California Proposes upping EV Rebate (CVRP) from $2500 to $10k

I thought this would be of interest to some on the forum here.

From the Los Angeles Times :slight_smile:

The California Legislature is pushing forward a bill that would double down on the rebate program. Sextuple down, in fact.
If $449 million can’t do it, the thinking goes, maybe $3 billion will.
That’s the essence of the plan that could lift state rebates from $2,500 to $10,000 or more for a compact electric car, making, for example, a Chevrolet Bolt EV electric car cost the same as a gasoline-driven Honda Civic.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-hy-electric-vehicle-subsidies-20170828-htmlstory.html

This could make for some fabulous EV leases.

5 Likes

It’s worth watching! 3 billion is a lot of money to throw at this. I’ll be upset if they increase income taxes even further to fund this idea.

Hello free leases. Real question is weather it will go up that hig.

I may be leasing a room in CA to lease a cheap car for here in GA…

Let me know if you do- I’m a realtor that covers all of southern CA.

1 Like

Following this thread…hopefully it will happen!!

PSEG is doing this in NJ but only on LEAF.

Mail me. I’m planning to lease a house pretty soon.

This is a good news to the people who will love electric cars. I think I will contact my broker if when this will take effect. Thanks for sharing here!

We need to raise your taxes so those who can afford a Tesla S can get a subsidy.

1 Like

Fixed that for you. Most of the people who can afford Teslas won’t qualify for the CA rebate.

California, the next state most likely to go bankrupt, and handing money out likes it Monopoly money :ring::ring::ring:

1 Like

Doubtful. Pretty large economy, 7th largest in fact.

1 Like

Where does the 4X money come from to pay those rebates? Taxpayers, at some point people say “Uncle” and walk away. With more people leaving the state than moving to the state, you gotta wonder how long till ur upside down.

@amasih

Unfortunately rents are at all time highs here. That would end up eating up all the savings and put you in a hole…lol

So for the $32.5k MSRP Leaf, we’ll then get maybe a $3k dealer discount, $10k Nissan rebate, $10k California CVRP rebate, $7500 Fed Tax Credit, and if you live in San Diego the $10k SDGE. Total ==> $8k profit.

So could then pocket the $8k in rebates then drive or scrap the car as you wish. Or they could pay you around ~$500/month to lease it.

Seems like a good deal to me !

wow, that would be nuts. The fiscal conservative side of me says this is a totally ridiculous use of taxpayer money. The soon to be Tesla owner side of me is saying, yes please!!! I’d be thrilled about an extra 10k in tax credits but I absolutely don’t think anyone else should have to cover the cost of my car. You can be assured I’m not turning it down though if they offer it. :slight_smile:

there’s already a 10k rebate in California, but it’s only for corporate companies and govt

Interesting. I didn’t know about that. Wish I qualified for that :frowning: