Cheapest electric commuter?

Is 4xe practical as a first car/only car? BTW, can people also lease Leaf/Frontier and sell it to make money? Which of the 3 makes more sense to my case?

Probably not given the high RVs, which can be as high as 75% for the LEAF and 99% for the Frontier. Not sure if that’s still current, but that’s what it was when those lease deals first started getting talked about. At either number, you’re almost guaranteed to never have equity unless they really starting going for over MSRP by a lot. You also can’t sell it to anyone other than a Nissan/Infiniti dealer.

So if you lease one of those, expect to keep it the full 18-mo and just turn it back in.

Not really. NMAC doesn’t allow 3rd party buyouts which makes that a lot harder.

Prius Prime ownership

Second would be Nissan Leaf lease. You’d be back on the market in 18 months. That’s either a good or bad thing depending on how much you like shopping for cars.

Segway EMoped C80

1 Like

Went to two Nissan dealers, they laughed at me when I asked about the Leaf! They said they are always preordered. Meanwhile friend was looking at an Altima yesterday, salesman already called this morning to ask what he could do to make the sale. Apparently March is the end of their fiscal year so they wanted to make the sale. Was offering initially $399 plus $995 down, by the time we left yesterday they were offering $339 0 down plus taxes dmv bank and first payment. This was on an SR AWD. He thought about decided he just did not want the car. He would have happily taken a sub $100 Leaf deal but they had none. No longer used to salesman following up or bothering if you do not take the car immediately, maybe times are changing?No idea

Move to a strategy of making offers.

Plug the following into the LH calculator after MSRP of the vehicle you’re looking at:

Selling price based on % pre-incentive discount found by searching Shared Deals and Marketplace sections of this forum.

RV, MF and incentives (lease cash) from the Lease Program Query or Edmunds forums. Add any extra rebates you qualify for (college grad, etc) under incentives.

DMV fees and taxes based on your state’s official website.

Voila! Now check the box to make it $0 DAS and offer the resulting monthly payment*

• preferably rounded to a multiple of $5 or $10 to make yourself seem more like a normal person :innocent:
2 Likes

Nice! Too bad those do not exist anymore. I slogged through a bunch of posts bragging about getting a Camry for $600 under MSRP with an added protection package that costs $695! (not exactly but you know what I mean). People are bragging about getting MSRP! on everything except a Leaf, Frontier or Wrangler 4Xe where you can do promotions and you can get something. Even then, I asked the Jeep dealer about the Tread Lightly program (environmental charity that gets you to invoice depending on the length of your membership) and he laughed. Anything under MSRP usually involves a lease return in the normal Japanese brands, Toyota, Honda etc

We have no lease return.The Altima deal we were offered was well below what the brokers on here were offering! I am sensing some stuff related to the end of the fiscal year for car dealers, however they have to have it in stock or you have no idea what the programs will be. This car was sitting on the lot and we test drove it, too bad my friend does not want it (his kid crashed one about 6 months ago and it was giving him flashbacks!)

Drove one of these at Mission Viejo Mall CA
$18k, no leasing programs, $750 CA rebate. 100Mile range.
Classed as a 3 wheel Motorcycle.

The front is the size of a Fiat 500, the rear is the size of my rear end…lol. Looks like a T in Tesla from the top and like a ladies shoe from the side.

Freeway legal, but I would probably be scared to take it on the freeway.
Level 2 Only (4 hrs) 100 miles.
Feels like you are sitting in a gokart from a local amusement park. It can’t handle speedbumps at anything more than 2mph (or it scrapes the ground) You are probably 6" off the ground to your seat.

Getting in is easy, getting out is an engineering article (must open BOTH doors to get out). This is because it’s so tight inside you can swing out your leg without opening the other door as well. Good head clearance.

It’s pretty noisy, and the AC works. If there was a leasing program this might be a good commuter but 18k…it’s a bit out there.

https://www.electrameccanica.com/solo/

As a Bonus the Tesla chargers there (8 of them I think) were 100% full and 10 Teslas were waiting in a line to charge. Looked like a Costco Gas line.

3 Likes

No promotions are needed to get significant discounts on a jeep. What you need to do is research the pre-incentive discount based on comp deals so you know what is possible rather than just asking dealers what they want you pay, otherwise you walk away with a dealer laughing about an incentive and leading you to believe it isn’t legit rather than knowing to just walk away from the dealer.

Yes we have been doing a lot of walking. I think we are talking about two different things, Tread Lightly is a charitable promotion if you are a member and have been for a period of time and gives you invoice or slightly below but they are not honoring it at the two dealers I went to. My friend does not have time to wait 30 days for the TL promotion to kick in for him so it really is not a factor. He also does not want to wait 3 -4 months either. You are speaking of a discount off MSRP for preorders unrelated to any incentive. I assume that the TL promotion does not stack with the discount off MSRP that the brokers on here are offering but I have no idea. Most order deals on here are being done for 7-9.5% below MSRP plus the federal $7500 plus state if any incentives. Given the 63% residual, the car becomes reasonable. I have looked through the threads, seen the broker deals and I have told the dealers that we visited we are planning to order a car at around 8.5% below MSRP plus the $7500 rebate and they wish us luck! We smile and leave because we really went there to test drive not buy!

We went to the dealer because my friend (who is considering the Jeep) is a repeat customer, we walked out because they said 4 months and they had nothing with blind spot which is a deal breaker for my friend (his rental does not have BS and found he is used to it and cannot stand not having it). I also took him to Subaru but that one was doing $3K over MSRP but they were sitting with stock so it was a good chance to test drive and compare the models I am considering for me. The general manager got rather unpleasant when I asked them if they were honoring the national ad on a base legacy. We walked out but it was fun test driving since my friend had never even been in a Subaru. They were of course not honoring the ASPCA one either. In this situation it is important to email them before you set foot to see if they are honoring the VIP programs or charity ones. I found in this market with the other stuff you do not get an email response but may be my region

Total price 44,485

Residual 27,556

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.