Deal Check: The new 2021 BMW M3

Hello all, first post here. Looking to lease the new BMW M3 that will be available in the Spring. This will be my first BMW so no loyalty credit. I’m in the Ann Arbor area in Michigan. Here is the quote I got on my first email communication with the local dealer. Please let me know your thoughts. Tough here because not a lot of info for this car yet. If there are any brokers that think they can do significantly better, feel free to contact me.

MSRP: $76,195 + $319 aftermarket
Customer Cash: $1532.12
Lease term: 36 month/10,000 miles
Money factor: 0.00122
Residual: 42,669.20 (calculated this to be 56%)
Payment they gave me: $1177.20

No mention of upfront fees, I think they may have forgotten to include those in the first email. I’ll update this when they do.

Please provide feedback on how this looks so far. I’m working with limited info.

Your money factor is marked up, but aside from that there is little discount to be had on a brand new niche performance model. These will be much better leases in a few months when there is more inventory. Happy New Year!

Thanks, how would you know what the money factor is supposed to be though? It’s a brand new car that isn’t even available yet.

The standard BMW money factor is .00082. If you signed a lease today it would which ever is better that or the month that the car lands in.

For the past year, BMWFS has been using the same base money factor for all cars. That money factor is currently .00082. So your .00122 hypothetical money factor looks like it is being marked up by .0004 from the actual current money factor.

If the car isn’t available yet, is there any value asking for opinions on a lease scenario with a hypothetical sales price, a hypothetical residual, and a hypothetical money factor?

IMO, it might be more useful to get opinions on the discount off MSRP and the markup on the money factor. Everything else is meaningless right now.

1 Like

Doesn’t sound very good.

3 Likes

Got it makes sense.

Thanks for the fast replies all, verdict is I’m going to HOLD off on this lease, the uncertainties as other have pointed out and lack of incentives makes this not appealing. Monthly payment is too high relative to MSRP. Let’s see if the M2 competition works out better.

2 Likes

Here’s your calculator. Pay to play I guess.

Having current, accurate information for residual value, money factor, and incentives is important in understanding you deal. As such, going directly to a source that has access to that data from the captive banks is your best option. The forums at Edmunds are where we go to get that information, as they have direct access to it from the captive banks. You’ll want to post of the model specific thread for the vehicle you’re interested in and request the most current numbers for your zip code. It is often easiest to find that thread by searching Google for “Edmunds lease” followed by the model of vehicle you’re interested in.

We can help you there…it wont :slight_smile:

Great car…but any semblance of what would be called a “deal” is not likely.

1 Like

Best bet for a new M3 is to take over another BMW lease to get loyalty, probably 6-12 months would be ideal. Also signup for BMWCCA to get the $1k rebate so the wait time is expired. By that point hopefully BMW do what they normally do and have built too many M3’s and are offering incentives.

5 Likes

Good plan @ajgraham…early adopters of most everything (be they Playstations, iPhones or BMWs) will have to pay. Its a bit contradictory to the LH way.

4 Likes

Don’t waste your time with any of the SE MI BMW dealers. Ann Arbor is by far the worst of the bunch.

3 Likes

Have you looked at the front of the m3??? BMW would have to pay me 1k a month to be seen in that. FYI I was dead set on m3 being my next car. After I saw that thing I lease traded my m340 in and going w c8 corvette. M3 is the first Bmw I’m honestly ashamed of and I loved the brand

3 Likes

good for early adopters
front end I love already
ordered mine but can’t decide on wheels and color still

*annoying Shmee not included

2 Likes

I know this guy cant help his goofy smile, but at least have a pair of clean sneakers on.

5 Likes

In early 2090s I had a coworker who had to have one so he bought an m3 with that smurf blue color. It was really ugly.

1 Like

I had been thinking about the M3 too. However if I get one I will buy it. Payments will likely be close and I don’t drive much so I could likely sell at a good price in 3 years.

The leases will likely be in the M5 price range. And in that case I’d lease the M5.

Just my .02

5 Likes

No way would I pay a premium for the soon to be flop G80.