🚨 Charge Up NJ Phase 3 IS HERE (7/25/22)

Recently released is the Charge Up NJ Phase 3 details.

$25 a mile per EPA rated all electric mile, maximum $4,000 for vehicle MSRP (excluding destination) under $45,000 (down from $5,000)

$25 a mile per EPA rated all electric mile, maximum $2,000 for vehicle MSRP (excluding destination) under $55,000

(must be current NJ resident, must purchase/lease at eligible NJ dealership, minimum 3-year ownership/lease agreement, only 3 incentives in 10yr period, MUST be applied at inception & dealt with by dealer, no post purchase vehicle incentive)

NEW! $250 Household Level-2 EVSE post-purchase incentive (must be “smart” and approved by NJ)

Request for comments & Annual Public hearing June 13, 2022 at 1PM EST via Zoom

2023 Compliance Filing

4 Likes

It looks like the only Tesla you can squeeze in would be the M3 RWD.

Time to move into my aunt’s basement in NJ…

2 Likes

may take longer than 3 months now to run out of funds with most teslas not qualifying

2 Likes

Next thing you know they’ll add a union built stipulation. :joy:

It would appear so, my comment/proposal to the BPU would push out Tesla completely and be open for other EVs to get the full $4k, I’ll write more about it when I finish it.

But as it stands, yes a Tesla 3 RWD, would be eligible

1 Like

So basically just increase the ADM by $4k & 2k…i see

1 Like

It’s funny, the law that the Governor signed was very clear about a $5,000 dollar incentive (as long as you qualifed range wise) with no MSRP cap IIRC. It was also limited to FOUR redemptions throughout the 10 year duration of the program, not three. The NJ BPU keeps tweaking this program (I’m curious where they get the authority to ignore the law as it is written), making it worse and worse for potential EV buyers each year. I don’t even necessarily have a huge beef with some of these changes, aside from limiting people to three redemptions after initially promising four. I would have possibly proceeded in a different manner when I leased two Bolts if I had known that they would be stealing that out from under me.

3 Likes

I am not aware of the original text but almost always when an incentive program which doesn’t have its own statute or law (& even some of the statutory ones for that matter) the agency or the department in charge of running it is given the authority to make rules for implementing & operating the program.

I know you have done a lot of reading on this but i would be pretty certain that the BPU was given the authority in a blanket statement that gives them the authority to tweak the rules to meet the goals of the original program.

1 Like

Dealers may not include mark-ups or market price adjustments for which there is no specific line item or additional underlying value.

This is from the PDF.

How much nitrogen can you get for 4k?
earth weather GIF by Ficazo

1 Like

I’m sure you are right on that. I just don’t see why they didn’t word it as a program to be administered as the utility commission sees fit in the original bill that was signed. Why bother establishing specific rules if they are just meant for a bureaucracy to change at will anyway?

1 Like

Chaps my hide that you have to get it at a New Jersey dealer. I have a connection at a MD Chevy dealer and would get my parents a Bolt the day it launched if you could do post-purchase. C’est la vie :frowning:

I get your frustration, but again i would think that the bill didn’t codify or made the requirements as part of the statute, it probably was just allowing the government to provide incentives to increase EVs & EV infrastructure but allowed the agency incharge to make the rules. Again I’d probably would have to read the original text.

I do think that these changes are meant to provide more “accessibility” or in other words “stretch the funding”.

So found this from the early days of the charge up program.

Below is the language i found in the bill

The board would implement the rebate program until June 30 of the 10th year after the rebate program begins, or after $300 million in rebate disbursements have been paid from the fund, whichever occurs first. The board would establish the rebate as a one-time payment to the purchaser of a new light duty plug-in electric vehicle in an amount set and calculated by the department as equal to at least $25 per mile of the eligible vehicle’s electric power range as certified by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and determined by the DEP, up to a maximum of $5,000 per eligible vehicle. The board may adjust the rebate amount as necessary to achieve the goals outlined in the bill, but not more than once per aggregate disbursement of $100 million in rebates. The board, in consultation with the working group, would develop and implement a Statewide public education program to publicize the availability of the rebates under the bill. An “eligible” vehicle is defined in the bill as a new light duty plug-in electric vehicle with a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $55,000 or less, purchased after the effective date of the bill.

According to this text the only amounts that are required to adhered to is $25/mile, $5k maximum & $55k MSRP maximum. Other stuff is subject to change.

1 Like

Also i think the reason they made a change this year as it would be total spending of $90 million to meet the “once per $100 million” requirements.

In this environment with the NJ dealer limitation, I assume it will just drive prices up even more so the rebate is essentially worthless?

Anything worth looking into? Any chance an order would arrive in time since Tesla is exempt?

1 Like

Does anyone know if there is a start date yet?

At this time NJ doesn’t need to offer incentive for people to buy EVs, not only do they keep altering it for the worst, but it also runs out in matter 1-2 months? I don’t see how this helps many consumers, only benefits the dealers who will claim it for themselves.

Not yet.

$30 million divided by $5k means it helped put 6k EVs on the market i am sure it helped majority of the buyers if not all.

I know few people who ended up with an ev (non Tesla) cuz of the charge up program without ADM or fluff.

1 Like

It depends. Last year a Tesla Model 3 SR+ via this program was cheaper OTD than a Toyota Camry.

IDK have the data but anecdotally it seems NJ has more EV per capita than neighboring states.

But the implementation does leave a lot to be desired and has allowed certain dealers to replace a discount line item with a rebate line item and keep the OTD price the same for customers while essentially pocketing the rebate.