Confused about i4 lease NJ

The ones I’ve spoken with don’t deal with dealerships inside NJ, which makes the car ineligible for the Charge Up NJ Rebate. The deals tend to work out the same but I’d have to pay a broker fee and arrange shipping/delivery unfortunately. So in this particular instance it would be more expensive.

1 Like

Did you talk to any of these?
@HN308 @nyclife @nextlevelautobrokers

Local NJ dealers just won’t do the same discount off as out of state since they know another 2k comes from charge up. I’m sure it’s possible but will require leg work and definitely won’t be the dealership down the road from you.

1 Like

I’m aware I’ve been trying hah, I’m really just looking for base MF with the state and national offers at this point.

Yeah, we are at 6.25% off our lowest msrps is 56.8.

2 Likes

All else being equal, take the deal without NJ Charge Up.

You can transfer out of it if necessary, maybe even make some money from someone on SAL.

You’ll also preserve one of your NJCU eligibility, since it’s only 3 in a lifetime afaik.

Have you driven the i4?

I just test drove the i4 M50 this past weekend at the BMW UDE at the Meadowlands and was extremely unimpressed fyi.

Make sure you drive one before committing.

Ultimately that may be the direction I go if I can’t get a dealership to commit.

I’ll have to look into the lifetime usage of the NJCU that’s good information thank you.

Update - So @Justlooking was correct, they were only factoring in $1500 down. Which I’ve clarified.

However, they are telling me both the Charge UP NJ Rebate and the $7500 incentive are both taxable, does anyone know if that’s accurate?

It doesn’t matter if it is taxable or not for you, since you are in NJ, and there is no tax on EVs. So the incentives will not be taxed either, since they are part of a transaction for said EV.

Not an expert but it might be a sales tax there if the dealer is not in NJ and doesn’t know or doesn’t want to deal with sales tax exemptions.

From what I can tell the tax is on the $7500 lease credit and the DMV fees. I’m going to ask them to clarify.

That’s a good point, I was assuming the dealer was from NJ.

Oh sorry it is a dealer in NJ, that’s why I’m asking them to clarify because I was under the impression it wouldn’t be taxed so wasn’t factoring any into my calculator.

If the dealer is in NJ no sales tax at all on EV car transactions
Alternative Fuels Data Center: New Jersey Laws and Incentives.

1 Like

Also You can call the program to clarify this.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for the help it was indeed the fact they weren’t accounting for the DAS money.

However, it turns out that even though the i4 e35 is listed as an eligible vehicle for the Charge Up NJ Rebate none of the BMW dealerships in the state have registered for the program. I wasn’t aware that dealers had the option to not participate. So now to see if any are even willing to register.

2 Likes

If they haven’t registered by now, they never will.

Can’t fix stubborn or stupid.

2 Likes

This is what the dealer just replied with -

“You’re taxed on any funds that come from the manufacturer. Rebates are not tax exempt - just the car.”

I would just call this number or email to make sure.

1 Like