Dealer hidden charge on lease-end purchase:

Hi, Leasehackr Friends

Today I ended my lease of Ford Expedition by purchasing it.
But after returned home. I found dealer added $995 to the lease-end sale price. (And they never told me that, they just add $995 to the sale price on lease end price secretly)

Then I returned back to the dealership immediately, they told me it is processing fee. But they refuse to give invoice for the processing fee.

how they can charge 995 for processing the document, but there also charged another $85 which is listed on the sale contract for the document Prep fee.

The dealer said their GM is not in the office, and he will be back on Wednesday.

How can i get the my money back? and Gov department or customer protection agency I can complaint to? Any suggestions are highly appreciated

Here is the sale contract:

Here is the lease contract:

Here is sale break down, they refuse to give the break down at the beginning, hand writing after I insisted them to do this

Why didn’t you just call Ford and cut them a check? Why did you go to the dealership?

1 Like

I’ve heard of stuff like this. From their point of view they want to make $ on each transaction.

You are kind of stuck with it. Anyway that’s how I see it.

You might consider calling Ford leasing and speak with someone about this.

1 Like

As others have said:

• in CA you don’t have to go into a dealer to buyout your lease
  • dealerships are allowed to charge a fee to process that transaction
  • you signed for it and left

I hope the GM considers waiving it, but I doubt it. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

3 Likes

i called ford before, they told me for purchasing the leased car, i have to go back to the original dealership, ford credit can not do this.

i called ford before, they told me for purchasing the leased car, i have to go back to the original dealership, ford credit can not do this.

Interestingly, I was told by my Volvo dealer that I have to go through the original dealer to avoid paying VA sales tax again. So, my guess is VCFS also requires doing buyout through a dealer.

When my parents bought out their C70 lease, they had to do it at the dealership. It must be part of Bank of America’s contract with Volvo for VCFS because otherwise they have physical branches in 49 states so you would never have to visit a dealer in those other 10 states.

Ford doesn’t have that same requirement but I’m aware of.

How many states do we have in total? :thinking:

2 Likes

Only one: confusion

13 Likes

thanks for all the replies, i have called ford, there fired a case and start investigating with the dealership. will see how it goes.

the problem is not the fee. the problem is that dealer always trying to play trick on you which makes you feel unconformable.

it totally waste of time dealing with dealership. hope one day we can end up of this

1 Like

Ford is the only brand that you can’t buy your own vehicle and have to go through the dealer or originating dealer. It is extremely difficult to get out of a Ford lease

4 Likes

Looks like at least Volvo does the same - @jeisensc and I posted 4 and 5 posts above.

2 Likes

same goes with infinit as of MAY 12 2021

I don’t think we’re talking about quite the same thing. Infinity/NMAC’s change was who is allowed to buy-out a lease, in this Ford example it’s still the first party, but where/how they process the buy-out.

1 Like

yes, I also leased a Mercedes 2019 same time, and just trade it to the other dealership and get some money back (since trade in value is higher than buyout price). But ford does not allow to do this

All Ford dealers charge a processing fee for purchasing a lease. They are going to get paid for their time and effort. Ford does require you to purchase from a dealer, it does not have to be the originating dealer.

I purchased a Ford off lease and called a few dealers. All of them charge a fee and some didn’t want to do it.

The dealer should have disclosed and you should have compared the numbers to the buyout from Ford.

Hope it works out for you!

charging a processing fee is absolutely illegal in the State of CA for lease buy outs.
the dealer cannot add any add ones to the selling price what so ever as long as the first party is buying the car

6 Likes

thanks for the information, I just follow the information from here to go with original dealership, hoping the process could be simple. Yeah, I should quota multiple dealer. but dont aware there could be a fee there… https://www.ford.com/finance/lease-end/purchase

This information is really useful. do you have any suggestion how can i get the money back?