Charge Up New Jersey Year 2

It does seem a little odd that a minimum of 1,400 electric cars were sold on a Tuesday after a holiday weekend, potentially many more than that depending on what was sold.

1 Like

It’s probably mostly “reserved” funds. The applications wouldn’t process that quickly.

2 Likes

That’s 1400 EV’s if all of them avg 200 miles and >$45k MSRP to qualify for the full $5k incentive. 3500 EV’s if they only qualified for the $2k incentive.

Either way when taking an avg, it must be somewhere around 2500 applications that were submitted across a 12hr period (9am-9pm) when I took that screenshot, seems very fishy to me, but maybe dealers had early access to the system and were holding orders over the Holiday weekend.

1 Like

We might be leaving out people from December that applied and were waiting for funding.

2 Likes

Telsa dealers have been queuing orders to deliver first week in July for months.

If you look at the updated program rules that appears to be a problem though. Vehicles ordered prior to the Phase 2 launch are supposed to be ineligible.

1 Like

This is interesting. I dove back in the Tesla forums, no concrete answer for this, but it doesnt seem to hard to have the dealership just cancel your order and reissue on the delivery date.

I suppose not but it doesn’t sound like it would be hard for them to figure that out and end up freezing Tesla out of the entire program for fraud.

2 Likes

It seems a bit extreme to call it fraud.

You can cancel a Tesla order at any time, the cost is only the $100 deposit.

I am confident that if the pre-orders in NJ won’t qualify for the rebate they will get canceled.

I’m saying that if Tesla took orders for cars under the premise that they were eligible for the incentive and they weren’t because the program excluded them, that the customer and Tesla “dealership” could be viewed as committing fraud by canceling the order and completing a transaction on the exact same car after cancelation. I think the rule is BS, especially since you probably have people rolling around with dealer plates right now who put down deposits and credit apps on other makes but it is what it is.

1 Like

Fraud by the customer and/or Tesla is exactly what it is. Since Tesla doesn’t have dealerships, them being directly involved makes them complicit to fraud if they allow an order cancel, and allow for a new order by the same customer so it fits within the new Charge Up program window.

At the end of the day, as a NJ resident and taxpayer for over 30years, I have no issue calling this what it is, FRAUD!

1 Like

It’s point of sale already on a lease

I believe some of that is for people that purchased / leased in phase 1 and didn’t get rebates because of the December 15 cut off date.

1 Like

Tesla sales was known for holding off or speeding up deliveries to take advantage of incentives. I’m sure there were a ton of Teslas delivered yesterday lol

Yes, but that’s only because the bank fronts it to the customer and then claims it. Rumors were that it may be direct to consumer at point of sale for lease and purchase.

I just signed on a Niro EV and they added the $5k to the manufacturer incentives, so was POS to me

2 Likes

I was talking about proposed Federal, not NJ state.

Gotcha ——-

Can you please share the deal info?

1 Like

If you kept screaming Fraud in New Jersey every time you saw it happen, you would be very hoarse very day.

3 Likes