Dealer forgot to take my down payment

Goodmorning fellow hackers. So I got the Acura MDX aspec I was looking for yesterday. After some back and forth I settled to put 2k down with first months payment. It was already late (I think he wanted to get out of there) and I was talking with the finance manager while he was doing my paperwork he asked me how I will be paying. I told him card took it out of my wallet continuing to sign paperwork and chat. Next thing I know he says congrats hands me my folder with all my paperwork, temp plate, temp registration and inspection sticker. We shake hands and he says I’m good to go I’m figuring we have to go to the front desk so he can swipe my card. He walked me to salesman who said congrats we shook hands all 3 of us walked out together went to out vehicles and I left with the vehicle.

What do I do or should I do? It’s obviously on my paperwork that I was putting 2k and first month down. Will they bill me for it? Or will it just be a mistake on their end letting me leave with the vehicle and all my paperwork.
Any help or input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you sorry for the long read.

2 Likes

Just do the ethical thing and pay what you agreed to pay.

14 Likes

You’re prob paying thru your ass for that MDX A Spec, so what’s the extra $2K that you agreed to pay initially going to do for ya?

5 Likes

Actually got a 3k discount on it. Just was wondering what they may say to me if anything. What do you think I’m paying if you think out of my ass if you don’t mind me asking.

You agreed to pay it and signed saying you will pay it, so when they come knocking, you have to pay it. Pretty simple. It is not like you have a receipt saying you already paid.

3 Likes

The deal isn’t closed until the back office completes the deal — and that definitely includes making sure payments were received & loan was funded. You will either be called back in to pay in person or over the phone.

2 Likes

They’ll almost 100% reach out to you to pay it, if they dont they dont, but i would say little shot of that happening

2 Likes

Similar thing happened to me. They called me the next day and I paid via CC over the phone.

2 Likes

I had a Finance guy tell me at 8pm on the last Saturday of the year, after waiting 3 hrs to sign and being the only two people left in the building, and having his credit card machine act up, that he wasn’t sweating $300 (1st month due). I left and they never asked for it again. Not the same as 2K though.

1 Like

Well when the deal doesn’t get funded because they’re missing 2k you’ll get a call

2 Likes

so why were you wasting my time at 10pm last night asking if i had any aspecs in stock??

15 Likes

Because he went to your dealer? Lol

you could play full 11 on 11 soccer on my dealer’s lot, that’s how many cars they have right now.

7 Likes

So, no harm done :grin:

my dealer is also 6-10k over msrp on retail lol

1 Like

I apologize for that. I was there and messaging you at the same time. Thought you had them did not see what model you posted on the 25. Sorry again

1 Like

So asking a broker for a quote is wasting their time?

5 Likes

Call in and pay it - it’s the right thing to do.

It will come to light during the deal write up or account reconciliation, $2k is not going to go unnoticed.

Personally I’d feel like a scumbag if I got a call from the FM asking to pay $2k that I agreed to (and knew that I didn’t pay). Would certainly avoid that.

2 Likes

The deal will be funded since the bank isn’t missing money. The title clerk will probably catch it when they recap all the paperwork.

1 Like

Another way it’s not the same as the OP: because he didn’t forget. He chose to waive it for you because of the circumstances you described.