Dealer document before flying out

I got this ridiculous deal from a dealer that requires me to catch a 2 hour flight. Based on the initial proposal they sent me (Ally lease agreement) numbers look good. But every dealer around me wouldn’t even come close to it. Some are even warning that I am going to get scammed somehow. I was just wondering, what could I ask for to make sure they don’t change the story once I get there? Is there anything I can? I was going to fly out this Saturday and the actual documents won’t get here even if they overnight them. Should I just wait for the document and fly out next weekend?

1 Like

Get an email from the GSM or GM that says “we agree to lease stock number X make/model/trim msrp for price less discounts etc payment”. Basically they can print the deal sheet, sign and scan. Offer them a deposit to hold it and forward your flight confirmation details to your salesperson once you book.

My last lease was three emails and a flight the next day from San Diego to Vegas to pickup. As easy as an intown deal.

1 Like

Or have them fedex you all the paperwork. You sign, return, wait a day or two, and fly out once the deal funds.

6 Likes

You forgot to mention important detail - Ben brokered your deal :smirk:

1 Like

Not this lease: no plane involved in the XC60 (Lyfts, Trains, and more Lyfts). This was the last glorious CMax.

Already then :grin:

1 Like

My understanding (and I could be wrong, but last I knew) - this isn’t a 100% given in states where the tires have to leave the parking lot to punch the car. There are some states where the deal can’t fund until it’s on the road.

I also just ran into this with my XC60: because it was the end of the month the deal has to be done in person so it was on the road or I had to pay for a special notary service (not just a notary) to come do the paperwork with a witness at my place. I chose to go pick it up myself.

An email from the GM holds that much of a value?

If they FedEx me the paperwork and agree to deliver the car at the airport…is that good enough?

On my i3 deal they UPSed me the finance documents. Signed everything except the “We Owe” and then returned it. Flew down the following weekend, signed the we owe and paid first month payment.

I would not fly out without some assurances the deal is correct and the car is being held. How you do that is up to you and the dealer to figure out - this is not a big deal.

Don’t pick up the car at the airport. Go to the dealer, inspect it closely, then sign the we owe sheet. Don’t do that until you’ve seen it.

1 Like

Thank you for that advice

That sounds like a plan.

1 Like

Thank you guys for your advice. I reached out to the dealer and requested the bill of sale. Everything went downhill from there.

They did not go for that offer. And said they never had a customer make such an absurd request, apparently.

I have done 3 personal leases for the house hold this year and all out of state with me flying out driving back. Just ask them to send you a copy of purchase order. They will happily do so after you have submitted credit and have been approved. That and a copy of the deal sheet which you may have received before submitting the credit app (assuming both parties agreed to numbers) is good enough for you to book your travel dates.

1 Like

Maverick and they probably try to charge you $300 - $350 for it right ?

1 Like

Add all refundable wear, service and warranty packages to we owe for a surface scratch. Cancel packages. Profit.

:rofl:

I’ve flown to pick up cars 3 times, but i always had confirmation for final numbers and roughly trusted the dealer. That being said, I would try to have a backup deal in that local area if possible. But more importantly, I would have a southwest return flight or a rental car reservation just in case something went south

3 Likes

What documents did you ask for that kind of guaranteed the deals?

Just be ready to go back home without the car, i.e. walk.

2 Likes