Cheap Kia Stingers are on the way

Well the issue is about premature cracking, particularly upon impact from debris. And they are paying for a respray and additional warranty on the paint, at a high cost too. So there’s really no downside, it’s quite possible that it already got sprayed since this was announced in July.

1 Like

They took the Stingers with defected paint off sale and you can’t even buy a buyback ones. It’s a lease anyway, so who cares.

I dunno about the buyback ones, but the deal seemed to be that they weren’t making more yellow ones, it was a limited edition color. If you took a buyback you could get any color but yellow. If you took a respray they repainted it yellow with a lifetime warranty, and I believe gave you some money for your troubles too. All told the entire fix was about $10,000 per car. So if there’s one on a lot somewhere I’m curious what the deal is. Did it get sprayed already? Will it need to be? Is there a stop sale on it and the dealer doesn’t know, or maybe they do know, and plan on using it as some kind of bait and switch? I wouldn’t put it past a Kia dealer.

The issue arose from the fact that Kia had limited experience painting aluminum panels. The hood of my car was peppered with peeling and cracking paint from light driving so it was definitely defecective.

Also, there is NO additional warranty added to the paint. I don’t know where people for this idea, but Kia was very specific to say that the respray did not negatively affect the active warranty, but we did not get an extended one. Still 36 months, 36k miles.

My understanding was that it was a supplier issue, defective ingredients in the yellow paint they purchased. And the car got no extra warranty, but the paint was given a lifetime warranty against defects after respray.

Not a lifetime warranty.

I actually believe the total cost per respray exceeds 10k per car. Considering that it’s been aost 7 weeks that my car has been in the body shop and I still don’t have it back…

Everyone’s experience with this has been different, some better than others. Mine has been pretty poor overall. A lot of people have been rejecting the respray because of clear coat overspray, mismatched bumpers with body panels, damaged weather stripping, among other things.

Just saying, the respray hasn’t been an effective solution because Kia Corporate entrusted Kia dealers to coordinate the whole thing and we’ll, do you think Kia dealers have the relationships with the highest quality body shops out there?

Personally, I think the whole thing is a mess.

3 Likes

What loaner did they give you? Don’t tell me Forte lol… Did you think about taking the buyback instead?

They claimed a supplier issue… But honestly, yellow isn’t the only color experiencing this problem. I think Kia of avoiding recognizing the other colors. Yellow was easy, only 400 we’re out there.

The Australian owners had be shared more on some of the forums. They said the investigation found the paint process to have been in incorrect for the type of metal the car is made of.

Yes, the warranty covers the respray and any defect from it, but the warranty runs as normal. From reading the package Kia sent me, my impression was that the respray would not affect the warranty, but it would still run out after 3 years.

1 Like

I think it’s similar to the way you get a “lifetime” corrosion warranty on some cars, which exceeds the regular and powertrain obviously. Did they end up cutting you a check for your troubles? They should probably give you more if it’s been almost two months.

They took my to nextcar and gave me a Toyota Camry…

The Camry has cloth seats that are stained, some sticky residue underneath the seats that is colored brown (eww), the body paneling on the car has some dents and rust from some damage…

They wouldn’t move me up to anything else they had the lot and did me 0 favors. The rental is one of the most annoying parts of the this whole issue for me.

Honestly, I’ve had such a negatively experience with the rental, dealer service, and wait that I’m just going to elect to sell the car back. I don’t want anything else to do with this situation and Kia. My patience has run out.

2 Likes

Check only comes after the car gets back to me and I accept the respray. I can still reject the respray and take another stinger or sell it back completely.

It’s funny… Other guys with who did this were given fully loaded sorentos for loaners or Cadillacs for rentals… Yay me! #firstworldpropblems

1 Like

That sucks man, it’s pretty unacceptable that they would handle something like this so poorly.

Well at least you’re not stuck if you decide to ditch it.

Yup, that’s my only saving grace. A lot of folks who wanted the cash (5k) did the respray, because of the way it was handled they’re now selling back and trading out.

I think Kia lost a lot of good will by using the dealer network on something so significant. I’m just not quite sure how else they could have done it… We always knew the dealers would be the ones to hurt Stingers. Honestly, it’s a phenomenal car otherwise. I truly enjoy it and it’s a blast to drive. Love the power, I miss it every day :/.

1 Like

It’s a shame, by all reports they really nailed the overall package, but they absolutely had to nail the sales end of it, and issues like this too. Kind of like the position Alfa is in, a really nice car in theory is of no use if you can’t drive it for weeks or months at a time, and there’s enough issues like that to make the perception stick.

Dang, StingerTT… The Stinger has the best rear legroom / performance of any of the cars I’m looking at, and easy to mod… And yet, over and over I hear about how bad the Kia dealers are… And the paint issues. Such a shame…

After 10 months of looking I pulled the trigger last week. I got the GT2 AWD with the 18" wheel pack, HiChroma Red, fully loaded (HUD, Nappa, Panoramic, Remote Start) and couldn’t be happier. It’s everything that I expected and more. The technology is great - do I really need a G-Force gauge, launch mode, lap timer, and the ability to pause and rewind live radio??? Yes, apparently I do. The paint is amazing in red (and I don’t even like red cars) and the performance is fantastic.

I got mine locally here in Milwaukee. I leased (36/10) with the intention to buy as the numbers make more sense for me.
MSRP - 52,795
Gross cap cost - 50948
Cap reductions (Rebates) 10,700
Adj cap - 40,248
Monthly payment 591
RV 25869
Acq fee 650
Doc fee 299
DAS First pay, tax, title, plates 1348

I can buy it out after 2 payments to KIA Financial (second one is due the 25th of this month) for roughly 40K. Not a leasehackr worthy deal, but it fits my plan and my budget. I’m good to go and love the car.

2 Likes

I know many people planned to buy it out after a few payments just to take advantage of the incentives and lease cash. It’s absolutely better financed than lease if you have the money to do so.

The red is a beautiful color, definitely a great choice. Enjoy the ride man, I wish I still had mine with me to enjoy :/.

1 Like

What’s up with that discount, seems weak for a car that nobody is buying

Dealers gotta make money somehow!