Deal Check - Lease on a Used Tesla Model X

, ,

Stay away from D&M at all costs, especially on a used Tesla.

How many times does it need to be said that this is an absolute dumpster fire of a deal that only makes sense in a world where 2+2=5, the grass is purple, and couches sit on people.

4 Likes

I’m trying to understand the Lease vs. Finance comparison of the calculator.

Link

This is for a Tesla Model X.

1. The finance section, where do I put in that I need to pay tax up front? You can’t roll it into the loan in Texas since you have to go to the DMV and pay it in person from what I understand.

2. Finance shows total cost over 36 months at $57,721 on a 60 month loan. It shows "positive vehicle equity: ($13,891). Does it mean it’s $13K negative equity due to parenthesis? How is this calculated? I don’t understand.

I’m trying to understand what happens if I lease the car for 36 months vs. finance for 60 months and sell after 36 months.

I thought You won’t be able to buy or sell the vehicle if you lease it?

You seem dead set on doing this despite all the sound advice from some of this forum’s most trusted members (in general, but especially on all things tesla)

Enjoy your car

1 Like

No no, i’m not talking about the used D&M lease anymore - I accept the consensus here and won’t be going with that.

I’m trying to understand if I go directly through Tesla, how do I calculate / interpret Lease vs. Finance of a brand new Tesla Model X. See my question above:

I’m trying to understand what happens if I lease the car for 36 months vs. finance for 60 months and sell after 36 months. How do I input it into the calculator correctly? Link is also above.

1 Like

I don’t believe Tesla leasing offers a buyout option. Financing is the play on all but the base Model 3.

In any case, forget the idea that you will come out positive equity on a Tesla outside of another massive supply chain shortage.

2 Likes

No buyout - if I lease I will keep the car for 36 months.

If I finance, I will get a loan through the credit union for let’s say 60 months, but curious how to calculate what happens if I sell the financed car after 36 months - will there be any equity. This is purely a question on how to use the Leasehacker calculator.

Theyre the devil incarnate

3 Likes

There’s no guarantee of that. Some uninsured jackwagon could smack into your new car a day into the purchase or a day before you intended to sell it.

Go into it with the intention that you’ll be at the mercy of the market. You’ll be paying for the privilege of driving a MX leased or financed, who you prefer banks on it is up to you.

Your calculator is close enough.

EFFECTIVE MONTHLY COST.:
Lease $1,642 over 36 months
Purchase $1,603 over 36 months

The unfortunate conclusion is both options are bad, but leasing, if anything, costs more.

Totally get that, but just trying to model this scenario in the calculator and not understanding some of the output.

Link

Yup, agreed. But what does this section mean for Finance?

Screenshot 2023-07-06 203137

And also, why is the tax rolled into the monthly payment? I don’t think that’s possible in Texas.

As long as LTV (Loan to Value) is approved you could sign and drive on a finance, the negative there is that you’re now paying interest on taxes.

The bank pays the tax upfront and then rolls it in to the monthly payment and charges you rent charge on it.

I don’t think anyone here can stress hard enough how much you shouldnt do business with D&M leasing.

3 Likes

If I use my own bank - I think that the taxes have to be paid at the local tax office. The bank has no way to do that themselves.

100% - I forgot they (D&M) exist :slight_smile: I’m on to a different question.

1 Like

I havent financed a vehicle in texas, but i have in other states where the bank has written a check for taxes to the dmv and rolled the amount into the loan.

1 Like

Your calculator is setup to pay the taxes upfront.

So your taxes are not rolled into your payment.

I am using the “effective monthly payment” as a comparison tool.

The positive vehicle equity is the difference between your buyout after 36 months and the same 60% RV used for the lease. This would be returned to you when you dispose of the vehicle and reduces your effective monthly.

Tesla doesn’t officially sell cars in Texas so yea you would have to self register and pay tax at your county tax office or pay a service to do it for you.

1 Like