🚨 Charge Up NJ Phase 3 IS HERE (7/25/22)

It DOES let me edit this

1 Like

So what happens if you get the rebate and for whatever reason don’t keep the vehicle for 3 years? Does the gov’t ask for the money back?

the government doesn’t ask. they just take.

as per other who have sold the vehicle before the 3 years you can either

1. Contact them and get your prorated amount you need to pay back
  2. Don’t contact them

The person I know who didn’t say anything hasn’t had any communication from the state that I know of

But you will be signing a contract stating that you agree to the terms, it all at your own risk

@endeavorauto thanks for the update! So this is a point of sale rebate where the dealer (assuming you quality) will take the 4k off as the cap cost reduction and submit for the rebate themselves? or do you get the 4k back from the state later?

It’s point if sale, and it must be, if the dealer tell you otherwise they’re lying

1 Like

Is it ordering or taking delivery from 7/25 on?

Technically it’s both, it’s dependent on the kind of vehicle. If it was in stock and you took delivery 7/25 you’d get it, but if you placed an order 5 months ago and took delivery 7/25 you’d be ineligible.

Is it $55000 msrp or sale price? What if I can negotiate a $57000 msrp to $55000 sale price?

It’s in the program document linked here, starting on page 12. MSRP (not sale price) must be $54,999.99 or less, to be eligible for any incentive.

2 Likes

I got my Mach e in NJ in May 2022 & there were no funds for this program. Now it is funded but as I read it I am ineligible because I got mine before the 7/25/22 start date?

Correct. The prior phase was out of money, the current phase had not started. It’s a POS rebate so you would have received it from the eligible dealer if you met all the other terms, and bought it today. At least you didn’t pay sales tax on the mach-e

Leave it to NJ to screw up a good thing. They should have gone back to how they did it the first year and just let each person apply after the fact.

I ordered a stripped Mach-e in March to purposely squeak in under 45k knowing full well that they may include this stupid language that you must have “placed” your order after the start of the program. Well of course, Mach-e order banks have now closed. Waiting would have cost me the Ford rebate, pricing and financing that was available in March. Finding one on the lot now will be almost impossible and will also lose all the rebate and financing that was available at the time of order.

In addition, they are making dealers jump through hoops to get this money back (and making them front the discount) with no guarantee of getting their money back if all the paperwork is not in perfect order. And now they are adding restrictions on pricing above MSRP for dealers? When almost everything is selling above MSRP? Why would any dealer even bother with this shit?

1 Like

Because if they did everything right, it’s extra 4k for them.

& If i was in business, i’d make sure my paperwork was correct to get extra 4k for extra few minutes of work.

How is it an extra 4k for them? They need to front the 4k discount to the buyer and then request for reimbursement from the State to “hopefully” get it back.

And nothing dealing with NJ State government is “a few extra minutes of work”. I talked to a Ford dealer last year who participated and he indicated it was an absolute nightmare trying to get reimbursement and it took forever. And that was before any MSRP add on restriction that they have added for this year.

They don’t have to discount, they can sell at MSRP.

If you are referring to them not charging ADM & unnecessary fluff then I’m not too concerned about that as that condition is there to protect the consumer.

Sounds exactly like dealing with a dealer when purchasing a car. I bet they still did it cuz rebate was worth more than they paid the employees to deal with the issues.

Ask them if they’d not be participating in the CUNJ3?

I bet they still will.

I don’t think you understand how the program works. They can’t sell above MSRP AND they must front the discount to the buyer. Absolutely no benefit for the dealer.

Okay, i misunderstood the discount part but how is getting $4k from the state no benefit to the dealer if they can get an order for a car that they wouldn’t have otherwise gotten?

All the dealer is getting (if everything works perfectly regarding reimbursement and there is certainly no guarantee of that) is a straight MSRP deal.

Are there any EVs for sale in NJ currently under 55k MSRP that dealers are not able to sell all day long at MSRP or above? Maybe some Bolts and I don’t even think that is the case. So why would a dealer want to deal with the hassle and restrictions?

Perhaps a vehicle that you can order now at MSRP that a dealer wouldn’t otherwise have an allocation for might be a small benefit to the dealer. Maybe a Mach-e order if the order banks open up again in August. But even then, how long before you get it? $7500 fed rebate will be gone, etc… I’m sure there will be some benefit somewhere but overall, the State has made this extremely difficult.

The dealer is allowed to charge over MSRP they just need to associate it with some value.
For example a $4000 environment protection package.
Markup can also come via financing which isn’t regulated by the program at all.

1 Like