Costco gas, anyone?

I don’t want the scratch or damage my car dragging the fuel line over the trunk lid or rear window.

6 Likes

I guess it depends on the size of the car, but I’ve never had a problem with the line even touching - let alone scratching or damaging it. There’s plenty of slack! But hey, I’d rather more people don’t bother with it anyway, it defeats the advantage :sunglasses:

Same here. I notice most people at Costco have Japanese or American cars with the gas on the left hand side. Makes the wait a little easier with the gas on the opposite side.

4 Likes

New car finance backroom money maker: “Costco gas pump excess wear and tear lease protection” only $27 per month…

Never had an issue with a gas pump at Costco reaching or remotely scratching any of my cars

Premium difference at Costco is substantial here in South Florida - can be 50 cents to a buck a gallon. Regular 87 not so much depending on the area.

3 Likes

Not costco, but similar business model, walmart gas…stay away

The pump lines are rubber, not going to scratch your paint at all…

1 Like

I have seen too many people, in a rush to get to the pump or leave, nearly hit someone pumping, or the handle itself, when crossing-over

Also this. Everyone else’s selection bias to not pump from the opposite side usually saves me waiting, like it did last night.

2 Likes

What I dont understand is , why people spend 30-40 minutes to save $5? My time is worth more than that.

That’s a great question…but who spends 30-40 minutes getting gas, even at Costco? Even when it’s super busy, the wait might add 10-15 minutes to a normal fill up.

Also, it’s not really “wasted” time while parked - after all, you can repeatedly check leasehackr :joy:

3 Likes

LOL, that’s true, not like I’m going to come home and earn any money for that 30 mins. But I’ve seen here that it is always busy and easily 2-3 cars waiting in each lane. If it is only 1 car, I’d wait but usually that’s not the case so I skip

A bit off topic but:

According to Grey Goose, it isn’t. But a lot of things are such as batteries / duracell.

Now could it be made in the same factory and just bottled in a different place? Maybe

Live in NJ. Get your gas pumped for you. Easy. LOL

4 Likes

This gets me on my soap box. Every time I go to Costco gas, people are REALLY taking their sweet time.

Put the gas in your car then LEAVE! It’s not rocket science. What are you doing? Writing a novel? Filing your taxes? Contemplating the purpose of life?

Every time I get gas at Costco I am bewildered at what the hell the people are doing in front of me. I make it a point to get in an out as fast as I can.

2 Likes

Ha, the same thing drives me nuts. I imagine some of those people are processing waves of regret after buying a bunch of things in bulk that they probably didn’t need in the first place…

Is that any worse than the people that leave the car at the pump and walk into Wawa for 15 minutes

Does Wawa have lines for gas?

Since we’re on the topic of gas lines. Might as well bring up the Taco Bell line as well.

1 Like

Not every gas station has THAT much slack. Ask me why I know. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m really surprised you’ve never had a line touch. I’ve always driven compact cars, and, the few times I’ve tried, there’s usually (always?) some slight touching. But maybe there’s a geometry thing that I’m not getting.

At regular gas stations it varies, but Costco pumps tend to be newer and they always seem to work that way for me.

To be fair, there are a lot of variables here so I’m not saying this would work on every car. But generally, if I don’t want the line to touch, I use one hand to operate the pump and the other hand to hold the line out for more slack. It also matters where you park in relation to the pump (and where your fuel tank opening is located). I try to pull up far enough so that the line can run easily behind the car, not over it. And to be clear: I wouldn’t unnecessarily use the opposite side to fill up…only when there’s a much shorter line.

I never would have imagined that I’d be thinking so much about this…

*As long as there’s no dirt/contaminates on your car or the hose to get dragged against the paint

5 Likes