Can I charge an EQS SUV using my dryer plug from second floor apartment?

Thank you every one for your great help.

Looks like no EV for me till I get house built. Going to put enough solar on it to power the cars and home for free.

For now ima stick with new GLE/ CPO GLS.

Dont think GLS got a face lift this year unlike GLE 2024.

Going to pollut the air for 2-3 more years. Feels kinda shitty but not much I can do right now I guess.

1 Like

There’s something like this, I think it’s OK?

1 Like

Can anyone recommend level 2 charger? I just leased eqs and have 220v outlet in the garage. Don’t want to buy expensive since won’t keep the car for long but don’t want to buy cheap for safety. Also too lazy to charge for free at their ChargePoint free rates

figure out what type of 220v you have before you go buy a level 2 with the right output.
Your dryer plug could be just 30A

Without having easy access to a charger, you are going to regret owning an EV. There will be more than a few times you will need your car without enough charge to get you where you want to be .

1 Like

@perdana sells chargers through the startup he works at

1 Like

ok so now I’m looking at 2024 GLE 450 plug-in coming out this summer for that sweet 7.5k rebate, Do the new plug-ins charge themself using the electricity created while driving on gas?

1 Like

Charge themselves? No, they just keep running on gas and charge the tiny 12V battery used to start.
And the efficiency of using a Gas Powered Motor to charge an Electric Battery to power a Hybrid car is pretty bad.

Edit : Let me double check that as I heard about a PHEV that actually uses the motor to charge the car, ah that was the Mazda Rotary and it’s experimental.

1 Like

do you think running a regular 110v 20-30feet cable from second-floor apartment out the window would charge the 30kwh battery overnight?

we do have 110v plugs at the warehouse but I have to hide the cable and park the vehicles in my truck’s loading gate.

That’s really dangerous you know especially as the ‘bend’ in the window to the ground can cut that wire pretty fast.

Here’s what I know.

• GLE 450 is 70 mile range
  • Level 1 110v is 5miles per hour (So this is 14 hour charge from empty)
  • Level 2 (Slow) (220v) dryer plug is 10 miles per hour. (so 7 hours)
1 Like

My work is like 5mins away/4.5miles from my apartment and so the vehicle would be parked at the apartment for most of the day (10) or at the warehouse (10-12H) while I work.

ty for the numbers, 5 miles per hour sounds perfect, idk where you getting 70 miles, iv heard it’s only 30-40max, but that’s from a tester who rode and empty the battery recently.

40 max / 5 = 8 hours not bad. 99% of the time the battery would just need to be topped off for 2-3hours it seems.

I could just charge it up at the warehouse for free lol

There’s a guy who I believe is based out of Jersey City, NJ with the IG handle ubuygas who utilizes a very similar setup, although he wraps his cord around a utility pole or tree so it does not cause a trip hazard on the ground. Id be wary of this as drawn for a variety of reasons but the biggest would be trip hazards. At the very least you would need a cover for the cord to prevent anyone from getting hurt and you being liable for it.

1 Like

Itll charge itself just like every other normal hybrid does. It wont generate a significant amount of excess charge like you get when plugging in though.

1 Like

Charge there and forget the out-the-window death trap.

5 Likes

I would heavily recommend to NOT plug this into the wall in your place and run the cable outside, just use the plug at work. The cables that come with the level 1 charger from MBZ is quite short (intended to be used indoor in a garage) and you are not supposed to use any type of extension cord. Just imagine if someone trips themselves or a fire starts, you could face a legal nightmare and you’d deserve it IMO.

1 Like

Don’t get too excited. If it’s anything like the iX or Volvo C40 programs, the rebate might as well not be there.

Yes there’s a $7,500 line item on the paperwork but the RV and MF are so bad it’s still a bad lease.

1 Like

I was hoping apartment insurance would cover it

so better just to lease/buy a regular 350 4matic?

Man…you’d be risking a ton to save a few bucks on gas, how would that ever be worth it? Have you noticed that everyone has said do not do this? The people here have said it, the manufacturer has said it, the electrical codes say it…don’t do it.

Edit- what if it started a fire that spread to other units below you? What if someone burned to death from your action?

3 Likes