Deal Check - Lease on a Used Tesla Model X

, ,

Hello,

A company here in Dallas-Ft Worth, Texas offers leases on used cars.

I am looking at a 2022 Tesla Model X.

The interesting part here is that they claim - when the 36 month lease is done, and when they send out the car to be purchased by the highest bidder, they will credit me the difference between the residual value and what they ended up selling the vehicle for.

Any thoughts on this deal?

COST 88,989.00 (Used 2022 Telsa Model X with 600 miles)
RESIDUAL $46,740 (seems very low, but they promise a credit at the end)
36 MONTHS @ $1859.00 - 12,000 miles
ALL TT&L AND FEES, GAP INCLUDED IN PAYMENT APPROX $6500.00 (there is about $2800 of fees that go to this company and to the bank doing the loan)
0 DOWN PAYMENT
1ST PAYMENT DUE AT DELIVERY
RETENTION FOR SALES TAX ON NEXT CAR (not 100% sure how this works, but they claim that I would owe no tax if I lease with them again)
ANY AMOUNT OVER THE $46,740 WOULD BE YOURS.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thank you.

3 years of lease payments almost equal to $70k on a $80k car…

And residual seems on point so I doubt you would get any equity at the end of your lease.

This is a terrible deal imo

7 Likes

I don’t see anything appealing here. A new model X can be had for under $90K and the payment would be lower using Tesla finance. I would not want to bet on a Model X beating a residual value.

1 Like

Seems like it’s $400 cheaper to lease a new one from Tesla.

4 Likes

Thanks for the quick answers.

The cheapest Model X I see on Tesla’s website is 98,490, and it doesn’t qualify for any EV tax credits due to cost.

So in this case I get around $10K off off MSRP on a used one from 2022.

A 60-month loan at 5.89% is $1,931 per month, with 100K financed. This is with 0 downpayment.

A 36 month lease through Tesla is $1,602 for 12K miles and no downpayment (2297 due at signing)

I am not sure if Tesla allows leases with no downpayment.

What am I missing here, seems like i’m thinking through this wrong.

Even if you do $0 down payment you’re paying usury rates to the 3rd party leasing company doing used leases.

What are you trying to accomplish? You can do 0 down payment with Tesla and you still come out ahead. Can you not come up with $2300 to lease the car through Tesla? If so why are you doing this?

Also FYI that lease quote in the screenshot was in existing Tesla inventory and was $92k.

3 Likes

I think you just answered your own question

You get a $7500 discount on existing inventory and another $1000 discount using a referral/loyalty link.

The Tesla finance rate is 5.89% for 72mo.

This is atrocious. Just say no.

3 Likes

Ah good to know about the discounts! Didn’t know.

I would also want to get the Full Self Driving feature, which is $15K. In this specific used car it comes included.

The discount applies to finance or lease. FSD… well everyone has an opinion on that. What I would suggest, especially if leasing, is to opt for the monthly payment program instead of sinking $15K of equity into software. I would also suggest you give a hard look at EAP – which really has everything you need on a HW3 car.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks everyone for the help, particularly the discounts. I never leased before as you can tell. Sounds like the way to go in this specific case is through Tesla.

Not worth it either. Take a sub on it for a few months to settle your curiosity but I think you’ll find it to be more trouble than its worth and it’s pretty much worthless on resale.

Basic Autopilot is fine.

2 Likes

“I would also want to get the Full Self Driving feature”

no you wouldn’t.

Well it would be good to know why you want it at least

One more question - since I live in TX, the tax on leases has to be paid on the entire sale amount, so that’s around $6000. I also need to pay for title, registration, etc. So let’s say $6500.

That’s not included in the Tesla lease calculator is it?

If I add that in for a base Tesla Model X with no EAP, here is what I get:

Calculator Link

It comes out to be around $1780, and that’s with a MF of .00201 (4.82%) which is probably too low. So around $1800 most likely.

Am I calculating this right?

More or less the same as the used 2022 Tesla, but this is a 2023 so a bit better.

Actually no, I double counted the tax - I leave 6.25% as tax on top, and then for government fees just add the title, registration fees. Will just put in $500 as an estimate.

EFFECTIVE MONTHLY COST $1,554

Calculator Link

Significantly lower.

Just buy it.

Bonus points if you can write it off as a S179.

Is this a subprime lender by chance?

1 Like

D&M Leasing - not sure if its subprime. I have a good credit score, just haven’t ever seen a lease on a used car, that’s why I was curious.

1 Like

How do I input this scenario into the calculator:

Lease the car for 36 months vs. finance the car for 60 months and sell it at the end of 36 months.

I can’t understand the results I get on this calculator

It shows Positive Vehicle Equity at ($13,891), what does that mean? Parenthesis mean negative right?

Also, in TX I understand that taxes have to be paid upfront at the DMV, I don’t see a way to input that into the finance section of the calculator.