Deal Check: 2024 BMW M4 Comp. Xdrive

I suppose we should all just be driving Trabants because anything else is a waste and against the common good. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Now we’re going on selling price instead of MSRP for these comparisons?

I’m not going to put this in writing because my threshold is different based on the car, I understand that for one car, paying 50% of the MSRP may be a good deal, and for some cars, 30% might be a good deal.

It’s why the 1% rule is stupid, 1% rule may be a great deal on a one car, but horrible on another.

4 Likes

Is the M4 lease really worth double an I4 M50 lease ?? I suspect an M4 Comp will have a slight performance edge, and a door count difference, but that’s a big premium for just maybe a little bit better. (particularly in a no-tax state).

1 Like

A totally different driving experience between the two as well. Looks count for something, as does getting one of the great ICE rides left before they are gone.

My wife drove an e93 M3 for years (no M4 at the time). Dare I say it was every bit as fun to drive as most (not all) 911 rides and other cars far above the e93 M3 price point at the time.

It really was without equal with no mods right out of the wrapper.

1 Like

Ofc. MSRP is arbitrary. Market clearing price is the only price that’s real.

Is a 911 worth 2 m4s?

Diminishing marginal return but I think the m4 experience would be substantially better dynamically than an i4 m50

2 Likes

I think most 911 buyers are not looking at an M car. If you have to have a 911, you usually finance one.

There is some overlap in these for cross-shopping, especially when the would-be 911 buyer really sees how much it will cost, wait times, etc. We looked at both at the time and the deal on the M3 for what she needed as far as driving it the way she did was a no-brainer.

1 Like

Years ago, my wife rented a base 911 (she loves Porsches). It was fun to drive, especially on the highway.
She now drives a minivan :grimacing:.

If I didn’t have to save for 2 college funds, I would probably try and find a reasonably -priced 911 for sale and surprise her with it. Going to have to wait another decade for that to happen.

I’ve never sat in or driven a true M car. A few years ago, I drove an M340i at a BMW event. I know it is a different car, but that’s the closest I got to an M3.

1 Like

I totally hear you as we went through that as well.

In the interim, check out BaT and Cars and Bids. Lots of great 911s at “reasonable” prices. Some that are 10+ years old (watch for IMS bearing issues) can be had for +/- $50k and will be an absolute blast to drive.

Haha. I’m not sure I am ready for the maintenance costs on a used Porsche. A friend was telling me how his buddy got a Porsche a while back, and they were not prepared for the basic maintenance costs. They eventually had to get rid of it.

Anyway, I do not want to derail this thread.

Thread was bound for derailment the moment OP wanted a car that wasn’t hackr-approved for leasing.

6 Likes

I haven’t really looked into a balloon, to be honest. Are these cars usually good candidates for something like BMW Select?

Is an M4 worth more than a 911? Because the BMW is the one with the higher TCO as present

1 Like

Is it? Would you mind elaborating? Genuinely curious, by the way. I guess I didn’t realize that was the case.

At present maybe but that’s kinda apples to oranges comparing leasing to purchasing and later selling. 911 market can always return to how it was in the past and then I would say the TCO is probably higher

Basically 911s don’t depreciate a ton relative to an M car.

Yeah, I’m all for people choosing the exact car they want (afford) and then just making sure they get the best deal they can get on it at the time!

1 Like

True but changing…M3’s especially doing much better than they used to.

I guess that also begs the question if the M4 will hold its value decently well. Obviously it won’t be like the M3, if that were the case I probably wouldn’t be seeing the discounts I am on them. Just wonder how much worse the M4 will be.