Deal Check: 2021 Volvo XC60 T8 Recharge Inscription

Funny to be complaining about the pace of style evolution for a brand that successfully sold virtually the same exact (amazing) 240 wagon for two decades.

Volvo’s ethos is the ultimate in tasteful Scandinavian design. I’d be disappointed if its new owner ever discarded that approach. If you want controversial changes every 5-7 years, there is no shortage of brands that will gladly deliver on that cycle :sunglasses:

1 Like

So a ground up, entirely new frame, completely different proportions, different powertrain, entirely different interior, suspension design is all just an ‘update’ because it’s still identifiable as an Acura? :smiley:

1 Like

Where did you see complaints here? I said that for me XC60 is the last Volvo I’d buy because its body is stale. I had the 12, 16 and 19 S60 and they all were different. Compare the 12 and completely new 19.

What are you talking about?

Ursus comments were squared purely to the exterior design of the car.

The TLX now as compared to 2 years ago look extremely similar in exterior design.

That’s not to say the interior and mechanical things haven’t changed, that just wasn’t the point.

1 Like

Not sure what’s all this Volvo craze all about. Gave it a shot two years ago on a XC60 T5-R design with polestar and I missed being in a German car every-time I drove it. Nothing but poor build quality and visits to the service department for various issues. Car had ultra low miles and was garaged and driven as smoothly as one can.
I always thought I got unlucky with this vehicle but heard so many other similar issues with XC60 and XC90 owners. I wanted to blame it on the made in China but tried not to as I am typing on a Chinese made Mac as we speak.
Sold to Vroom back in December/January for a small loss to get a rid of this headache (of course not knowing where this market was heading)

I know my comments will not go down well with the V aficionados out there but cant recommend the brand if you are cross shopping other luxury vehicles.

Rather than looking at anecdotal evidence, JD power initial quality and CR new car predicted reliability shows Volvo to be on par with German brands. Behind some, ahead of others.

Rolling the dice on a lease under warranty doesn’t seem too risky. Anecdotally my Volvo is having less problems than my previous e class :man_shrugging:

Call me lucky, but I’ve never had any major problems with any of my multiple Volvos. Including one Chinese and one American (which has a second recall now).

1 Like

Of course I am aware YMMV. Having full coverage is great but not at the expense of going to the dealership every month for issues that shouldn’t probably happen. (Happy to share the huge paragraph of problems but will leave it at that lol). Guess it was real bad luck for us.

Yeah I guess we really were not lucky with this vehicle. I kept telling my wife that we should have gotten the bursting blue one we initially went to secure and actually tried VS having the Grey one delivered from their sister dealer.
At least I got a decent deal at the time :slight_smile:

1 Like

On the flip side, I only had one VW and it was a disaster from the start, with the car stalling multiple times and the service kept coming with all kinds of reasons without admitting that it was the DSG.

1 Like

Would you ever drive a VW again due to that experience?

I might, if I feel comfortable with the car.

I may have just the car and deal for you :smirk:

1 Like

If I don’t go back to Volvo it will be because the no transfer policy. Three years is too long for an eager hacker.

They are popular here for good reason due to the highly incentivized leases, often competing with mass market brands on a monthly payment basis.

Yeah that was the reason I was hesitant in the first place when we leased it but back then it was such a better deal than an X3 with similar features (close to 200$ a month lower) or Q5 and RDX. Luckily the damage done by selling to Vroom was minor and i recouped it in less than two months of not owning/driving another vehicle.

Good luck for sure, but you’d never want to go into a Volvo lease without assuming you’ll have huge negative equity the whole way through.

Tried to have Volvo corporate do a buy back after all the issues piled up but they always insisted on fixes. Our initial intention was to stick with the car…On another note do you know If VW still allows for lease transfers as long as it’s before the last 12 months? There have been so many changes recently with all the 3rd party lease buyouts out there.
We (unfortunately) need a car by end October and I have identified the Arteon in addition to BMW 330 I/e as an option that may (emphasis on the MAY) be semi-hackable in this market.
Cheers,

VW allows lease transfers, but keeps the original lessee liable. To me, they might as well not allow lease transfers at that point.

1 Like

Agreed. Oh well, one less option for now…Although my thought is that current leases right now are so uncompetitive that it adds to the layer of challenges if one needs to transfer before maturity IF market improves in the next year or two so even if you have a transfer option it may be challenging down the road due to the higher monthly you would have forked right now.
However you turn it this situation is not good for informed buyers and hackrs right now.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.