Cars that you had…..that you wish you never got rid of

Hell, many people got paid to drive a Camaro.

5 Likes

To Utah she goes :pleading_face:

Dad sold it before I had enough money to have a say … but I did get to drive it a few times incl from NYC to Toronto

9 Likes

Looks like a Mercedes’ what is it?

Belgian car, Gillet Vertigo. Gran Turismo players will know haha (think the game was out in early 2000s?)

3 Likes
  • My 2016 Fiesta ST. Whatte fantastic car that was
  • 2021 Accord Hybrid - consistent 48+ mpg

Miss both of them but CVNA happened :man_shrugging::rofl:

3 Likes

I’ve been fortunate enough to own a bunch of unique vehicles over the years…

Here’s my 1974 De Tomaso Pantera L with ugly 5MPH federalized safety bumpers…

These were sold new by select Lincoln-Mercury dealers in the US for $10K… it was sold in the US from 1971 to 1974…

Purchased mine used in 2002… tended to overheat in hot weather … an aftermarket radiator conversion solved the overheating problem…

Powered by a mid-engined Ford Cleveland 351 engine mated to a ZF transmission …

The Pantera had lots of workmanship issues… but the manufacturing plant in Italy was continually updating and improving the vehicle…

Only kept mine for a couple of years…

13 Likes

Ours was the silver one, didn’t have ‘Detomaso’ (sp) on the side like some. Step father was so tall, he had to cock his head sideways just to drive it. We had it up to 118 mph on a country road before he chickened out, and of course we never told mom. He traded it a few years after for a Lotus Esprit, courtesy James Bond Moonraker.

2 Likes

Lets blow the dust off of this thread and get some interesting discussion going in here. :face_holding_back_tears:

Purchased mine CPO, Touring w/ Sport Package, one-owner, clean as could be and spec’d as if I had ordered it myself. 6 speed.

Of the numerous vehicles that I’ve owned, this one probably hurts the most. I loved that car… true two seater coupe, no driving nannies at all, no gimmicky computer “luxury”. Raw. It also caught attention like you wouldn’t believe… even at the car shows surround by muscle/domestic cars. It handled like it was on rails and had plenty of power to be fun without having to reach triple digit speeds.

5 Likes

Squareback
My 1976 VW Squareback. Man a great car for surfing!

4 Likes

Its actually kind of a neat car. What year did you purchase it and do you recall the price?

Not my actual pictures, but similar looking:
1987 Volvo 740 GLE
1992 Acura Legend sedan 5-speed manual
1998 Honda Prelude Type SH
2001 Infiniti G20t

I also had a lifted '97 Jeep Wrangler Sport 5MT, but to be honest I am glad I got rid of that one, lol

Legend (looked like the sedan on the right):

Prelude:

Volvo 740:

G20t:

2 Likes

The Prelude was likely a fun car with the 5 speed. Some of those old Volvo’s proved to be fairly reliable cars.

I’ve been a big fan of Nissan/Infiniti for a long time, but it is difficult to remain passionate about the brands today. They have produced some great cars but they’ve become so stagnant. I waited & hoped for years on the new Z and I’m not thrilled about it.

1 Like

Bought it in the 1980 and kept it for a few short years then gave it away. The car was slow, unique and dependable. I would of love doing a retromod on it.

I don’t wish I kept any cars. That’s why I lease. There should be another thread of cars you had but wish you didn’t. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lease Boring cars? :sob:

Toyota Sera - got it when I was in Australia. It’s basically a corolla engine but that door is a head turner indeed. It also has a great driver seat. The design still looks great for 90’s car. Unfortunately it’s only RHD, otherwise I will look for one here.

3 Likes

These just got outdated cause of the new tech and quicker cars these days but I still slow down to drool on one of these if its a super clean one.
Almost 2 decades and its still the sexiest Acura ever made.

5 Likes

3rd gear :pinched_fingers:

@max_g i think so, I was 17 and it felt like like a rocket everytime I entered 3rd gear. reading the forums it looks like 4700rpm is when the proverbial ‘kick in the ass’ occurred.

3 Likes

Is that when VTEC kicks in?