Cheapest electric commuter?

I’m in North Califonia and I can charge my electric car in my company for free. I mostly drive < 100 miles per week for work/grocery, no family yet. I’m a new drive so active safety features are important for me (like Honda sensing). What are the cheapest options to get a car in my use case? Electric or plug-in hybrid? Buy new or lease or buy used ones? I’m qualified for the $7500 federal tax credit, no state incentives (at most a few hundred). Will electric cars depreciate so fast that Tacoma/Frontier is actually cheaper to own? SUV is slightly preferred to a sedan.

Nissan leaf and Hyundai Kona EV. I’d buy a used BMW i3 120ah personally.

4 Likes

Those are going to drop like the rocks they are once this is all over. Mark my words.

1 Like

Any freeway? If not can I interest you in a cheap car (it’s really a go cart with doors)
$12k
https://www.kandiamerica.com/NEV-K27/

Hold on, does this qualify for the $7500, and it means it’s really $5500?

Edit : OMG IT DOES!

2 Likes

I think 12k has already taken 7.5k credit into consideration?

since the $7500 is off your taxes, that looks like $4500 after rebate

If so have a body shop chop off the top and have a badass golf cart :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Are they going for a lot now?

If by “this,” you mean the war, I think it might go on for much longer than we think. :frowning:

I prefer to keep politics out of the discussion, it’s a touchy subject right now. I’d prefer to say ‘this’ in reference to the ongoing pricing bubble.

1 Like

Understood. My comment was certainly not meant to be a political one.

1 Like

Non-political: are EVs part of the pricing bubble, too? I know Teslas have high resale value, but I assumed that virtually all other EVs resale value kind of stunk. But I haven’t done any looking.

1 Like

Sorry if I was defensive, but etrons are worth more than their intended residual but probably out of budget. Leafs dropped like rocks due to their range doing the same. My thinking is that value drops significantly correspondently to the release of new technology - that’s my train of thought.

Could it be related to EV buyers being more sensitive to technology, being early adaptors? It needs more research and data. But let’s be honest the i3 gets like what 150 miles of EV range, 200 with the extender which is abysmal as a purpose-built EV.

Teslas get some form of updates for a very long time - casually browsing Tesla forums you’ll see Model S cars with 3,4,500k miles still getting updates over wifi now (rip 3g). I think that’s a selling point alongside the 8 year powertrain warranty and supercharger network.

1 Like

Nissan Leaf for a lease.

Tesla models 3 and Y, Mustang Mach E for purchase. No. 1 reason being low depreciation. Mach E has federal tax credit, Tesla does not.

3 Likes

How about Kia/Hyundai/VW EVs?

The $12k are NEV’s (Neighborhood Electric Vehicles) which are speed limited to like 25-35mph or something like that, which do not qualify for the Federal Tax Credit. The “full” versions of these cars (the same car but without the software speed limiter) never came to market because I think they didn’t meet US safety standards

Awww dang. Interesting they kept the same model numbers as the EVs

It’s the same exact car, one with just a software limiter to get around the safety regulations just to sell them. Kandi K27 EV // Kandi K27 NEV

So basically you are saying that if we were to ‘tune’ this , we would get a freeway capable car for $12k?

Niro EV leases pretty well. The VW ID.4 is very tough to get, will be significantly over MSRP on one if you need it soon and if you want it at MSRP you have to order one and wait. Lease is okay on the ID.4

EV6 and Ioniq 5 dont have lease incentives so purchase only is recommended on those

3 Likes

Let’s say that a few people in the Kandi America FB group are actively trying to find a “solution”