Deal Check Volvo C40 2023

Hello,

Looking for some validation on this deal. . thoughts.??
zip code 30043

If I did my math correctly they are discounting 10% before incentives, MF and RV standard rate.

link

1 Like

What incentives are you eligible for? Costco, A-Plan, Loyalty Etc. You need to separate out your qualified incentives to determine whether this is a good deal.

10% off MSRP is a pretty good, especially in Georgia where you’re not likely to find brokers. I’ve seen about 10-12% off from brokers in CA.

I qualify for the Costco and ev so 10k. The other 6 k I assume is off MSRP.

Other than the outrageous (not sure how it is in GA) dealer fee, good deal.

I still don’t see the value in a ~$19,000 lease cost for an entry level EV.

Considering similar EVs from Tesla and Ford can be bought for around 33-35k net if eligible for the tax credit or a Ioniq 5 or ID4 for a little bit more via lease to buy.

Granted that is before 7% sales tax but depending on location there are also state/city/utilities rebates too.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity - if they are providing a discount off MSRP - why wouldn’t they indicate as such under the MSRP line on your worksheet?

Don’t assume on the discounts. Ask for a breakdown so you know exactly what’s going on.

Also, a $1000 dealer service fee?! That’s pure profit for them right there.

It’s bold to assume lots of folks on this forum are qualified for $7,500 lol

Anyways, it has 400+hp and 0-60 tested is in the low 4s. If someone value these it’s not outrageous to pay ~$500/mo. Even my wife is enjoying flooring the thing now which she never does with any previous cars so there’s that. Interior is fine and I like the Google based system so far. Still overpriced but not really by much I would say.

With how EV advances, the competitions and the current price trend, owning an EV is probably not the best thing if you see yourself switching cars in 3-5 years. Personally I think we are sort of at the horizon of EV truly going full-fledged mainstream and becoming a more “stable” and rationalized market, I don’t feel comfortable buying any ATM. Next gen Model 3 and Model Y will most definitely be out in this lease cycle and I think most people are waiting to buy and own those. C40 is a good stop gap for that, personally it’s why I leased it as well.

2 Likes

A lot of Volvo rebates are direct to the dealership, so they are lumped in with the discount. This is annoying but advantageous because most states tax rebates. Some statues don’t tax rebates direct to the dealership vs. taxing those direct to a buyer. This way, when you have a large rebate as you do here, you’re not taxed on it, so that alone is worth a decent amount (1+%, depending on tax rate) when we’re talking $10,000 in rebates.

Thanks for the input appreciated. the dealer just confirmed my assumptions.

from what I have seen so far 6K off MSRP is a decent discount.

MSRP $58,640
Discount $16000K ( $7500 EV credit +$2500 Costco+6000 Off MSRP )
RV and MF buy rate.

Docs fee in GA are crazy since they are no cap so

1 Like

Yeah, I think $61k+ for the C40 with ACC, which is standard on the base Civic, is a little high. You really can’t beat the standard features on the $38k base Model 3, but unfortunately, you pay about the same, ~$19k, to lease it for 3 years, but don’t get the option to buy it out. But from a purely subjective point-of-view, I like the look of the Volvo/Polestar. Also, I don’t qualify for any tax credits, so my point-of-view is always from the lease perspective where the bank passes on the $7500 ev lease credit.

3 Likes

I live in FL. No state incentives here. But I also wonder myself on something like this.

The Tesla makes sense as a buy for 38K plus tax with the 7500/rebate if you qualify. That car doesnt make sense to lease due to the cost how Tesla structures it. (I changed my mind on this) Tesla has some updates coming but the final price of that new revision on the model 3 is unknown. With interest rates heading higher who knows where teh EV market will be in 3 yrs. There should be many more options. For that reason the Tesla lease without putting cap cost money may work out better for the flexibility.

1 Like

I mean look at the fact the Tesla and ford u have to buy. The Hyundai and Kia require a lot das.

Ok and? I personally think my MME was a very smart purchase.

Why does the DAS matter under a lease-to-buy scenario? Every dollar that reduces the net cap cost is a reduction in the buyout loan amount. It’s a down payment on a loan.

In that situation if the DAS is a hardship then people can structure a lower DAS or maybe consider if they can comfortably afford the car in the first place.

The big watershed moment already happened around 2022. All the big OEMs introduced their new EVs. Given the time and money required, there won’t be new platforms from them any time soon. There’s nothing game-changing on the horizon.

Anyway if this is too much of a tangent for the OP I can split these posts off from this thread. @atl_jq what say you?

2 Likes

Been wondering this myself as well.

I think for those that qualify for the EV rebate, it’s a frankly an easier conversation: the Tesla deal is just too good to compete against product wise (ofc folks might not want Tesla for Elon reasons).

Without the EV credit, you’re looking at $47k for a M3 LR (or the many competitors around the same price) and then it gets murkier: it’s close enough where you should be factoring in ride quality, ride height, comfort, infotainment, road noise, charging etc. and I’m not sure Tesla, ID4, Ford or Hyundai win in all those scenarios against the C40.

I think if you’re in that latter group: a C40 can make sense. Especially if you’re of the opinion that the next few years will see EVs improve significantly (as I am but not all are) and allow the market to settle as well (seeing as some EVs are still tough to get).

2 Likes

Range on a C40 is also far lower than on even the base Model 3. If you’re just using it to do a 30 mile commute that doesn’t really matter too much of course.

Sorry for the question that had probably already been discussed on this forum, but what is needed to qualify for the EV credit for leases? For some reason I thought with Volvo leases that Volvo was just taking $7500 off and was responsible for obtaining the credit, thereby allowing those who don’t qualify to take advantage of it. Is that not correct?

That’s correct.

For leases, it’s up to the lessor to pass on the benefit to customers (and there are no qualifications: it’s completely up to the lessor).

In this case, Volvo does but I know other manufacturers (Kia/Hyundai, BMW?) that only do half.