Career Hackrs?

I am looking to switch jobs. While browsing Blind, which frankly triggers more anxiety than imparting actionable advice, I thought to myself — why not pick the brain of the brilliant minds here! It would be great if we could create a support network for career development here like we do for all kinds of other matters.

Here are my questions:

1. How do you go about referrals when you don’t know anyone within the interested organization? Is referral a must in order to get noticed if I want to get into a larger tech company? Any Airbnb folks here that can pass on a referral btw?
  2. What is the ethics and strategies around moonlighting? How do people go about disclosing or not disclosing it to their employers? Isn’t it hard to hide it when you don’t need a second health insurance as a single filer or when you chitchat with your colleagues (for example, what do you say to “You want to grab a drink after work?” Or “Could you stay a bit longer for this project?”)?
  3. Any company recommendations for remote work? I would love to get a remote job and was wondering if any of you have had positive experiences with a distributed team that you would share/recommend.

Thank you for everyone’s support!

So you’re saying LH isn’t paying enough?

8 Likes
  1. Referral definitely helps! Starting here is actually a brilliant idea. I once got a tech job offer because a guy I know from local soccer games knows the hiring manager. You would never know. Those referrals you got organically through work/networking would be the best but you can also cold-ask referrals from strangers on Blind, LinkedIn, etc. All big tech companies offer generous referral bonus to their employees so they can be very incentivized to refer you even they don’t know you.

2. I don’t think it would be an issue unless your are moonlighting a job with your employer’s competitors. My wife got her insurance from my employer instead of hers because my employer offers better plans. Plus, in big companies, there is no way a HR would raise a flag to your managers for not signing up your health insurance, which is your private information anyway. For afterwork activities, just say you have things to take care of at home or plans with your family. Be prepared to come to office for team building events 1-2 times a year for remote roles.

3. I don’t work in tech anymore but, through my and my friends’ experience, the flexible hybrid is best offering since you can choose to work from home or go to office based on your schedule on any given day. The problem is very few companies offer it. It’s mostly fully in-office, fully remote, or hybrid on a set schedule (e.g., in office MWF).

1 Like

I don’t work in tech, but is it common for contracts in your industry to contain language about this? It is not super uncommon in my industry for this to be part of the contract…

1 Like

Look for someone in your network who used to work there, or who knows people there. Attend some related MeetUps and see if you can find someone there or network through someone there.

As long as it isn’t a direct competitor it should be fine, often they want to know and it’s bragging rights for them (get your innovation elsewhere). I might not disclose in very first round of interviews but as it becomes serious. I dig into this more in my contacts because of intellectual property (I own mine, you own yours, what we create together can be a different story). Some companies that brag about patents ask for disclosures up front before hiring and then own everything while you work there. (Btw folks: take your patents off your resume — even the people who might care don’t)

Lots of them out there. My personal preference would be some colocation with the team when I start, but so much is mostly/100% remote now. One of my clients is 100% wfh and while the people are nice, 15 of them produced more in a week when I brought them into an onsite than they produced most of the past year. As much as I like wfh and my home office is better than any work office I ever had, I miss working in the office.

1 Like

I hear this a fair amount. I think most people don’t want to go in every weekday, but I think people do miss not going in, say, 1-2x/wk (except for the folks who have little kids).

I don’t work in corporate America, but I also think there is much that can be lost (on multiple levels) by not having the random, unexpected interactions that used to occur multiple times/day. I think people also just get sick of being at home (or having most of their day occur w/i a few ft of their bed).

1 Like

I need a stable full-time job so I can afford to work on LH. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Here’s something to look forward to:

Salary transparency laws take effect in NYC on 11/1 and CA on 1/1/23.

2 Likes

So it’s OK to disclose my intention to work 2 jobs to my potential new employer? I don’t own patents or plan to work at a competitor, but my impression is that employers would frown upon office workers taking two shifts?

I have never done remote work full-time before, but I can imagine that it can be isolating. My motivations behind working remote are traveling and having the flexibility to live somewhere cheaper. I want two jobs because in case I lose one, I still have another stream of income…

I don’t know anyone who partook in the Great Resignation. As a Millennial I have learned to hustle because nobody was there to take care of us when we entered the recession.

1 Like

This can vary greatly from situation to situation. It may not be to your benefit to put that on the table right upfront. Better to feel out each job with its requirements and potential return on hours worked.

While I can completely relate to the sentiment behind it, I don’t necessarily think this is a good way to go about your career. As much we hate to lock ourselves in and eliminate choices and options, it’s usually more beneficial in the long run to go all in on something.

I am a senior level Manager for a fortune 100 IT B2B Distributor, where I recruit for not just my business unit but also the company as a whole. Here are my thoughts.

1. How do you go about referrals when you don’t know anyone within the interested organization? Is referral a must in order to get noticed if I want to get into a larger tech company? Any Airbnb folks here that can pass on a referral btw?

• Referrals can make or break a potential opportunity. The right referral, which is hard to come by. You would want a referral from a hi-potential employee within the org, not just anyone working there. In my company for example, reaching out to the recruiters directly is the best chance you will have outside of knowing someone well known giving you a referral. You can try your luck at reaching out to workers within the company on LinkedIn, but its a numbers game which is not going to be very efficient. Most would assume you are trying to sell them something if you reach out asking for their time.

