Deal Check! 2021 Mazda 3 2.5 Turbo Sedan (NJ)

Markup. They bumped you.

I looked in the fine print and it seems a number of vehicles have the Rockledge Security System ($895) and Clear Guard Protection ($395) added in. Maybe this is where the mark-up is. Not as crazy as other dealers but there’s still crap in there. This is the car’s page, BTW. The calculator on the page is not accurate.

This is my calculator now based off what Orange gave me. When you add those mark-ups, the price is actually $34,150, and when you subtract the lease incentive, the price is actually $33,220:

Guy told me $430 (w/ tax) a month but drive-off is $1,751-ish. The calculator only says $1,067.

Minor suggestion, but don’t do 1 dealer at a time. Earlier (I think) you said there were only a few in CA that had the configuration you wanted–if that’s true, just email all those dealers at once to streamline the process.

1 Like

Yeah, appreciate this. I reached out to all the ones I could at once. Some do not have the exact trim and color. And I am unfortunately down to dealers that don’t (“apparently”) have mark-ups, at least obscene ones. It’s Orange and Tustin. Not sure if I wanna try Puente Hills again cuz they play with high mark-ups and the guys I spoke with kept saying my payments would be in the high numbers – they have a sister dealership that is Fontana Mazda which has what I want but I suppose I can reach back out. They said they could swap the vehicle over w/ one they have on the lot, but I just don’t want them to charge a delivery fee or some shit. Dealerships are trying to squeeze for everything right now.

Did you tell them all at the same time that if they accepted, you’d be there immediately to take delivery?

1 Like

I technically did not. I said I would be “able to accept and sign.” Guess that “today” matters. And also I have limited means right now…I would like someone in my family to be there with me during the process; that person would likely be my mom, who is the only family member who has had experience with leasing, but she is not available every day. I have no one else in my family who can accompany me. I have no idea how literal the “today” part needs to be.

The point of adding in the “say yes and I’m en route to take delivery” is to communicate to the dealer that you’re a serious buyer, ready to go now, and that you’re not asking them for a quote to go shop against their competitors. You’re saying “THIS is what it’ll take to get this deal done now. No hassle, no drams. If you do this, the deal is done.”

Now, one could say that to multiple dealers at once, but personally, if I’m going to make an offer with a commitment, I will honor it.

It’s cool to have moral support, but in reality, the only important thing is transportation there. Work everything out beforehand, have all the numbers set, remember Due At Signing(and clear about what it includes, like first month) and monthly payment. Beyond that, just be respectful and firm. If they raise the numbers, walk out as you say you’re sorry they would not honor the agreed upon numbers, let them know you don’t appreciate them wasting your uber money but you’ll have a few minutes to leave a google review regarding that, and to have a great day. My dad’s lease Finance included window etching and nitro fill tires, scammy BS, but it didn’t matter because it was all included in the agreed on monthly price and we dealt with a lot of crap from the dealer.
Your mom may be great moral support, but it doesn’t sound like she has immense experience in this level of lease dealing.

Yeah, I totally get it and know that. Point is I literally do not have the means to drop everything and go. Which is why the literal today is not being used. And again, first-timer here. I would not walk into a financial office for a lease alone. The only good thing is these top trims aren’t exactly flying off lots, but I am still playing with limited inventory and time. At least I am playing numbers now with dealers but yea, maybe pedal to the medal.

Then wait until you do to make an offer that you can act on?

Tip towing in when you’re not in position to act immediately is handicapping yourself

I’ve sat in on her dealership visits growing up when she used to lease – it was a literal back and forth of “is this the best you can do?” Probably not the best but it’s better than my other lease experience with my friend who kept flirting and playing ditzy with a sales guy to get a great deal at 8pm-midnight at a dealership. Not something I can do. I don’t remember specifics but my mom told me to negotiate everything, including a waived early-lease termination fee (which fine print for Mazda says may apply; some peeps here earlier said you can’t negotiate that. IDK). Not sure what the flexibility is there but everything is negotiable, apparently.

Appreciate everyone’s help. I’ll keep pushing and also go harder with the Orange Mazda guy after my findings about a mark-up. And will try maybe 30+ miles out now for other dealaerships.

Your mother negotiates like it’s 1999.

Better than my grandfather who would go in and say to the salesman “give me your best deal!” And that was it.

2 Likes

Yeah, she does. It’s probably an Asian thing. No market value research or anything. Also her leases used to be near last-minute when her previous lease was ending. So not smart.

The point of what you are doing right now is all of the negotiation up front so you should be able to go to the dealer, say no to all the BS in the finance office, sign, and leave. Why even bother with the lease end fee? Sure, ask, but shouldn’t be a deal breaker. You got this, even without the ability to flirt.

And if I couldn’t come in that day I’ve offered to put a deposit down to show I was serious.

What we’re having you do is give them a realistic “Here is the number that i am happy paying”, that’s the calculator, you didn’t make up a number, you used real values. They are professionals at explaining how they are doing the most they can for you, and are basically not even making money on this deal. That’s not true, but is a tactic to make YOU feel bad for THEM. So almost every deal where you didn’t get all these numbers beforehand was them giving you the best deal they felt like at the time. The real goal here is compromise due to the market limit and your inflexibility, if you’re happy with 400/mo + 2000 DAS, and they are at 450/mo + 2000, the goal is to get them as much below $425 as possible. My dad HAD TO HAVE ventilated seats on his A4. There were like 5 in the north east and no one wanted to move units at the end of april due to costco, so he ended up settling on color.

Convince them youre serious, if that means being unable to get there on short notice, tell them “If you can get me this number, you can send a deposit request form in your reply and i’ll sign that and send my CC number” just as an example

Yeah. I also don’t have time to go dealer to dealer. And I’m doin stuff via email so I have things or agreements (if any come to) in writing. Any phone calls are just phone calls. But I get that I need to just forge forward if there is no accompanying person available.

Absolutely no one is suggesting you go from dealer to dealer.

2 Likes

Yes, I get you. And yes, as long as we can get close to $400 I am ok. I think we can do better than $430/mo but it’s up to me to push and be more immediate on my availability to sign.

I know no one is saying that. I’m just saying I can’t do that. Some people can. I can’t. That’s it. Can I not say something without having things picked apart? I appreciate the help from everyone.

The point is that no one should, regardless of if they can. The way you’re discussing it makes it sound like it something that you would do if you could. It’s also a very common mistake people make in this process.

The way you said what you did basically set up a red flag and we are trying to help you not make mistakes.