🚨 Charge Up NJ Phase 3 IS HERE (7/25/22)

Maybe be it did “help” put them on the road in the past however this year there is more EV demand then current supply. These cars will sell with or without rebate, and I’m willing to bet a good amount of total rebate will be pocketed by dealers because desperate buyer don’t have time to shop around because of supply.

Well i posted the language above which requires dealers just can’t add “ADM” but I’m sure that won’t stop them from adding fluff but if they they get caught overdoing it where it becomes borderline violation of the rules they are taking more risk then worth.

So i am not sure it will be that bad but i do think at the end of the both parties will benefit.

Does this mean when this becomes active the dealers are supposedly going to take 4k of the selling price of the car when calculating lease/finance?

Yes, don’t let them gaslight you into thinking you can do it after.

The problem is, like many have already said, is that they’ll just markup the car, and with the inventory as dry as it is already, many will pay. I’ll be keeping an eye on this thread to find out exactly when the funding for this gets passed. Thanks OP.

Find a good dealer for the car you want. Start your search now and make good dealer relations, multiple before they change their mind. Probably the best thing you could do.

The public hearing & request for comment is tomorrow at 1 pm, register via the link in my original post. I’ll be speaking!

2 Likes

I didn’t thoroughly read through the new proposal that was posted, here is a provision in PDF regarding dealer markups

“Dealership Participation Requirements: Participating Dealerships and Showrooms shall only apply incentives to eligible applicants and vehicles in accordance with Terms and Conditions. Participating Dealerships and Showrooms must notify eligible customers of the existence of the incentive at the point of sale. Participating Dealerships and Showrooms must communicate to customers that the line item deduction on the purchase or lease contract is a function of the Charge Up New Jersey Program. Dealerships and Showrooms are to deliver cars to customers at the point of sale prior to completing applications. No further actions, such as additional charges, vehicle mark-ups, payment contingencies, or holds, shall be taken against the customer for the incentive. The full incentive is to be applied at the point of sale. Incentives may not be held until the application is approved, nor issued as a check after the transaction is completed. Dealerships and Showrooms may not recuperate the value of the incentive from a customer in the event that an application is canceled due to Dealership or Showroom error or penalty.”

Thoughts? How do you think this will be fair, will dealers just be like, “it’s marked up so no rebate for you.” Is this legal technically? I just attended the hearing. The wording is pretty vague and we all know dealers can find a lot of sneaky loopholes and I expressed that to them so they can make proper adjustments to the wording.

“In order to ensure consumer confidence in the Program and prevent price gouging, dealers must provide fair, transparent pricing details. Price markups that diminish the value of the State’s incentive for the consumer are not permitted. Dealers may not include mark-ups or market price adjustments for which there is no specific line item or additional underlying value.”

This is pretty vague in my opinion, my assumption is this is made under the understanding that they can’t just add “market adjustment or ADM” on the contract, but it also doesn’t specify anything about any mandatory dealer accessories if that is considered “no specific line item”, additionally as we are leasehackrs, this also doesn’t prevent MF mark ups too.

This is the most likely outcome.

If there are no EVs in stock on dealer lots, customers will have a hard time claiming the incentive.

Just like last time, you’ll find that the only dealers that have EVs in stock will be “refusing to participate in the rebate program”.

On the bright side, I expect funds to last a lot longer if there are few to no EVs in NJ to buy!

1 Like

I read it as that: $5000 ADM makes you ineligible for this warranty, $5000 for Nitrogen fill doesn’t.

I’d be curious to see the T&Cs for participating dealers since it’s a POS rebate. Is the penalty fraud/jail or just expulsion from program?

When the fulfillment went to point-of-sale rebate, dealers had to set up a bank account that the money was pushed/pulled from by the state program.

Non-participating dealers claim they don’t want to participate, because, the state can essentially pull the money back out of the dealer’s bank account if a deal becomes ineligible.
Some of the conditions that would make a deal ineligible are controlled by the customer (i.e. if customer flips their car).

So, the dealer may claim that the flippers ruined their risk appetite for getting into the rebate agreement for the state. And it sounds like dealers can continue to claim this reason to keep marking up EVs and avoid participating in the program.

1 Like

Doubt it has anything to do with flipping. In that scenario state will go after individual for prorated amount, just like they always did. I says that they may withhold due to paperwork error.

Any word on this proposal status? As per NJ state websites it seems like there currently isnt one. Im thinking of possibly purchasing/leasing an EV around October.

The stakeholder meeting was around the same time as last year, so it should also start the same time around (7/6/22), it’s obviously past that. There were a few tweaks to the program for this year which may be causing that delay. All you can do it wait for now, but it “should” be here very soon, and if they listen to what the people are saying, it should also last the whole year if they change the rules correctly.

Thanks for the update. Fingers crossed it gets approved!

1 Like

I emailed them and they (BPU.nj.gov) responded with “The charge up program will start during fiscal year 2023, which began on July 1, 2022. No launch date has been announced, please watch NJBPU and NJ Clean Energy websites and social media for updates” Yeh, the problem is neither of those places have any updates.

1 Like

The day we have been waiting for is here!

The Charge Up NJ incentive has returned for FY23 / Phase 3!

Rebate details:

• $25 per EPA rated all electric mile up to $4000 for vehicles MSRP < $45,000
  • $25 per EPA rated all electric mile up to $2000 for vehicles MSRP $45,000 - $55,000

Eligibility:

• Be a resident of NJ
  • Register the car in NJ
  • Vehicle must be purchased/leased from eligible NJ dealer
  • MSRP under $55,000
  • (Leases) term must be 36 months or longer
  • No Market Adjustments or Overpriced Dealer Accessories (will explain below)
  • Vehicles must be ordered/purchased/leased on or after the start of the rebate program (7/25)

Constraints:

• Must remain resident of NJ for at least 2 consecutive years after purchase/lease
  • Vehicle must remain registered to original purchaser/lessee in NJ for minimum of 3 years (excluding special circumstances)
  • Only can receive 3 vehicle incentives within the 10 year program period

Specifics:

• Order Vehicle Eligibility: “The order date shall be defined as the date which the customer places a down payment of any sort on the vehicle.” (Page 12 Charge Up NJ Terms and Conditions)

• MSRP as defined: includes anything in relation to vehicle value including (but not limited) to battery/powertrain upgrades, autonomous driving packages, wheel/tire packages, audio and infotainment upgrades, etc. (Page 12 Charge Up NJ Terms and Conditions)

• MSRP EXCLUDES maintenance packages, vehicle accessories (floor mats first aid/raodside kits, etc.), DESTINATIONS FEES, registration fees, title fees, documentation fee. (Page 12 Charge Up NJ Terms and Conditions)

• Market Adjustment / Mandatory Vehicle Accessories
    “… Dealers may not include mark-ups or market price adjustments for which there is no specific line item or additional underlying value. … For example, the Program Administrator may deny an incentive reimbursement application for a vehicle sold above MSRP when there are no line items demonstrating that the customer received additional product or service options in exchange for paying a pre-incentive price that exceeds MSRP. The Program Administrator may likewise deny an application when line-item charges for additional product or service options appear to significantly exceed their typical market value.” (Page 8 Charge Up NJ Terms and Conditions)

Full Terms and Conditions here:

Happy Leasing :wink:

8 Likes

So doesn’t have to be from NJ dealer?