• I would say, add all your known contacts / friends of friends on LinkedIn and reach out to those you may be able to get in front of. Old college friends, hell even old high school friends, start networking asap. Don’t bother reaching out with the whole, Hey how are you? Be direct about it. “Hey ABC, we haven’t talked much since high school but I see you are working at XYZ company, I am looking for a new opportunity and would love to hear straight from you how you are liking it, hope to catch up with you soon, appreciate any feedback you can provide, I will owe you a drink!”

2. What is the ethics and strategies around moonlighting? How do people go about disclosing or not disclosing it to their employers? Isn’t it hard to hide it when you don’t need a second health insurance as a single filer or when you chitchat with your colleagues (for example, what do you say to “You want to grab a drink after work?” Or “Could you stay a bit longer for this project?”)?

• I think this is really dependent on the manager. I am flexible with my team as long as they get their work done and it doesn’t interfere with their working hours, also can’t be a direct competitor for obvious reasons. It also helps that I will never expect overtime or early shifts, and truly believe people can use their time off whenever the hell they want, as long as they communicate effectively.

• I would say if the moonlighting is akin to Uber or contractual work that does NOT interfere or compromise your job, leave it at the door.

3. Any company recommendations for remote work? I would love to get a remote job and was wondering if any of you have had positive experiences with a distributed team that you would share/recommend.

• IT Sales in general right now is heavily targeting remote workers. Just depends on what you want to do. There are many SMB / Mid Market IT resellers / managed service providers hiring for inside sales positions that could pay in the $50k to $60k range to start. Business Development can get you into the $70’s to $100s. Just not sure of your experience level.
1 Like

I don’t have any recommendations but I will say that I highly recommend seeking fully remote work. I’ve been remote for virtually my entire career and wouldn’t have it any other way. Affords incredible flexibility and allows you to juggle more.

1 Like

your network/professsional relationships >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything else
remote is a blessing. literally game changing in productivity while wearing pj’s. but i do miss the free starbucks at the office on a blue moon.

whatever you do, don’t go into teaching.

3 Likes

My personal opinion on moonlighting/side business, is you shouldn’t do it if it interferes with your normal 9 to 5, and if it doesn’t no one needs to know about it.

I am an engineer and have had no problems getting leads when I have wanted to switch jobs, linkedin though can be a big help, My last two jobs have been through recruiting agencies, I recommend at least talking to a few.

Also don’t work yourself to death, I respect the hustle, but if you absolutely have to have a second job, make it something you love/is a hobby so it doesn’t feel like work.

A blessing in disguise…but Victoria already has this in hand.

What job(s) are looking for?

Lots of companies offer remote options. If you are already on LinkedIn, you can search for jobs that are remote. I’ve been remote since the pandemic.

FWIW, there are a lot of tech companies out there from startups (private) to public. There are also a lot of different industries such a as Fintech, Healthcare IT, Cyber security, Collaboration / Communication tools, Social Media, Software, etc.

I posted this in another thread a while back, but the tech industry is going through some uncertainty when it comes to jobs. Lots of companies have been laying off staff and freezing hiring, given market conditions. However, there are still companies hiring and looking for good talent.

One more piece of advice - If you are looking to get your foot into the Tech door, now might not be the best time, unless you have transferrable experience.

My $0.02.

EDIT: https://builtin.com/ is a good resource for available jobs at tech startups.

1 Like

Lookup my friend Jerryjhlee on insta. He’s got a lot of tips and tricks when looking to change jobs, how to network, how to get jobs through referrals at companies where you don’t know anyone, etc.

I helped my sister switch to a big consulting firm I used to work for but I had to introduce her to 10-15 people who she chatted with before she chatted with someone she connected with who referred her and she was able to get an interview.

1 Like

I think moonlighting varies on the profession you work in and how companies feel about it. In my line of work intellectual property and NDA’s are very common so I think companies have more of a reason to care what you might be doing outside of the office. Regardless of this, only 1 company of the 10-15 I have interviewed with in my career ever asked and strictly prohibited it.

I don’t believe it is something that should be mentioned or talked about during the interview or with colleagues down the road. Its always possible some people may look at it the wrong way. Its great to be proud of what you do but save that for friends and family, coworkers or bosses don’t need to know.

Otherwise, unless your employment contract or duties specifically has conditions about availability outside of normal working hours I see it as no different than signing off for the day to go coach little league. As long as you are not on the clock and what you are working on does not take clients away from your employer or immediately compete with them, go for it.

1 Like

In previous role, have been in Human Resources and hiring processes-- No organization I’ve seen unless at a very high level prohibits anything more than working other job for direct competitors or in same industry. Usually the handbook/contract language will say such. I doubt I’d bring it up in an interview or during orientation. Like someone else said, if it’s wildly different (i.e. Uber or whatever), I’d not worry about it at all.

Referrals are great. That’s how I have my most recent role (though in the same company I’ve been with for 15). Is LinkedIn a possibility? You could also cold email/cold call some people in the organization whose contact info is public (don’t go digging super deep – they may ask how you got their info).

The market and hiring mindset definitely have changed. I can’t speak for tech but many employers are OK seeing 3 or 4 jumps within a 5 year time period, they realize the talent pool is changing. That’s why you see so many benefits and “frills” packages added and changing.

2 Likes