Dash Cam Recommendations

Thanks @vhooloo and @JamesBond for sharing stories. I though this shit was only back in Russia or some uncommon insurance fraud stuff.

blackvue 750-2ch

Blackvue makes a great product. I often recommend the 590 instead of the 750 because it is less money and most people don’t seem to be satisfied with the BV cloud services anyway (which is the main feature difference between the two models). I’d be curious to hear other BV cloud services user experiences.

Does anyone have any recent experiences with dash cams they like? I’m considering the blackvue 590, but with how quickly consumer electronics change, figure there may be a new kid on the block.

:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Is it worth investing into a Dashcam? I’ve been driving for a little less than a decade and luckily didn’t get in an accident or hit&run. A few dings here and there in the parking lot but nothing major.

Yes. Part of the reason for getting a dash cam is that you don’t need it, until you do. It was only like $60 for a DR02, just check slickdeals every so often for when amazon deals are posted.

I have two Thinkware F800’s and one Thinkware F200D. Happy with both models.

Kind’ve like insurance… A few years ago, I got into an accident where someone fully lost control of their car in the center lane, swerved into my lane in front of me, hit the median and I hit him from behind. It was unavoidable. Yet the story they gave to the insurance company was that I hit them and then they lost control into the median. Although ultimately I was found 100% not at fault, I have put a dashcam in all of my cars ever since.

3 Likes

I have the blackvue 4k 2-ch and it works well.

i have the vanture n2pro you can pick up off amazon for about 120. i like that it records inside and out.

I have had a car parked on the street totalled due to a DUI hit and run, someone back right up onto the hood of my non-moving car in a parking lot and say it was my fault, etc. Not having to play the “he said, she said” game sure sounds nice for $1-200.

2 Likes

I spent a little more for 4k image quality to better pick up license plate numbers.

@jay3 Just ordered a set. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Not sure exactly if this was mentioned before or not but I’ve been using Owl for the last 3 years on my vehicle. Contains guard-mode and records before impact, plugs right into OBD2 and you can basically connect to your camera through their app 24/7/365. It has a two-way talk system, and a flashlight you can turn on at night. The only downside is you have to pay a monthly fee for using their LTE service -around $20 for an unlimited amount of time before that they used to charge that same price per 60mins.

Just swapped my blackvue 4k 2ch into my new car. Still the best image quality i have seen, and love the ability to record while parked too

Always hear good things about blackvue and finally got one but I’m not a fan. Slow to boot up, software finicky, microsd needs constant reformatting and going into parking mode kinda randomly. Had good experiences with street guardian and thinkware. My wife doesn’t care but she even commented that it sucks.

Got a Blackvue DR750x-2ch. Installed it, wired to the rear fuse box, easy peasy lemon squeezy. Now I wanted to get a battery pack for park mode installed, because people in malls and parking lots are assholes. Battery pack to car, easy, simple clear. Where I’m getting a little confused is this. The battery pack to camera is designed as 12 volt socket. I obviously don’t have a 12 volt plug on the camera, but rather a 3 wire cable. Has anyone tried the setup like to cut off the 12 volt from the battery pack, connect camera power to battery power, camera ground to battery ground, and camera ACC cable still to ACC fuse in the car. This way (at least the theory works in my head), the camera will draw power from the battery pack, but the get a trigger from ACC wire to go into parking mode instead of internal timer + gsensor.

Am I over complicating this?

You are better off posting this on a forum either related to your car or car electronics. Don’t think you will find much help on leasehackr.

4 Likes