. OP, from this point forward anything anyone shares on here is just a debate for entertainment purposes (I am certainly entertained). Seems like you have the attention of all the parties involved. How much you stamp your foot (not being condescending) or make demands depends on you. What you get more than what they have already offered is a crap shoot and will only come from your further efforts and stress. So, take everyone’s advice here (including my own) with a grain of salt. And in any case, please let us know what the result is.

3 Likes

I feel the same…they talk about $900 extra to OP is some big deal and a full compensation for the fraud the dealer committed.
Think about it for a second…you fake someone’s signature on a contract with say a bank and you end up in jail. The dealer gets to apologize and honor the original deal?! Lol…fuck no!!! Ask for more money!

6 Likes

If this goes to lawyers or attorneys general and the broker isn’t authorized to broker cars this will be very bad for him or her.

@Calvin.MB damn right it’s extreme. So is felony interstate fraud. 10,000 is low here.

2 Likes

Given the additional detail provided, I’m changing my opinion - there has not been enough done here given the severity and nonchalant responses.

1 Like