CHALLENGE! find a sporty car - below 350$ (incl. taxes) from OH willing to drive if needed

Jesus did you make that whole thing or did a broker send that to you? Post that bad boy up!

First of all, you need to decide what you want. Given from your excel sheet, you are looking at many features such as touch screen etc but you opened with: i want a good performance car with powerful engine with 300hp etc for $350-$400. So a BMW 430i which is on your list (but unlikely to be had at the price you want) isn’t going to have touch screen even if you get a deal. Does that mean it won’t make the cut?
You are looking at too many things and are overanalyzing.

What are you must-haves and what is your max you are willing to pay? Once you know that and look at the current lease deals offered, you will cut your list down to a handful of cars. Then you go drive those cars, decide which ones you actually can see yourself driving for 3 years then negotiate on those cars, bring us the offers and we’ll give you our feedback.

You are most likely not going to get everything you want and many cars on your list are out of reach if you spend a few min searching this forum you will know that.

I personally think that the most performance bang for your buck will be the Q50 and that will not be a car that will be difficult to get at the price you want.

1 Like

To his credit most dealers don’t list loaners/demos specifically. You’ve got to find the dealers that do lots of loaner/demos or call around a lot.

he supposedly spent 6 mo researching, he can research his way to a loaner, i’m pretty sure that’s doable

3 Likes

I don’t know that I agree with that. I’ve seen plenty of BMW dealers have a link for “former courtesy vehicles.” For the ones that don’t, look at the used cars that are current year…9x out of 10, those are service loaners, especially if they are under 5k.

1 Like

agree, MANY dealers have “specials” or “manager specials” etc on their site with loaners.

Most people don’t have the luxury of experience with tons of different cars and brands. Also there’s a bewildering ever expanding number of options between cars that mostly have no personality. It wasn’t until I started renting cars that I even knew what I wanted, and even then it’s still been hard to narrow it down.

For the price of the Q50 I’d MUCH MUCH rather spend a bit more and get a Giulia after driving them both. Only if the Q50 were $70+ less/mo would I consider it.

I’ve found it’s mostly hit or miss. They’ll have like 3 or 4 loaners listed with only original MSRP and some huge downpayment and monthly offer, or you have to know what to look for because it’s under “deals” and then under some other subsection. A few like Pacific are really well done though.

Do you guys understand that you got sucked into his challenge? :slight_smile:

7 Likes

You have to eventually draw the line somewhere, or you’ll be looking forever and never make a decision.

yep lol - all me ! long hard work

Well it’s not like there’s an unlimited number of cars/brands unless you start looking at used models, foreign imports older than 25 years, etc. 6 months is a bit much though, unless you’re only looking at cars like one day a month like I was.

so,
I put all the important stuff for me but I gave a specific weight for each category for grading, and all the grading is done by normal distribution to the other options in that table so they all compared to each other…

for example for 0-60, and torque you get a high weight where HP is a little less, and for touchscreen leather seats or remote start the grading is significantly lower but still counts.

I also see which deal is the best one by rating its RV MF incentives and discounts. (best bang for buck)

I drove each and every single one of the above and even added my own personal grading (extra) points in case I like or dislike the car.

and I highly apreciate your feedback regarding the Q50 :slight_smile:

regarding the rentals, for the last two years I drive rentals and I tried them all from the sporty / luxury / sub and even trucks.
(that will be my first ever lease in the US - I relocated here for work)

That’s impressive. Can you post a link on dropbox or something? I’m curious what all these columns are. I think it’d be impossible to keep it up to date though since deals are always changing.

For me it just depends on how I feel when I drive it. Is it comfortable? Quiet? Good Stereo? Decent Ergonomics and materials? Is it fun to drive? Do I look forward to driving it? Is the nearest dealership someplace I’d never ever want to return if I have an issue?

1 Like

link to excel

LINK

2 Likes

Bmw loaners are stupidly easy to find. Go to cars or autotrader etc. search used, bmw the car you want and miles under 10k. Almost any car that meets the criteria at a bmw dealership will be leaseable. Confirm via carfax.

Yes, but you have to have the experience to know that. Just like you have to have the experience to know how all the crazy BMW incentives work and what stacks with what under which circumstances, etc.

Ten minutes of reading will get you there if you search “bmw loaner”. I have posted this advice many times including the wiki.

Incentives change monthly and even what stacks has recently so we are all in that boat. Luckily we have some bmw reps on here to help.

2 Likes

Ok, so about the first half of it makes sense. The second half of the columns is pretty out there though. I’m scratching my head. It looks like you’ve factored in HP and Torque? Really these are abstract since cars will weigh different amounts, torque curves vary, and even the best numbers can suck to drive if the car has a crappy transmission. Also there’s Worth? RV & MF Value 2? Total Deal Value??

Also I think some of the prices are way off unless I’m missing something. Tiguan SEL for instance is nowhere near that much, and the Q50 I believe is about $50 - $100/mo more this month even under the best deal possible.