Deal Check: 2021 Hyundai Palisade SEL AWD --- Update - Took Delivery

Hello, love reading the site and all that provide insight to deals.
Been having my eye on Palisade since it was announced. My dealer in NY ran out of 2020’s and just got there first batch of 2021 SEL in stock. Everything is aligned with color and features (AWD/Convenience/Premium). We have been happy with dealer, leased many of cars and referred many of people. But with pricing concerns and lack of programs, I came here to be educated.

Very hard to get numbers from our contact. Only thing they committed to was monthly price and how much down needed. I provided 2 view points based off Edmunds MF and Residual. Edmunds also said 250 lease cash available while the dealer said no programs available yet (not even loyalty as i’m coming from a Hyundai lease). I get there want to make money but I don’t want to be robbed either.

MSRP 44040 as i have the window stick
Selling Price - GUESSED to try and match the monthly payments on both options
Term 36/12k
Residual 62 (edmunds)
MF .00174 (edmunds)
Fee’s - unsure of dealer and acquistion fees so i left those as is.

Deal 1 provided us at $636, 1st month and DMV fees due at signing, dealer fees taxes rolled in. I made the calcuator close to using $0 drive off but around 750 would be due with DMV and 1st month.

Almost zero drive off

Deal 2 provided us at $560 a month (originally $570), 1st month DMV, Taxes and Dealer fees due at signing (around 3000-3100). I said 2500 down but i really meant due at signing. Dealer factor in down payment + first month and DMV fees.

3000 Due at signing (give or take)

I think they are close but feel like based on feed back on the community, it could be better but this dealer has no reason to greatly discount as here in NY, everybody wants this car and it moves itself. Dealer is trying to help us as we are long term customers and have been in quite a few times to see what they can do for us. I asked for the sell price today and pretty much your getting a great deal which from my estimate, is maybe around 2% off but no way near what others have gotten. As i don’t want to push the relationship, she can tell I was trying to be an educated consumer before seeing contract and signing my life away.

Any help would be great. The price is alot better from where they started but feel i could do better a others have Limited near this price point. Thanks in advanced!!

I think you’ve already almost gotten to the conclusion. This is an awful lease deal. You’re in demo BMW/MB/Audi territory.

At this pricing I’d rather just buy out the car. The Hyundai has a 5Y/60K mile warranty so you’re good on it for a while.

I think you’ll likely pay more on the lease over 3 years than buying outright and selling later.

1 Like

OP - step back here for a moment… they are refusing to provide selling price or MF, correct? Most of your numbers are guesses or estimates, right? Can anyone provide any guidance when the numbers are in flux? Ok, having the Edmunds numbers help, but you don’t know what the dealer is using.

From a ‘relationship’ standpoint, what do they owe you and what do you owe them? (This is a rhetorical question by the way…)

Last point - from your time in LH, I think you know that with this many red flags, the advice has been to walk. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

That’s a lot of money for stinky interior.

2 Likes

Yes, i’m assuming residual and MF are correct as I didn’t have much to go on as well. It was late when I posted. And that’s why I’m guessing at sales price to get near the price.

Finance @ 1.9 is about 700 I believe. We thought about it as well but to high especially giving the Covid world we are dealing with.

We aren’t a BMW Mercedes family by any means but last month with Volvo deals, we did check out XC90 which I may revisit. I understand your point, for the payment you should be stepping up in class.

From the relationship, they owe me nothing obviously but with the loyaritlty we get with my wife “brokering” or just sending referrals, I think they are trying to do us a solid. Then again, if we seem happy, and they get there profit, life is good. This is really the first time i have ever challenged them in 12 years as the internet gives you some knowledge

Stinky interior isn’t present on SEL models. Only some Limited trims.

Never assume buy rate MF until you have in writing that it is.

The dealer isn’t trying to help you. They’re giving you a mediocre discount compared to what others are able to get on this model (as an example, I saw a posting today on a 21 SEL at $5200 off MSRP) and are not disclosing the details. A dealer that is intentionally withholding the information you requested is as far from your friend as you could get.

This strategy isn’t great, you’re better off doing research on here, Edmunds and brand-specific forums to see what kind of dealer discount is possible.

Then plug everything into the LH calculator to see what kinda payment and DAS you can target.

But a 700 lease payment is ok? Move on to other dealers.

We (wife and I) did bad math but that was a finance price i’m sure at 84 months which i would never do.

Noted mllcb42.

Your discussions have been the inspiration while my wife says, our dealer does the best for her and I augured that they don’t. I called only dealers (6-7 if i recall) that had cars in stock with our features but it was such a challenge with covid, and you have to come in first to discuss nonsense. With my market, i just felt hopeless that I personally given up until the our dealer wanted to make another attempt at this which we did an now, thinking about 560 a month with taxes/first month/fee upfront. This is the lowest i’ve seen from any dealer so i give them credit but no where near people here. Heck, i feel like i should be in a limited for this price.

Thanks for the feedback!!!

Of course its a variable but since i’m missing data, i just it as a place holder of where we should be which i believe just means less discount off the top if these numbers are correct.

This is legit. I thought it was the “new car smell” but it hasn’t gone away. I don’t smell anything organic just a harsh chemical smell and it’s been almost 4 months. Thankfully it’s my wife’s car and she hasn’t said nothing about it.

You won’t get into a limited for that price, but you should be able to improve this deal. Personally, I’d recommend putting together an offer of your own and shopping that. There’s no reason you need to ask dealers what they want you to pay when you can just tell them what you want to pay.

1 Like

Where in NY are you? I got a great deal on my Limited at Hyundai 112 in Medford (Long Island).

Atlantic Automall, West Islip.

I’ve heard good things about @AA-NJ. He’s pumped out some solid Hyundai deals, worst thing is to drop him a line.

I actually did reach out to him thanks from other palisade threads where he has commented. Thanks!

So, wife and I took delivery of 2021 Palisades AWD. We went Midnight Cloud with Grey interior. Awesome car, Big car. We are coming from a Sante Fe for the past 6 years as the family car. Been with Hyudai now 10+ years and this year might of been the last except for the Palisades as we done most of the other trucks/cars that suit us.

Thanks mllcb42 your feedback. I learned alot during this process even though this is our 8th lease but it was my first time in charge of the transaction even though i’m the money guy in the house. I still believe I have a lot to learn but felt like I won something. First thing, i don’t think i’m gonna pay taxes and some fees upfront. I’ll take the hit monthly on that to keep money in the bank. Biggest thing I learned so setting hard counters instead of playing the small games of back and forth and moving the needle a few dollars. I know i left money on the table and terminology is everything. Drive off vs money down are two different things. That’s when i lost money i believe besides fighting for the 4% discount.

Thank you all for assisting and commenting.

LeaseHackR Calculator