Deal check: 2021 Ford Explorer in CT

I have been working with a local dealer in CT to price a new 2021 Ford Explorer XLT. I have “xplan” pricing through my work, which sets the selling price at 4% off MSRP and lowers the dealer fee in CT from $700 to $100.

This is what these numbers are based on. I checked the MF and RV with Edmunds and they match, so I’m good there. I think at this point, the only way I can save additional money is if I get a lower selling price, correct?

The only other place I’ve checked pricing is Rodo, and they are selling a similar car at about $470/mo all-in (they get there with a lower sales price it seems).

Yes, I know Fords aren’t a popular car here to talk about, but happy for any thoughts folks have.

Thanks!

Numbers given by the Ford dealer:

36 months / 10,500 miles year
MSRP: $44,670
Selling price = $42,862.81
Dealer fee = $100
Acquisition fee = $645
Reg fee = $250
Rebates = $3,000
Cash-down = $2,000 (to cover fees + 1st month + about $300 to cap cost reduction)
MF: .000345 (.83% APR)
Residual: 56%
Total cap reduction: $4,235
Total capped fees: $995
Total taxes: $3,243
Adjusted cap cost: $39,623

TOTAL NET PAYMENT = $428/mo
+Sales tax/month = $30/mo
+Property tax/month = $53/mo
TOTAL ALL-IN PAYMENT = $511

On an XLT I imagine you could get a slightly bigger pre-incentive discount without xplan, but with the dealer fee discount it may be a wash, especially at buy rate with that MF

What does this include? There should be $1500 rcl if you have or are returning another ford lease, $750 for aged units 61+ days, but I’m not seeing exactly $3k with the available incentives.

What is property tax?

1 Like

He said $1,500 for lease cash from Ford (this applies for everyone) and $1,500 for coming out of an Explorer lease. I know the first $1,500 is right, but I didn’t know Ford offered so much on a new lease for coming out of one. As a comparison, Ford is offering $2,000 if leasing or buying a 2020 Explorer.

But again, just relaying what I’m being told. Hope he’s not wrong on that!

In CT, I pay tax to the state on all “property” I own, including cars (and including leased cars that I don’t technically own). Some people also know this as a mill tax or excise tax.

Same theory as property taxes on your house. There is a set rate and it’s multiplied by the value of the car. For Ford, that cost is rolled right into the monthly.

Unfortunately, I’m gonna pay it for all cars I lease here, so I can’t get out of that $50 or so no matter what I lease across any brand.

TBH thats a lot for a moderately equipped Ford Explorer

I don’t disagree. But there is nothing else we really liked quite in that same price range (about $425 a month pre-tax for a 6-seater SUV). Telluride, Palisade, MDX, etc. are all a good bit more per month (and we didn’t really like the 2020 MDX anyway).

It has good mix of comfort and style for our liking - similar to the others note above. But also about $100 a month cheaper.

Does this come with any packages?

The one quoted above was an AWL XLT with sport appearance package + moonroof.

We ended signing one slightly more expensive (about $45k) for slightly less per month ($400 pre-tax) with $2,250 DAS on an AWD XLT with sport appearance package, moonroof, tech package, floormats, and cargo management.

I got a similar offer for a msrp about 45k and 444/month and $650 DAS

Nice. About the same. I think yours is even slightly better!

With the Xplan and other discounts it’s about 5500 off the asking price. Only issue is I have until March with my current Nissan lease.

Interestingly, the first quote I posted in this thread was with xplan, but it ended up being slightly cheaper without it. Xplan capped the selling price and they couldn’t move from it, which was limiting when trying to get the best deal. But xplan also capped the fees. I ended up with a selling price about $1,200 lower than xplan, but the fees were about $700 higher without it.

Also, can you look to see if your lease can be traded in early?

Ive never had any luck leasing anything in CT. I normally check surrounding states. I believe Ct also has a mandatory $599 fee that you can escape by buying out of state.

You can’t escape anything like that. Look at the NY tristate. NY is capped at $75 while NJ and CT aren’t.

Unless you get lucky NY typical selling price will exceed an NJ or CT dealer’s by more than $599.

Capped doc fees are just a mirage.

1 Like

I can turn it in early. Just wondering if it makes sense to pay a whole month($300) and just turn the car in and then get hit with a disposition fee ($395). But I hate the rogue and nissan at this point.

The price I am getting is
MSRP $45,265
selling $43704 x-plan
And I am getting about $5500 in rebates
$650 DAS and $444/month

$5,500 in rebates on a lease?

Yes
I got a essential worker coupon mailed to me and a few others that he offered

I’d like to do a deal check but am not able to post?

Is the $444/mo you quoted with or without tax?

I signed at about $405 a month pre-tax with $3,500 incentives and $2,250 DAS.